tramp fails with ssh method, scp method works

tramp fails with ssh method, scp method works

Timur Aydin
I'm using emacs tramp to connect to an embedded system runnig yocto
linux and open a file. But tramp fails with the following error:

Wrong method specification for 'ssh'

The file spec is /ssh:root@10.2.1.92:/var/log/messages

Attached is the tramp-verbose 10 output for the fail case.

When I use the scp method, I am able to open the file without problem.

When I try the same thing with the desktop PC where I have emacs
running, the problem doesn't happen. So the issue is specified to the
embedded system. One thing noteworthy is that the embedded system is
missing the base64 program. I remember having an issue related to this
in the past, but I don't know if it's relevant to the current problem.

What else can I do to further debug this?

--
Timur Aydın
TEL: 536 939 65 88

ssh_fail.txt (623K) Download Attachment

Re: tramp fails with ssh method, scp method works

Timur Aydin
On 12/8/19 9:58 PM, Timur Aydin wrote:

> I'm using emacs tramp to connect to an embedded system runnig yocto
> linux and open a file. But tramp fails with the following error:
>
> Wrong method specification for 'ssh'
>
> The file spec is /ssh:root@10.2.1.92:/var/log/messages
>
> Attached is the tramp-verbose 10 output for the fail case.
>
> When I use the scp method, I am able to open the file without problem.
>
> When I try the same thing with the desktop PC where I have emacs
> running, the problem doesn't happen. So the issue is specified to the
> embedded system. One thing noteworthy is that the embedded system is
> missing the base64 program. I remember having an issue related to this
> in the past, but I don't know if it's relevant to the current problem.
>
> What else can I do to further debug this?

Just for completeness, I have invoked emacs -Q and the same problem
happens with /ssh method. And the problem goes away with the /scp method.

--
Timur Aydın

Re: tramp fails with ssh method, scp method works

Michael Albinus
Timur Aydin <[hidden email]> writes:

Hi Timur,

> I'm using emacs tramp to connect to an embedded system runnig yocto
> linux and open a file. But tramp fails with the following error:
>
> Wrong method specification for 'ssh'
>
> The file spec is /ssh:root@10.2.1.92:/var/log/messages
>
> Attached is the tramp-verbose 10 output for the fail case.
>
> When I use the scp method, I am able to open the file without problem.
>
> When I try the same thing with the desktop PC where I have emacs
> running, the problem doesn't happen. So the issue is specified to the
> embedded system. One thing noteworthy is that the embedded system is
> missing the base64 program. I remember having an issue related to this
> in the past, but I don't know if it's relevant to the current problem.
>
> What else can I do to further debug this?

This sounds like a known bug, <https://debbugs.gnu.org/35639>. A patch
is in preparation, but we are waiting for the end of the assignment
process for Jeronimo, for legal purposes of contributions to Emacs.

If your local system runs GNU/Linux, it might be worth to use the sftp
method instead. This uses GVFS for connection to the remote system, and
shouldn't suffer from this problem.

Best regards, Michael.

RE: bug#35639: tramp fails with ssh method, scp method works

Drew Adams
Please don't duplicate a bug thread in [hidden email].  Please pick only one or the other.