selection-coding-system and pasting to Firefox

selection-coding-system and pasting to Firefox

Brendan Halpin
I've had problems pasting from Emacs 21 to firefox (under Debian),
and have stumbled on a solution:

M-x set-selection-coding-system RET iso-latin-1-unix RET

I can now paste to firefox (and paste strings with accented
characters to xclipboard, which was my workaround).

Question: what do I lose or risk by setting selection-coding-system
away from the default, compound-text-with-extensions?

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,  University of Limerick,  Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

Re: selection-coding-system and pasting to Firefox

B.T. Raven

"Brendan Halpin" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> I've had problems pasting from Emacs 21 to firefox (under Debian),
> and have stumbled on a solution:
>
> M-x set-selection-coding-system RET iso-latin-1-unix RET
>
> I can now paste to firefox (and paste strings with accented
> characters to xclipboard, which was my workaround).
>
> Question: what do I lose or risk by setting selection-coding-system
> away from the default, compound-text-with-extensions?
>
> Brendan

Don't know. The keybinding for this is C-x RET x. ls there a way to make
this work in w32? I want to copy from emacs buffer (utf-8) and paste
into Outlook Express.

Thanks,

Ed

"B.T. Raven" <[hidden email]> writes:

> "Brendan Halpin" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
[...]
> > Question: what do I lose or risk by setting selection-coding-system
> > away from the default, compound-text-with-extensions?
> >
> > Brendan
>
> Don't know. The keybinding for this is C-x RET x. ls there a way to make
> this work in w32? I want to copy from emacs buffer (utf-8) and paste
> into Outlook Express.

Experiment: press TAB at the "Coding system for X selection" prompt
that you get, and try some of the options (e.g. iso-8859-1-dos or
utf8-dos).

Brendan