say how to avoid making TeX files on installation

say how to avoid making TeX files on installation

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
(info "(tramp) Installation parameters") says

     Warnings let ‘configure’ (and the whole installation process)
  continue, but parts of Tramp aren’t installed.  This can happen with
  missing or wrong versions of ‘texi2dvi’ or ‘install-info’.  Here you can
  decide yourself whether you want to renounce on the related feature
  (‘tramp.dvi’ file for printed output, Tramp entry in Info’s ‘dir’ file),
  or whether you want to adapt your ‘PATH’ environment variable, and rerun
  ‘configure’.  An alternative is calling the missed parts manually later
  on.

Many people might not even own a paper printer etc.

Please there say how to do
$ BLA=xyz make
to avoid trying to make TeX files, etc.

Re: say how to avoid making TeX files on installation

Michael Albinus
積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[hidden email]> writes:

> (info "(tramp) Installation parameters") says
>
>      Warnings let ‘configure’ (and the whole installation process)
>   continue, but parts of Tramp aren’t installed.  This can happen with
>   missing or wrong versions of ‘texi2dvi’ or ‘install-info’.  Here you can
>   decide yourself whether you want to renounce on the related feature
>   (‘tramp.dvi’ file for printed output, Tramp entry in Info’s ‘dir’ file),
>   or whether you want to adapt your ‘PATH’ environment variable, and rerun
>   ‘configure’.  An alternative is calling the missed parts manually later
>   on.
>
> Many people might not even own a paper printer etc.
>
> Please there say how to do
> $ BLA=xyz make
> to avoid trying to make TeX files, etc.

The paragraph above is not about calling 'make', but about warnings from
'configure'. When running 'make', Tramp avoids calls of programs, which
were not detected during 'configure'.

Best regards, Michael.

Re: say how to avoid making TeX files on installation

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
MA> When running 'make', Tramp avoids calls of programs, which
MA> were not detected during 'configure'.

configure: WARNING: texi2dvi doesn't work, check $TEXINPUTS
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jidanni/Downloads/tramp/texi'
makeinfo --no-warn --no-split -D  installchapter --footnote-style=end -o ../info/tramp tramp.texi
cp dir_sample ../info/dir
install-info --quiet --info-dir=../info/   ../info/tramp
makeinfo --no-warn --no-split -D  installchapter --dvi -o tramp.dvi tramp.texi
You don't have a working TeX binary (tex) installed anywhere in
your PATH, and texi2dvi cannot proceed without one.  If you want to use
this script, you'll need to install TeX (if you don't have it) or change
your PATH or TEX environment variable (if you do).  See the --help
output for more details.

For information about obtaining TeX, please see http://tug.org/texlive,
or do a web search for TeX and your operating system or distro.

On Debian you can install a working TeX system with
  apt-get install texlive
Makefile:89: recipe for target 'dvi' failed
make[1]: [dvi] Error 1 (ignored)
makeinfo --no-warn --no-split -D  installchapter --html -o tramp.html tramp.texi
makeinfo --no-warn --no-split -D  installchapter --pdf -o tramp.pdf tramp.texi
You don't have a working TeX binary (tex) installed anywhere in
your PATH, and texi2dvi cannot proceed without one.  If you want to use
this script, you'll need to install TeX (if you don't have it) or change
your PATH or TEX environment variable (if you do).  See the --help
output for more details.

For information about obtaining TeX, please see http://tug.org/texlive,
or do a web search for TeX and your operating system or distro.

On Debian you can install a working TeX system with
  apt-get install texlive
Makefile:89: recipe for target 'pdf' failed
make[1]: [pdf] Error 1 (ignored)
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jidanni/Downloads/tramp/texi'

Re: say how to avoid making TeX files on installation

Michael Albinus
積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[hidden email]> writes:

Hi Dan,

> MA> When running 'make', Tramp avoids calls of programs, which
> MA> were not detected during 'configure'.
>
> configure: WARNING: texi2dvi doesn't work, check $TEXINPUTS
> Makefile:89: recipe for target 'dvi' failed
> make[1]: [dvi] Error 1 (ignored)
> Makefile:89: recipe for target 'pdf' failed
> make[1]: [pdf] Error 1 (ignored)

Oops, yes. I've fixed this in the Tramp repository.

Best regards, Michael.