reworking the EmacsWiki Emms page

Yoni Rabkin-2

Hello all,

The EmacsWiki Emms page (https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EMMS) is a
mess, and has been for a very long time. Peter Prevos has agreed to
tackle this daunting task and do a rework. For more background about why
it is daunting, see: https://communitywiki.org/wiki/LackOfReworking

EmacsWiki is based on Oddmuse (https://oddmuse.org/), which has the
saving grace of being very easy to edit. There is some guidance
available regarding editing here:
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HowToEdit#h5o-1

What I would like to see is a page which starts similarly to:
https://lucidmanager.org/productivity/configure-emms/

Previously existing content, assuming that it isn't completely
anachronistic, can be either removed or placed into a "discussion"
category.

Once the page has been reworked I will add updating it to the Emms
release process. It would be great if for every release we could have
something like:

"""
New in version 6.0:

    Emms is now available via the GNU ELPA repository.
    New info method: tinytag.
    New info method: exiftool.
    emms-volume.el: Fix missing quote in emms-volume-change-function.
    namespace cleanup (emms-later-do.el).
"""

Re: reworking the EmacsWiki Emms page

Yoni Rabkin-2
Yoni Rabkin <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> The EmacsWiki Emms page (https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EMMS) is a
> mess, and has been for a very long time. Peter Prevos has agreed to
> tackle this daunting task and do a rework. For more background about why
> it is daunting, see: https://communitywiki.org/wiki/LackOfReworking

Any luck with tackling this?

Re: reworking the EmacsWiki Emms page

Yoni Rabkin-2

Also, if someone can help updating and maintining the wikipedia entry
for Emms, that would be appreciated as well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMMS_(media_player)

Re: reworking the EmacsWiki Emms page

Tim Landscheidt

maybe unpopular opinion, but: I don't like EmacsWiki :-).
People often use it to dump their configurations without any
consideration what a potential reader might want or just
need.

Nearly all content either belongs, in a curated manner, in
the manual for the particular software or probably nowhere
at all :-).  That way the information is coupled with the
code and programmers can update the former when changing the
latter (or even just be aware of it).

So I'd prefer to integrate the universal information into
the EMMS manual, (maybe) add a FAQ section for more obscure,
but reasonable configurations, a TODO file for not-immedi-
ately-fixable bug reports/suggestions and recommend users
outline their configurations in mailing list articles and/or
blog posts and link them from the manual, regularly deleting
without remorse any links that are no longer available or
describe configurations that most likely no longer work.

But reworking the EmacsWiki page now will only lead to it
being outdated again in five or ten years down the road.

Tim