"Intelligent" non-proportional font

Sébastien Vauban
Hi all,

Could someone tell me the name of an "intelligent" font,
i.e. (following my definition) a font where the number `1'
("one") is differently written than the letter `l' ("elle")?
That's the only problem I have with the current "Courrier New"
I've got on my PC.

I'm searching for such one in my Emacs (on Windows), but *not
proportional* (and, if fact, as closest as possible to Courrier
New).

It could/should be one like the one shown on a sample of SLIME's
use; see:

    http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/images/more-slime.png

Seb

--
S??bastien Vauban

Re: "Intelligent" non-proportional font

Roberto Huelga
On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 12:01 +0200, Sébastien Vauban wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Could someone tell me the name of an "intelligent" font,
> i.e. (following my definition) a font where the number `1'
> ("one") is differently written than the letter `l' ("elle")?
> That's the only problem I have with the current "Courrier New"
> I've got on my PC.
>
> I'm searching for such one in my Emacs (on Windows), but *not
> proportional* (and, if fact, as closest as possible to Courrier
> New).
>
> It could/should be one like the one shown on a sample of SLIME's
> use; see:

What's the best font, it's very personaly. For me it's the BitStream
Vera Sans Mono.
Here you have a realy good reviews http://www.lowing.org/fonts/ with a
22 top ranking.

--
Roberto Huelga <[hidden email]>

Re: "Intelligent" non-proportional font

Peter Dyballa

Am 01.06.2005 um 12:01 schrieb Sébastien Vauban:

> Could someone tell me the name of an "intelligent" font,
> i.e. (following my definition) a font where the number `1'
> ("one") is differently written than the letter `l' ("elle")?

There are a few choices left:

Lucida Console
Lucida Sans Typewriter (from Java Runtime Environment or SDK)
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono (a donation to GNOME,
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/ttf-bitstream-vera/1.10/)

The following have only one face (yet):
Everson Mono Unicode (http://www.evertype.com/emono/emmac.html,
http://www.evertype.com/emono/index.html)
ProFontWindows Regular (http://forum.tobiasjung.net)
Amadeaus SImPL Regular (two versions around, the second one is
problematic due to design rules, designed by Philip Chastney for APL,
no URLs saved ...)
--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen
                                  <]

Re: "Intelligent" non-proportional font

Rich Kaszeta
Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am 01.06.2005 um 12:01 schrieb S?bastien Vauban:
>
> > Could someone tell me the name of an "intelligent" font,
> > i.e. (following my definition) a font where the number `1'
> > ("one") is differently written than the letter `l' ("elle")?
>
> There are a few choices left:
>
> Lucida Console
> Lucida Sans Typewriter (from Java Runtime Environment or SDK)

Careful with Lucida San Typewriter and Lucida Console, since most
versions of it I have the difference between O and 0 is too subtle to
be picked up out-of-context.  If the original poster is looked for 1/l
distinction, then that's probably an issue.

Not all implementations have this problem, but many do.

--
Richard W Kaszeta
[hidden email]

Re: "Intelligent" non-proportional font

Sébastien Vauban
I already tested Lucida Console, but the fact it's sans serif
annoys me a bit, and - moreover - the fact its bold version
takes much more space, changing completely the layout.

Thanks for the pointers. It's a really good place to look
further.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
S??bastien Vauban

Re: "Intelligent" non-proportional font

Sébastien Vauban
Hi Richard,

> > > Could someone tell me the name of an "intelligent" font,
> > > i.e. (following my definition) a font where the number `1'
> > > ("one") is differently written than the letter `l' ("ell")?
> >
> > There are a few choices left:
> >
> > Lucida Console
> > Lucida Sans Typewriter (from Java Runtime Environment or SDK)
>
> Careful with Lucida San Typewriter and Lucida Console, since most
> versions of it I have the difference between O and 0 is too subtle to
> be picked up out-of-context.  If the original poster is looked for 1/l
> distinction, then that's probably an issue.

You're absolutely right.

Which font would you advice, then?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
S??bastien Vauban

Re: "Intelligent" non-proportional font

> Could someone tell me the name of an "intelligent" font,
> i.e. (following my definition) a font where the number `1'
> ("one") is differently written than the letter `l' ("elle")?
> That's the only problem I have with the current "Courrier New"
> I've got on my PC.

Try -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-SemiCondensed--13-*.  It's a standard bitmap X11
font but you should be able to get it to work with NTEmacs (via BDF
support).

Re: "Intelligent" non-proportional font

Johan Kullstam-2
S?bastien Vauban <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Could someone tell me the name of an "intelligent" font,
> i.e. (following my definition) a font where the number `1'
> ("one") is differently written than the letter `l' ("elle")?
> That's the only problem I have with the current "Courrier New"
> I've got on my PC.
>
> I'm searching for such one in my Emacs (on Windows), but *not
> proportional* (and, if fact, as closest as possible to Courrier
> New).

I like the gnu internation fonts.

Download
ftp://aeneas.mit.edu/pub/gnu/intlfonts/intlfonts-1.2.1-split/European.tar.gz

Unpack them into, e.g., "c:/dir/".

And put
(setq w32-bdf-filename-alist (w32-find-bdf-fonts
                              '("c:/dir/intlfonts-1.2/European")))
(setq window-font "-etl-fixed-medium-r-*-*-18-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1")
(when window-system (set-frame-font window-font))
into your .emacs.

This gives a decent font.

I am searching for good looking X fonts with pixel heights of 20-21
pixels and larger.  Displays have 100 dpi or even 120 dpi but new
fonts haven't appeared to make human eye readable displays at those
resolutions.  Any hints?

--
Johan KULLSTAM <[hidden email]> sysengr

Re: "Intelligent" non-proportional font

Emilio Lopes
S??bastien Vauban <ewgeocaufsfb <at> spammotel.com> writes:

> > > There are a few choices left:
> > >
> > > Lucida Console
> > > Lucida Sans Typewriter (from Java Runtime Environment or SDK)
> >
> > Careful with Lucida San Typewriter and Lucida Console, since most
> > versions of it I have the difference between O and 0 is too subtle to
> > be picked up out-of-context.  If the original poster is looked for 1/l
> > distinction, then that's probably an issue.
>
> Which font would you advice, then?

See

   http://www.lowing.org/fonts/
   http://keithdevens.com/wiki/ProgrammerFonts