python.el and pydoc

Sébastien "G."

Hello.

I use Emacs and Python.el since more than 6 years and I find it really
practical and effective. However, I only discover recently, on MELPA
repo, it exist an Emacs package called pydoc[1] who provide access to
the Python documentation. It's unfortunate to not having this feature in
python.el.

I have contacted the author of the Pydoc Emacs package and he is not
against the idea to include his code to python.el. What do you think? Is
it possible and, if yes, how?

Best regards.
@+
-------
Séb

GPG ID: 4DFC 4DE5 19B9 D13C

Re: python.el and pydoc

Stefan Monnier
> I use Emacs and Python.el since more than 6 years and I find it really
> practical and effective. However, I only discover recently, on MELPA
> repo, it exist an Emacs package called pydoc[1] who provide access to
> the Python documentation. It's unfortunate to not having this feature in
> python.el.
>
> I have contacted the author of the Pydoc Emacs package and he is not
> against the idea to include his code to python.el. What do you think? Is
> it possible and, if yes, how?

Sounds like a great idea.  As for how:
- make it a patch to python.el
- send it here
- make sure the author has signed the needed paperwork

Re: python.el and pydoc

Sébastien "G."
Le mardi 21 août 2018 à 09:36 -0400, Stefan Monnier a écrit :
> - make sure the author has signed the needed paperwork

One of the contributors say he had already assigned FSF copyright for
Org mode.  Is that sufficient?

Re: python.el and pydoc

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Sébastien "G." <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 02:03:42 +0200
>
> Le mardi 21 août 2018 à 09:36 -0400, Stefan Monnier a écrit :
> > - make sure the author has signed the needed paperwork
>
> One of the contributors say he had already assigned FSF copyright for
> Org mode.  Is that sufficient?

We need that all the contributors have an assignment on file.

Re: python.el and pydoc

Stefan Monnier
>> Le mardi 21 août 2018 à 09:36 -0400, Stefan Monnier a écrit :
>> > - make sure the author has signed the needed paperwork
>> One of the contributors say he had already assigned FSF copyright for
>> Org mode.  Is that sufficient?
> We need that all the contributors have an assignment on file.

Except for those whose contribution is too small to matter, of course
(or has been over-written in the mean time).

Re: python.el and pydoc

Van L

> (or has been over-written in the mean time)

A fossilizing approach avoids the distant future
reinventing a forgotten technique or wheel, tho.