prompt has changed with an update

Thomas Lynch
Hello,

Recently my prompt has changed on shells raised with Tramp.  I use dirtrack, so this messes up Emacs royally.

For example, given this bit of code

  (defun shell-make (dir buffer-name)
    (let* (
           (default-directory dir)
           (buffer (get-buffer-create buffer-name))
           )
      (set-buffer buffer)
      (shell buffer)
      ))
  (defun shell-root   () (interactive) (shell-make "/sudo::/root" "shell-root"))

This is the bashrc file for root, which used to set the prompt:
  export PS1='\n$(/usr/local/bin/Z) \u@\h§\w§\n# '

but the prompt that now shows up after m-x shell-root :
  /sudo:[hidden email]:/root #$

I don't know where this latter prompt is coming from.

Have I inadvertently messed something up, or is there some new setting with Tramp somewhere?   .. I am a bit of a script kitty when it comes to Emacs and Tramp ... so please excuse me if this is not a well formed question.  I don't get, for example, why setting the buffer name and calling a shell ends up calling ssh in the first place.

Thanks for your comments on this.

Thomas

Re: prompt has changed with an update

Michael Albinus
Thomas Walker Lynch <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,

Hi Thomas,

> Recently my prompt has changed on shells raised with Tramp.  I use
> dirtrack, so this messes up Emacs royally.
>
> For example, given this bit of code
>
>   (defun shell-make (dir buffer-name)
>     (let* (
>            (default-directory dir)
>            (buffer (get-buffer-create buffer-name))
>            )
>       (set-buffer buffer)
>       (shell buffer)
>       ))
>   (defun shell-root   () (interactive) (shell-make "/sudo::/root"
> "shell-root"))
>
> This is the bashrc file for root, which used to set the prompt:
>   export PS1='\n$(/usr/local/bin/Z) \u@\h§\w§\n# '
>
> but the prompt that now shows up after m-x shell-root :
>   /sudo:[hidden email]:/root #$
>
> I don't know where this latter prompt is coming from.
>
> Have I inadvertently messed something up, or is there some new setting
> with Tramp somewhere?   .. I am a bit of a script kitty when it comes
> to Emacs and Tramp ... so please excuse me if this is not a well
> formed question.  I don't get, for example, why setting the buffer
> name and calling a shell ends up calling ssh in the first place.
>
> Thanks for your comments on this.

Thanks for the report. I need more data for analysis, though.

- Which Emacs/Tramp version are you using? The Tramp version info is
  needed only in case you don't use the built-in Tramp.

- Have you upgraded Emacs and/or Tramp recently?

- Since I don't use dirtrack myself, could you please give me a recipe
  for analysis? Please start with "emacs -Q", and describe all steps
  (including activating dirtrack) you apply. What do you see, and what
  do you expect instead?

> Thomas

Best regards, Michael.

Re: prompt has changed with an update

Gnu - Tramp - Dev mailing list

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 9:17 AM Michael Albinus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thomas Walker Lynch <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,

Hi Thomas,

> Recently my prompt has changed on shells raised with Tramp.  I use
> dirtrack, so this messes up Emacs royally.

Thanks for the report. I need more data for analysis, though.

- Which Emacs/Tramp version are you using? The Tramp version info is
  needed only in case you don't use the built-in Tramp.

GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.21, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2020-08-20

- Have you upgraded Emacs and/or Tramp recently?

This is on Fedora 32,  dnf update just today.

- Since I don't use dirtrack myself, could you please give me a recipe
  for analysis? Please start with "emacs -Q",

Yes it has the same behavior with emacs -Q

Here is what the erroneous prompt looks like:
/sudo:[hidden email]:/root/ #$

This is what the prompt should look like:
2020-09-23T15:53:09Z root@localhost§/home/morpheus§

Yes that is a two line  prompt.  Makes for reading transcripts much easer.

and describe all steps
  (including activating dirtrack) you apply. What do you see, and what
  do you expect instead?

Please find attached a reduced dot_emacs_test,  and dot_bashrc_test files that also display the problem.

Attached is a .emacs file that exhibits the problem.  There are sections for tramp and dirtrack configuration.
dirtrack is not important here, the question is about the prompt not being set.

steps:
1.  make dot_bashrc_test the .bashrc for root
2.  make dot_emacs_test the .emacs for user opening emacs
3.  run emacs
4.  m-x  shell-root

After step 4 the prompt will appear erroneously as noted above when emacs -Q was used.  Dirtrack will not be able to find it (and my transcript records will be messed up due to not having the UTC time stamps LOL)

Note, this exact same thing happens when using tramp to open a remote shell.  Here is the erroneous prompt I get on my server when opening a remote shell:

/ssh:thomas_lynch@server:/home/thomas_lynch #$

That is a regular user.  Again the prompt in the bashrc files was ignored, dirtrack is messed up and no timestamps.

This might matter ..  a year or two ago I reported a sudo security bug because scripts may be injected through an inherited prompt.  It is conceivable that the prompt behavior going through sudo has changed.  But this does not apply here because the prompt is set in the .bashrc and thus is set by the process after it is already the other user.  This is not an inherited prompt.  Unless they killed the prompt setting altogether.

Thanks Michael et al.  I look forward to your reply, and apologize in advance if I've done something stupid here.  Though gosh, it did work.  I used it often, prompt was correct from the .bashrc and dirtrack worked etc.

dot_bashrc_test (184 bytes) Download Attachment
dot_emacs_test (2K) Download Attachment

Re: prompt has changed with an update

Thomas Lynch
p.s. yes, the built in tramp.  Unless when I was messing around when first using tramp and somehow have messed something up.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 6:15 PM Thomas Walker Lynch <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 9:17 AM Michael Albinus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thomas Walker Lynch <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,

Hi Thomas,

> [...]

Thanks Michael et al.  I look forward to your reply, and apologize in advance if I've done something stupid here.  Though gosh, it did work.  I used it often, prompt was correct from the .bashrc and dirtrack worked etc.

Re: prompt has changed with an update

Michael Albinus
Thomas Walker Lynch <[hidden email]> writes:

Hi Thomas,

>>> Recently my prompt has changed on shells raised with Tramp.  I use
>>> dirtrack, so this messes up Emacs royally.
>>
>> Thanks for the report. I need more data for analysis, though.
>>
>> - Which Emacs/Tramp version are you using? The Tramp version info is
>> needed only in case you don't use the built-in Tramp.
>
> GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
> 3.24.21, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2020-08-20

Thanks. The other message you've confirmed, that you are using the
builtin Tramp.

> Here is what the erroneous prompt looks like:
>
>     /sudo:[hidden email]:/root/ #$

This is what Tramp sets, indeed. I have been irritated by saying
"Recently my prompt has changed ...". This prompt is what Tramp does for
years. I've just checked, also in Emacs 26.3 this happens. I don't know
why this happens to you "recently" only.

> This is what the prompt should look like:
>
>     2020-09-23T15:53:09Z root@localhost§/home/morpheus§
>     #

Well, the Tramp manual tells you about. See (info "(tramp) Remote shell setup")

Interactive shell prompt

     TRAMP redefines the remote shell prompt internally for robust
     parsing.  This redefinition affects the looks of a prompt in an
     interactive remote shell through commands, such as ‘M-x shell
     <RET>’.  Such prompts, however, can be reset to something more
     readable and recognizable using these environment variables.

     TRAMP sets the ‘INSIDE_EMACS’ environment variable in the startup
     script file ‘~/.emacs_SHELLNAME’.

     ‘SHELLNAME’ is ‘bash’ or equivalent shell names.  Change it by
     setting the environment variable ‘ESHELL’ in the ‘.emacs’ as
     follows:

          (setenv "ESHELL" "bash")

     Then re-set the prompt string in ‘~/.emacs_SHELLNAME’ as follows:

          # Reset the prompt for remote TRAMP shells.
          if [ "${INSIDE_EMACS/*tramp*/tramp}" == "tramp" ] ; then
             PS1="[\u@\h \w]$ "
          fi

Honestly, I haven't tested these instructions for years. At least the
sentence "TRAMP sets the ‘INSIDE_EMACS’ ..." is nonsense; this variable
is changed somewhere else. But it sounds like a recipe you might go to
get your prompt. I will be happy for a response, whether it works as
documented for you (otherwise we need to adapt it).

> After step 4 the prompt will appear erroneously as noted above when
> emacs -Q was used.  Dirtrack will not be able to find it (and my
> transcript records will be messed up due to not having the UTC time
> stamps LOL)
>
> Note, this exact same thing happens when using tramp to open a remote
> shell.  Here is the erroneous prompt I get on my server when opening a
> remote shell:
>
>     /ssh:thomas_lynch@server:/home/thomas_lynch #$

This is not erroneously, but the expected prompt from Tramp pov.

> Thanks Michael et al.  I look forward to your reply, and apologize in
> advance if I've done something stupid here.  Though gosh, it did work.
>  I used it often, prompt was correct from the .bashrc and dirtrack
> worked etc.

This is what makes me wonder. What has changed in your config, that the
prompt you're used to see has disappeared? Maybe there *are* other
differences between Emacs 26.3 and 27.1 in this area, which I don't
remember ...

Anyway, what I have quoted above is the recommended way to fix
it. There's no Tramp guarantee, that your .bashrc settings keep
untouched.

Best regards, Michael.

Re: prompt has changed with an update

Thomas Lynch
Thanks Michael.  Looks like I should have gone to the Tramp manual, but I was confused.  It truly was working before.  It is tied into my dirtrack  and elsewhere so there is no way I could have confused that.  I also modify the prompt when entering projects by adding the project name.  I developed a lot of code using remote access through Tramp.  I also set an inside emacs environment variable in scripts.  RTFM time ... why every time I ask a question ...

Best regards, Michael.

Re: prompt has changed with an update

Michael Albinus
Thomas Walker Lynch <[hidden email]> writes:

Hi Thomas,

> Thanks Michael.  Looks like I should have gone to the Tramp manual,

Don't worry. My experience is, that *nobody* reads the manual.
Sometimes, I have the impression I write it just for myself, in case I
have forgotten something ...

> but I was confused.  It truly was working before.  It is tied into my
> dirtrack  and elsewhere so there is no way I could have confused that.
>  I also modify the prompt when entering projects by adding the project
> name.  I developed a lot of code using remote access through Tramp.  I
> also set an inside emacs environment variable in scripts.  RTFM time .
> .. why every time I ask a question ...

If anything is not clear, just ask. And if it isn't clear in the manual,
tell it. I'm not a native English speaker ...

Best regards, Michael.

Re: prompt has changed with an update

Thomas Lynch
Hello,  so I understand the issue better, and read through the quite reasonable doc.  This is mostly an FYI reply to share what I learned, although any tips would be appreciated of course.

The issue is that the shell has changed, though I am not sure why.  Thus my .bashrc file does not run, and thus the prompt is not set.

When I ssh to a machine, it runs the shell found in /etc/passwd.   When I run a remote shell from Tramp, though it makes use of ssh (it seems),  it runs /bin/sh.   I am not sure if a linux update on the server changed /bin/sh from bash to dash, but I would not be surprised.  Discussion on that has been going on for years.  It seems more likely that something has changed in the way ssh is being invoked.

So, I gather that Tramp wants to pick the shell, and it will not come from /etc/passwd.   Is there a way to configure that?   There was some mention of a /etc/passwd reader function in the docs.  This would be the best solution.   A solution that would work for me is to always use /usr/bin/bash.

I found various things in the doc for coercing Tramp to pick a different shell:

;(add-to-list 'tramp-connection-properties
;             (list (regexp-quote "/[hidden email]:")
;               "remote-shell" "/usr/bin/bash"))
;
;(customize-set-variable 'tramp-encoding-shell "/usr/bin/bash")

(connection-local-set-profile-variables
  'remote-bash
  '((explicit-shell-file-name . "/bin/bash")
    (explicit-bash-args . ("-i"))))

(connection-local-set-profiles
  '(:application tramp :protocol "ssh" :machine "localhost")
  'remote-bash)

(connection-local-set-profiles
  '(:application tramp :protocol "ssh" :machine "reasoningtechnology.com")
  'remote-bash)

The commented out lines did nothing. Perhaps if I play around with it more.  Actually given that is a regular expression, perhaps I should just match '.*',  as I always use bash  anyway.   The other lines convinced Tramp to call /usr/bin/bash on the one account, but the sudo root stuff is still runing /bin/sh.  I will play around with that more also.  Again, the shell specified in /etc/passwd would be best, but /usr/bin/bash would work for me.

Hmm,  I wonder if my .bashrc to .shrc would also get my prompt set...

Now that I understand what is happening, I have found a reasonable work around.   I just run bash at the first prompt, the .bashrc runs and the prompt is set, then life is good.

Thanks again.  Tramp is a wonderful tool.   If the dired stuff works remotely.  It is a blessing for emacs users.

Best regards, Michael.

Re: prompt has changed with an update

Thomas Lynch
> If the direct stuff works remotely

Excuse me,  that is a typo and should read "even the dired stuff works remotely"   I am amazed to be able pull up directory readers on the remote machine and everything works.

Best regards, Michael.

Re: prompt has changed with an update

Michael Albinus
Thomas Walker Lynch <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,

Hi Thomas,

> I found various things in the doc for coercing Tramp to pick a
> different shell:
>
>     ;(add-to-list 'tramp-connection-properties
>     ;             (list (regexp-quote "/ssh:[hidden email]:")
>     ;               "remote-shell" "/usr/bin/bash"))

This is the right direction. If you want to use it for every remote
connection, you might use

(add-to-list 'tramp-connection-properties
             '(nil "remote-shell" "/usr/bin/bash"))

nil matches everything here.

> Thanks again.  Tramp is a wonderful tool.   If the dired stuff works
> remotely.  It is a blessing for emacs users.

Thanks for your kind words, and best regards, Michael.