packaging (was: The MH-E repository)

Janusz S. Bień

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005  Richard Stallman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You are trying to facilitate updates in specific packages
> at the expense of undermining the long-term development of Emacs.
> If people do what you want, it will impede progress.

Please elaborate.

> Please stop interfering with Emacs development.
> Please just stop!

I hope Jérôme will not follow your suggestion. He is making enourmous
although indirect contribution to Emacs development by providing
Debian community with Emacs snapshot package. To be more precise, this
is a script which fully automates the package creation:

        http://people.debian.org/~jerome/build-emacs-snapshot.sh

As you may happen to remember, I used to be a pretester. I stopped
testing Emacs not only because of general lack of time, but also
because integrating CVS Emacs with Debian was too cumbersome. Now
emacs-snapshot is a separate flavour which peacefully coexists with
stable version, so it allows extensive testing without unnecessary
risks. I am again on emacs-devel list and hope, thanks to Jérôme, to
be able to do some testing again.

I don't think Emacs should grow infinitely and spliting it sooner or
later into packages seems to me inevitable. MH-E stuff is an obvious
candidate for a package.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)

Re: packaging (was: The MH-E repository)

Richard Stallman
    > You are trying to facilitate updates in specific packages
    > at the expense of undermining the long-term development of Emacs.
    > If people do what you want, it will impede progress.

    Please elaborate.

I explained that in the first message.  When packages are maintained
in places outside of the Emacs repository, often the changes do not
get installed in the Emacs repository.

We had a problem like this in regard to flyspell which I had to clear
up myself just recently.  I had to spend hours on it.  We know of
similar problem in regard to cperl-mode.  There was a problem of this
kind with Gnus for a long time.

There are probably other such problems that we do not know about.
It is not easy to find out about them without sending mail to a lot
of people, which would be a lot of work.

I am going to look for measures to discourage the practice of
releasing parts of Emacs separately.