nt/INSTALL and -kb

Eli Zaretskii
The instructions in nt/INSTALL say:

  If you are building out of CVS, then some files in this directory
  (.bat files, nmake.defs and makefile.w32-in) may need the line-ends
  fixing first. The easiest way to do this and avoid future conflicts
  is to run the following command in this (emacs/nt) directory:
     cvs update -kb

However, AFAIK the -kb option is sticky: it gets written into the
file's entry in CVS/Entries, and thereafter all future CVS ops for
that file use it.  Doesn't that mean that "cvs ci" will also commit
the new version as a binary file, will all the consequences of that,
like that "cvs diff" will be impossible etc.?  If that's what will
happen, I think we shouldn't advise usink -kb without a proper warning
to people who might later wish to commit files in the nt/ directory to
CVS.

Or am I missing something?

Re: nt/INSTALL and -kb

Andreas Schwab
Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> writes:

> The instructions in nt/INSTALL say:
>
>   If you are building out of CVS, then some files in this directory
>   (.bat files, nmake.defs and makefile.w32-in) may need the line-ends
>   fixing first. The easiest way to do this and avoid future conflicts
>   is to run the following command in this (emacs/nt) directory:
>      cvs update -kb
>
> However, AFAIK the -kb option is sticky: it gets written into the
> file's entry in CVS/Entries, and thereafter all future CVS ops for
> that file use it.

This is true, but this is a local-only setting.  If you want to make it
permanent in the repository you need to use `cvs admin -kb'.  Neither `cvs
update' nor `cvs checkout' changes the repository.

> Doesn't that mean that "cvs ci" will also commit the new version as a
> binary file, will all the consequences of that, like that "cvs diff"
> will be impossible etc.?

No.  Only changing the setting in the repository as above will have an
effect like this.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, [hidden email]
Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5