non-functioning abbrev mode

ken-93
It must be twenty years now that I've been using abbrev mode, never with
a problem.  But a few days ago it ceased working.  For instance, one
common abbrev "wtih" is automatically replaced by "with".  This has
always worked fine.  But now, although it says "Abbrev" on the status
line, nothing happens when I type "wtih".

Perhaps a related problem, the "abbrev-save" function appears to no
longer exist.

Re: non-functioning abbrev mode

Eli Zaretskii
> From: ken <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 14:20:04 -0500
>
> It must be twenty years now that I've been using abbrev mode, never with
> a problem.  But a few days ago it ceased working.  For instance, one
> common abbrev "wtih" is automatically replaced by "with".  This has
> always worked fine.  But now, although it says "Abbrev" on the status
> line, nothing happens when I type "wtih".

Crystal ball says your abbrev_defs file disappeared or got corrupted.

> Perhaps a related problem, the "abbrev-save" function appears to no
> longer exist.

There was never such a function in Emacs, AFAICT.  Maybe it's
something you defined in your init files?  There's a _variable_ named
save-abbrevs, though.