nnir problem with mailboxes with umlauts (oh sorry, the last mail was HTML)

nnir problem with mailboxes with umlauts (oh sorry, the last mail was HTML)

postmaster
It seems that nnir has problems with mailboxes which have umlauts in
there names.

For my search tests I created these two mailboxes on my dovecot IMAP-server:
"dick" and "dünn".
When I tried to search a string in these boxes (with G G) I got this
"result" for the mailbox "dünn":
gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn’t request group nnir:nnir-riek1dwxvv5.fsf: Search produced empty results.
(The same search in the mailbox "dick" works fine.)

I switched on the debug-on-entry for the function nnir-run-imap and got
this result (at the mailbox "dünn"):

Debugger entered--entering a function:
* nnir-run-imap(((query . "dick")) "nnimap:buckthorn's IMAP server" ("d\303\274nn"))
#f(compiled-function (x) #<bytecode 0x1aaf37d>)(("nnimap:buckthorn's IMAP server" ("d\303\274nn")))
mapcar(#f(compiled-function (x) #<bytecode 0x1aaf37d>) (("nnimap:buckthorn's IMAP server" ("d\303\274nn"))))
nnir-run-query(((nnir-query-spec (query . "dick")) (nnir-group-spec ("nnimap:buckthorn's IMAP server" ("d\303\274nn")))))
nnir-request-group("nnir-rieftokxud4.fsf" "nnir-ephemeral" t ("nnir:nnir-rieftokxud4.fsf" 3 nil nil (nnir "nnir-ephemeral" (nnir-address "nnir")) ((quit-config #<killed buffer> . group) (nnir-specs (nnir-query-spec (query . "dick")) (nnir-group-spec ("nnimap:buckthorn's IMAP server" ("d\303\274nn")))) (nnir-artlist))))
gnus-request-group("nnir:nnir-rieftokxud4.fsf" t nil ("nnir:nnir-rieftokxud4.fsf" 3 nil nil (nnir "nnir-ephemeral" (nnir-address "nnir")) ((quit-config #<killed buffer> . group) (nnir-specs (nnir-query-spec (query . "dick")) (nnir-group-spec ("nnimap:buckthorn's IMAP server" ("d\303\274nn")))) (nnir-artlist))))
gnus-select-newsgroup("nnir:nnir-rieftokxud4.fsf" t nil)
gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnir:nnir-rieftokxud4.fsf" t t nil nil nil)
gnus-summary-read-group("nnir:nnir-rieftokxud4.fsf" t t nil nil nil nil)
gnus-group-read-group(t t "nnir:nnir-rieftokxud4.fsf" nil)
gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group("nnir-rieftokxud4.fsf" (nnir "nnir") nil nil nil nil ((nnir-specs (nnir-query-spec (query . "dick")) (nnir-group-spec ("nnimap:buckthorn's IMAP server" ("d\303\274nn")))) (nnir-artlist)))
gnus-group-make-nnir-group(nil)
funcall-interactively(gnus-group-make-nnir-group nil)
call-interactively(gnus-group-make-nnir-group nil nil)
command-execute(gnus-group-make-nnir-group)

For me it seems that this is a problem in nnir because doveadm has no
problems with these searches:
doveadm search mailbox dick text "dick"
18b74815af68fb5c540900001b5d164c 1
doveadm search mailbox dünn text "dick"
18b74815af68fb5c540900001b5d164c 1

Am I right that this is a bug?

Re: nnir problem with mailboxes with umlauts (oh sorry, the last mail was HTML)

Robert Pluim

    postmaster> It seems that nnir has problems with mailboxes which have umlauts in
    postmaster> there names.

    postmaster> Am I right that this is a bug?

Yes. You should do 'M-x report-emacs-bug' which will gather
information about your emacs, and create a bug report containing this
info.

Robert

PS There have been some changes in the latest master branch of Emacs
to better handle non-ascii group names, that might function better
(but you didnʼt tell us which version of emacs youʼre using :-) )

Re: nnir problem with mailboxes with umlauts (oh sorry, the last mail was HTML)

Eric Abrahamsen-2
Robert Pluim <[hidden email]> writes:

>     postmaster> It seems that nnir has problems with mailboxes which have umlauts in
>     postmaster> there names.
>
>     postmaster> Am I right that this is a bug?
>
> Yes. You should do 'M-x report-emacs-bug' which will gather
> information about your emacs, and create a bug report containing this
> info.
>
> Robert
>
> PS There have been some changes in the latest master branch of Emacs
> to better handle non-ascii group names, that might function better
> (but you didnʼt tell us which version of emacs youʼre using :-) )

Right, this sounds like the stuff I've been working on/breaking. Do tell
us your Emacs version, and in the meantime I'll check the relevant areas
of the code.

Eric Abrahamsen <[hidden email]> writes:

>>     postmaster> It seems that nnir has problems with mailboxes which have umlauts in
>>     postmaster> there names.
>>
>>     postmaster> Am I right that this is a bug?
>>
>> Yes. You should do 'M-x report-emacs-bug' which will gather
>> information about your emacs, and create a bug report containing this
>> info.
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> PS There have been some changes in the latest master branch of Emacs
>> to better handle non-ascii group names, that might function better
>> (but you didnʼt tell us which version of emacs youʼre using :-) )
>
> Right, this sounds like the stuff I've been working on/breaking. Do tell
> us your Emacs version, and in the meantime I'll check the relevant areas
> of the code.

I tested this with Emacs 26.1, and it looks like the same bug is present
there -- I'm surprised no one's run into it before. I'll look into a
fix, either as part of scratch/gnus-decoded or (probably better) its
own patch.

Re: nnir problem with mailboxes with umlauts (oh sorry, the last mail was HTML)

Eric Abrahamsen-2
Eric Abrahamsen <[hidden email]> writes:

>>     postmaster> It seems that nnir has problems with mailboxes which have umlauts in
>>     postmaster> there names.
>>
>>     postmaster> Am I right that this is a bug?
>>
>> Yes. You should do 'M-x report-emacs-bug' which will gather
>> information about your emacs, and create a bug report containing this
>> info.
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> PS There have been some changes in the latest master branch of Emacs
>> to better handle non-ascii group names, that might function better
>> (but you didnʼt tell us which version of emacs youʼre using :-) )
>
> Right, this sounds like the stuff I've been working on/breaking. Do tell
> us your Emacs version, and in the meantime I'll check the relevant areas
> of the code.
Looks like the attached diff is all we need. Please give this a whirl,
and I'll open a bug report for it. I think there's just better than a
snowball's chance in hell we could squeeze this into the next Emacs 26
bugfix release.

nnir-imap-fix.diff (491 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: nnir problem with mailboxes with umlauts (oh sorry, the last mail was HTML)

Eric Abrahamsen-2
Eric Abrahamsen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[hidden email]> writes:

>>>     postmaster> It seems that nnir has problems with mailboxes which have umlauts in
>>>     postmaster> there names.
>>>
>>>     postmaster> Am I right that this is a bug?
>>>
>>> Yes. You should do 'M-x report-emacs-bug' which will gather
>>> information about your emacs, and create a bug report containing this
>>> info.
>>>
>>> Robert
>>>
>>> PS There have been some changes in the latest master branch of Emacs
>>> to better handle non-ascii group names, that might function better
>>> (but you didnʼt tell us which version of emacs youʼre using :-) )
>>
>> Right, this sounds like the stuff I've been working on/breaking. Do tell
>> us your Emacs version, and in the meantime I'll check the relevant areas
>> of the code.
>
> Looks like the attached diff is all we need. Please give this a whirl,
> and I'll open a bug report for it. I think there's just better than a
> snowball's chance in hell we could squeeze this into the next Emacs 26
> bugfix release.
Whoops, I meant this one. I wonder why that worked...

nnir-imap-fix.diff (3K) Download Attachment

I use the last stable version of emacs (26.2) and added the one line of the patch into the line 973 of nnir.el (byte-compiled the file) but this doesn't work for me. Don't know what I made wrong.-(

Re: nnir problem with mailboxes with umlauts (oh sorry, the last mail was HTML)

postmaster

> I tested this with Emacs 26.1, and it looks like the same bug is present
> there -- I'm surprised no one's run into it before. I'll look into a
> fix, either as part of scratch/gnus-decoded or (probably better) its
> own patch.

I patched the nnir.el of emcas 26.2 with the last diff found in the mailing-list and 'diff -w nnir.el.orig nnir.el' shows not a big change:
970c970
<           #'(lambda (group)
---
>           (lambda (group)
972a973,974
>  (progn
>    (setq group (nnimap-decode-gnus-group group))
995c997
<                     (message "Searching %s...done" group))
---
>      (message "Searching %s...done" group)))

And the patch doesn't work.-(
I still get the error:
gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn’t request group nnir:nnir-riev9xaq51j.fsf: Search produced empty results.

[hidden email] writes:

>> I tested this with Emacs 26.1, and it looks like the same bug is present
>> there -- I'm surprised no one's run into it before. I'll look into a
>> fix, either as part of scratch/gnus-decoded or (probably better) its
>> own patch.
>
> I patched the nnir.el of emcas 26.2 with the last diff found in the
> mailing-list and 'diff -w nnir.el.orig nnir.el' shows not a big
> change:
> 970c970
> <           #'(lambda (group)
> ---
>>           (lambda (group)
> 972a973,974
>>  (progn
>>    (setq group (nnimap-decode-gnus-group group))
> 995c997
> <                     (message "Searching %s...done" group))
> ---
>>      (message "Searching %s...done" group)))
>
> And the patch doesn't work.-(
> I still get the error:
> gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn’t request group
> nnir:nnir-riev9xaq51j.fsf: Search produced empty results.

Oh that's interesting, it worked for me after applying that patch. In
the message above ("Searching %s...") is the group name correctly
displayed? If you're familiar with edebug, can you step through
`nnir-run-imap' and see if anything looks funny?