mpd host socket not supported

Mark Oteiza

Hi,

EMMS appears to not support MPD_HOST being the absolute path of a
socket.  Doing emms-player-mpd-connect gives

  /run/user/1000/mpd/socket/6600 Name or service not known

mpc.el in Emacs >=25 has code for handling this.  I believe all the bits
can be found by searching for file-name-absolute-p

Re: mpd host socket not supported

Yoni Rabkin-2

Thanks for the bug report.

Mark Oteiza <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> EMMS appears to not support MPD_HOST being the absolute path of a
> socket.  Doing emms-player-mpd-connect gives
>
>   /run/user/1000/mpd/socket/6600 Name or service not known
>
> mpc.el in Emacs >=25 has code for handling this.  I believe all the bits
> can be found by searching for file-name-absolute-p

I'll look into this for the upcoming release (unless some beats me to it
with a patch of course!)

Re: mpd host socket not supported

Yoni Rabkin-2
Mark Oteiza <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> EMMS appears to not support MPD_HOST being the absolute path of a
> socket.  Doing emms-player-mpd-connect gives
>
>   /run/user/1000/mpd/socket/6600 Name or service not known

I understand that this requires mpd to listen on a unix socket and not
at a particular network address (I don't use mpd)

Can you please send me the relevant bits of your mpd config so that I
can easily recreate this set up here? I'd like to spend my time hacking
Emms, not trying to understand mpd.

On 08/10/17 at 11:34am, Yoni Rabkin wrote:

> Mark Oteiza <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > EMMS appears to not support MPD_HOST being the absolute path of a
> > socket.  Doing emms-player-mpd-connect gives
> >
> >   /run/user/1000/mpd/socket/6600 Name or service not known
>
> I understand that this requires mpd to listen on a unix socket and not
> at a particular network address (I don't use mpd)
>
> Can you please send me the relevant bits of your mpd config so that I
> can easily recreate this set up here? I'd like to spend my time hacking
> Emms, not trying to understand mpd.

No problem. The only config needed for this is

bind_to_address "/path/to/mpd/socket"

then invoking `mpd` should create the specified socket and run.