mpd host socket not supported

Mark Oteiza

Hi,

EMMS appears to not support MPD_HOST being the absolute path of a
socket.  Doing emms-player-mpd-connect gives

  /run/user/1000/mpd/socket/6600 Name or service not known

mpc.el in Emacs >=25 has code for handling this.  I believe all the bits
can be found by searching for file-name-absolute-p

Re: mpd host socket not supported

Yoni Rabkin-2

Thanks for the bug report.

Mark Oteiza <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> EMMS appears to not support MPD_HOST being the absolute path of a
> socket.  Doing emms-player-mpd-connect gives
>
>   /run/user/1000/mpd/socket/6600 Name or service not known
>
> mpc.el in Emacs >=25 has code for handling this.  I believe all the bits
> can be found by searching for file-name-absolute-p

I'll look into this for the upcoming release (unless some beats me to it
with a patch of course!)

Re: mpd host socket not supported

Yoni Rabkin-2
Mark Oteiza <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> EMMS appears to not support MPD_HOST being the absolute path of a
> socket.  Doing emms-player-mpd-connect gives
>
>   /run/user/1000/mpd/socket/6600 Name or service not known

I understand that this requires mpd to listen on a unix socket and not
at a particular network address (I don't use mpd)

Can you please send me the relevant bits of your mpd config so that I
can easily recreate this set up here? I'd like to spend my time hacking
Emms, not trying to understand mpd.

On 08/10/17 at 11:34am, Yoni Rabkin wrote:

> Mark Oteiza <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > EMMS appears to not support MPD_HOST being the absolute path of a
> > socket.  Doing emms-player-mpd-connect gives
> >
> >   /run/user/1000/mpd/socket/6600 Name or service not known
>
> I understand that this requires mpd to listen on a unix socket and not
> at a particular network address (I don't use mpd)
>
> Can you please send me the relevant bits of your mpd config so that I
> can easily recreate this set up here? I'd like to spend my time hacking
> Emms, not trying to understand mpd.

No problem. The only config needed for this is

bind_to_address "/path/to/mpd/socket"

then invoking `mpd` should create the specified socket and run.

Re: mpd host socket not supported

Yoni Rabkin-2
Mark Oteiza <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 08/10/17 at 11:34am, Yoni Rabkin wrote:
>> Mark Oteiza <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > EMMS appears to not support MPD_HOST being the absolute path of a
>> > socket.  Doing emms-player-mpd-connect gives
>> >
>> >   /run/user/1000/mpd/socket/6600 Name or service not known
>>
>> I understand that this requires mpd to listen on a unix socket and not
>> at a particular network address (I don't use mpd)
>>
>> Can you please send me the relevant bits of your mpd config so that I
>> can easily recreate this set up here? I'd like to spend my time hacking
>> Emms, not trying to understand mpd.
>
> No problem. The only config needed for this is
>
> bind_to_address "/path/to/mpd/socket"
>
> then invoking `mpd` should create the specified socket and run.

Sorry for taking so long to get around to this. I've pushed an
experimental patch to the git repo for you to test (works here).

Please set `emms-player-mpd-server-name' to the socket (for me it was
simply "/run/mpd/socket"), and then set `emms-player-mpd-server-port' to
nil (this is how the code knows it's a socket and not a network
connection.)