inferior-lisp-program not found ?

Jean-Christophe Helary
For some reason emacs (head) can't find clisp or mit-scheme when I do run-lisp or run-scheme...

The same happens when I run shell in emacs and call the apps from there...

That worked before the current build (I don't think it is a code issue though), what in my environment could cause the shell in emacs to not get the PATH contents?

Jean-Christophe

Re: inferior-lisp-program not found ?

John Mastro
Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For some reason emacs (head) can't find clisp or mit-scheme when I do
> run-lisp or run-scheme...
>
> The same happens when I run shell in emacs and call the apps from
> there...
>
> That worked before the current build (I don't think it is a code issue
> though), what in my environment could cause the shell in emacs to not
> get the PATH contents?

You didn't mention what operating system you're using but, if you're on
a Mac, you may need exec-path-from-shell[1]. However, I'm not aware of
anything that would have caused the behavior to change from one build to
the next.

        John

[1]: https://github.com/purcell/exec-path-from-shell

Re: inferior-lisp-program not found ?

Jean-Christophe Helary
Thank you John. I never installed that as far as I can tell.

I'll try to reconfigure and rebuild and see how it goes. Weird.

Jean-Christophe

> On Jul 15, 2017, at 2:34, John Mastro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> For some reason emacs (head) can't find clisp or mit-scheme when I do
>> run-lisp or run-scheme...
>>
>> The same happens when I run shell in emacs and call the apps from
>> there...
>>
>> That worked before the current build (I don't think it is a code issue
>> though), what in my environment could cause the shell in emacs to not
>> get the PATH contents?
>
> You didn't mention what operating system you're using but, if you're on
> a Mac, you may need exec-path-from-shell[1]. However, I'm not aware of
> anything that would have caused the behavior to change from one build to
> the next.
>
>        John
>
> [1]: https://github.com/purcell/exec-path-from-shell

Re: inferior-lisp-program not found ?

John Mastro
Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you John. I never installed that as far as I can tell.
>
> I'll try to reconfigure and rebuild and see how it goes. Weird.

Have you perhaps switched from launching Emacs from the shell to
launching it from the GUI (e.g. the dock)?

If you launch Emacs from the shell, it will inherit the shell's
environment variables as you would expect, even on MacOS. It's only when
launching from the MacOS GUI that you need some other mechanism, like
exec-path-from-shell, to import them.

        John

Re: inferior-lisp-program not found ?

Jean-Christophe Helary
It looks like that's the problem.

I used to run it by calling:
~/Documents/Code/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

and then I called it from Spotlight...

Ok, I'll revert to calling it from an applescript in Spotlight...

Thank you very much !!!

Jean-Christophe