gnuserv no longer included in OS X High Sierra, how to replace?

gnuserv no longer included in OS X High Sierra, how to replace?

John Owens
Advice on how to get gnuserv functionality now that the gnuserv binary is no
longer shipped with OS X High Sierra? My elisp follows. Quick scan of MacPorts
and Homebrew didn't reveal an obvious package to install that provides it.

JDO

(if window-system-not-nil
    (progn
      (autoload 'gnuserv-start "gnuserv-compat"
        "Allow this Emacs process to be a server for client processes." t)
      (gnuserv-start)
      (server-start)
      )
  )

error with gnuserv-start:
"Searching for program: No such file or directory, gnuserv"

Re: gnuserv no longer included in OS X High Sierra, how to replace?

Alan Third
On Sun, Oct 08, 2017 at 07:54:46AM -0700, John Owens wrote:

> Advice on how to get gnuserv functionality now that the gnuserv binary is no
> longer shipped with OS X High Sierra? My elisp follows. Quick scan of MacPorts
> and Homebrew didn't reveal an obvious package to install that provides it.
>
> JDO
>
> (if window-system-not-nil
>     (progn
>       (autoload 'gnuserv-start "gnuserv-compat"
>         "Allow this Emacs process to be a server for client processes." t)
>       (gnuserv-start)
>       (server-start)
>       )
>   )
>
> error with gnuserv-start:
> "Searching for program: No such file or directory, gnuserv"

I think you should be able to replace that with just (server-start),
and use emacsclient, which on my system is available at:

/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient

The exact place may vary depending on where it’s installed and how you
did it.
Alan Third

Re: gnuserv no longer included in OS X High Sierra, how to replace?

> Advice on how to get gnuserv functionality now that the gnuserv binary is no

AFAIK `gnuserv` has been superseded by `emacsclient` (distributed with
Emacs) many years ago (must have been Emacs-22 if not earlier).

        Stefan