[gnu.emacs.help] Portable way for creating FIFOs

[gnu.emacs.help] Portable way for creating FIFOs

Petteri Hintsanen-2
Looks like my original message below, posted to gnu.emacs.help, did not
go through into the mailing list...  Apologies for possible
double-posting.

Regards,
Petteri

Hello,

Is it possible to portably create named pipes in Emacs Lisp?  "Portably"
means here "to create in a system that has named pipes".  I could use
call-process or something like that with 'mkfifo', but that seems quite
POSIXy thing to do.

(Context: I'm trying to write an EMMS player for mpv, and there FIFO
would be the preferable way to do IPC.  But mpv does not create a pipe,
it only opens one.)

Thanks,
Petteri

Re: [gnu.emacs.help] Portable way for creating FIFOs

Alex Kost
Petteri Hintsanen (2017-09-19 23:24 +0300) wrote:

> (Context: I'm trying to write an EMMS player for mpv, and there FIFO
> would be the preferable way to do IPC.  But mpv does not create a pipe,
> it only opens one.)

EMMS player for mpv already exists, even 2 players!:

  https://github.com/dochang/emms-player-mpv
  https://github.com/momomo5717/emms-player-simple-mpv

Note: 'emms-player-simple-mpv' is much more powerful; it allows you to
send commands to mpv on the fly through a socket file (via JSON IPC
protocol).

Alex

Re: [gnu.emacs.help] Portable way for creating FIFOs

Bob Proulx
Petteri Hintsanen wrote:
> Looks like my original message below, posted to gnu.emacs.help, did not
> go through into the mailing list...  Apologies for possible
> double-posting.

Thank you for noting this.  I am one of the mailing list helpers and I
looked into this a little bit.  The message did make it through from
the newsgroup, through the news2mail gateway, into and through the
mailing list.  It appeared in my subscribed mailbox.  Alexis replied
to it.  Here is the reply showing that it wasn't just to me.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2017-09/msg00151.html

But it seems that it failed to make it into the mailing list archive.
Why that failed I do not know.  Subsequent messages did make it into
the archive okay.  The disk is not full.  The archive is downstream of
the mailing list but all internal on the same host system.  The
antispam is upstream and not related.  I grep'd through the various
logs but did not find anything hinting at the failure.

Therefore I can only confirm that there was some error in the
processing of the message.  But I cannot deduce what problem that
might be.

Bob

Re: [gnu.emacs.help] Portable way for creating FIFOs

Petteri Hintsanen-2
Alex Kost <[hidden email]> wreites:

> EMMS player for mpv already exists, even 2 players!:
>
>   https://github.com/dochang/emms-player-mpv
>   https://github.com/momomo5717/emms-player-simple-mpv

Oh, stupid me...  These look very promising.

Thanks,
Petteri