feed-builder.el: An RSS (and Atom?) generator

feed-builder.el: An RSS (and Atom?) generator

Pierre Neidhardt
Hi!

I've recently revamped my website in pure Org/Elisp (using ox-publish):

        https://ambrevar.xyz

Source is here:

        https://gitlab.com/ambrevar/ambrevar.gitlab.io

The main difficulty was to generate the webfeed file.  I could not find
any Elisp library to do that.

There is ox-rss in Org-contrib but it works over a single Org file only.
It is possible to create a meta-Org file with #+includes, but that's
inconvenient and limited (the #+TITLE tags get concatenated to start
with).

So I went ahead and implemented a webfeed generator from scratch.  (It's
a first draft.)  It's rather simple actually: it takes a bunch of HTML
files as input, extracts valuable information through user-defined
functions and saves everything into an RSS file.  I'll implement Atom
generation later.

What do you people think?  Would this be useful enough to be considered
for inclusion in Emacs?  Am I missing existing alternatives?

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

Re: feed-builder.el: An RSS (and Atom?) generator

Pierre Neidhardt
Maybe a direct link to feed-builder.el would be nice! :p

        https://gitlab.com/ambrevar/ambrevar.gitlab.io/blob/master/feed-builder.el

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

Re: feed-builder.el: An RSS (and Atom?) generator

Clément Pit-Claudel
On 2018-08-12 08:42, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> Maybe a direct link to feed-builder.el would be nice! :p
>
> https://gitlab.com/ambrevar/ambrevar.gitlab.io/blob/master/feed-builder.el

This looks nice! I think it would make for a fine contribution on ELPA.
I'd recommend separating the part that generates the RSS feed from the part that reads the info from the collection of HTML files; it would be ideal for the generator to be independent of the data source.

Re: feed-builder.el: An RSS (and Atom?) generator

Pierre Neidhardt
> This looks nice!

Thanks!

> I think it would make for a fine contribution on ELPA.

What's the policy for inclusion between Emacs and ELPA?

> I'd recommend separating the part that generates the RSS feed from the part that
> reads the info from the collection of HTML files; it would be ideal for the
> generator to be independent of the data source.

I'll do that when I add support for Atom.

On 2018-08-13 10:48, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> What's the policy for inclusion between Emacs and ELPA?

I think the usual assumption is that most things go to ELPA, except for "core" features.
Installing packages from ELPA is trivial, too, so in practice it makes little difference.

Re: feed-builder.el: An RSS (and Atom?) generator

Pierre Neidhardt-2
At last I've managed to take some time to finish this.
Here is the result: https://gitlab.com/ambrevar/emacs-webfeeder.

I'll sent an ELPA inclusion request just now.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/