emacs-26.1.1 pretest at Xubuntu

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

emacs-26.1.1 pretest at Xubuntu

Andreas Röhler
Hi,

while recent pretest builds fine at Debian, get a strange error at
Ubuntu (Xubuntu)


uname -a:
Linux mymach 4.4.0-120-generic #144-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 5 14:11:49 UTC
2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux


Emacs called from src-directory:

./emacs-26.1.1 -q
Font ‘"Liberation Mono-18"’ is not defined

While ./emacs-26.1.1 -Q starts with a minimal fontset
;;;

In .alias lives something like

alias e26="~/emacs-26.0.91/src/emacs-26.0.91.1 --debug-init --font
'Liberation Mono-18' &"

and in custom-file

  '(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :background "gray9"
:foreground "wheat4" :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil
:overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 181
:width normal :foundry "unknown" :family "Liberation Mono"))))


However that should not effect a fresh build.

Also a different build used Liberation Mono, so it should be available.

Might be worth reporting.

Cheers,

Andreas

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: emacs-26.1.1 pretest at Xubuntu

Robert Pluim
Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> while recent pretest builds fine at Debian, get a strange error at
> Ubuntu (Xubuntu)
>
>
> uname -a:
> Linux mymach 4.4.0-120-generic #144-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 5 14:11:49 UTC
> 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
>
> Emacs called from src-directory:
>
> ./emacs-26.1.1 -q
> Font ‘"Liberation Mono-18"’ is not defined
>
> While ./emacs-26.1.1 -Q starts with a minimal fontset
> ;;;
>

Is it possible you have a site-start.el or site-lisp thatʼs attempting
to use "Liberation Mono-18"? '-Q' bypasses loading those. The value of
'load-path' should tell you where emacs is looking for them.

Robert

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: emacs-26.1.1 pretest at Xubuntu

Andreas Röhler
On 12.04.2018 14:29, Robert Pluim wrote:

> Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> while recent pretest builds fine at Debian, get a strange error at
>> Ubuntu (Xubuntu)
>>
>>
>> uname -a:
>> Linux mymach 4.4.0-120-generic #144-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 5 14:11:49 UTC
>> 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>>
>> Emacs called from src-directory:
>>
>> ./emacs-26.1.1 -q
>> Font ‘"Liberation Mono-18"’ is not defined
>>
>> While ./emacs-26.1.1 -Q starts with a minimal fontset
>> ;;;
>>
>
> Is it possible you have a site-start.el or site-lisp thatʼs attempting
> to use "Liberation Mono-18"? '-Q' bypasses loading those. The value of
> 'load-path' should tell you where emacs is looking for them.
>
> Robert
>


Hmm, same thing with option --no-site-file

tells 'Font ‘"Liberation Mono-18"’ is not defined' and refuses to start

Worth a bug-report?


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: emacs-26.1.1 pretest at Xubuntu

Robert Pluim
Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 12.04.2018 14:29, Robert Pluim wrote:
>> Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> while recent pretest builds fine at Debian, get a strange error at
>>> Ubuntu (Xubuntu)
>>>
>>>
>>> uname -a:
>>> Linux mymach 4.4.0-120-generic #144-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 5 14:11:49 UTC
>>> 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>>
>>>
>>> Emacs called from src-directory:
>>>
>>> ./emacs-26.1.1 -q
>>> Font ‘"Liberation Mono-18"’ is not defined
>>>
>>> While ./emacs-26.1.1 -Q starts with a minimal fontset
>>> ;;;
>>>
>>
>> Is it possible you have a site-start.el or site-lisp thatʼs attempting
>> to use "Liberation Mono-18"? '-Q' bypasses loading those. The value of
>> 'load-path' should tell you where emacs is looking for them.
>>
>> Robert
>>
>
>
> Hmm, same thing with option --no-site-file
>
> tells 'Font ‘"Liberation Mono-18"’ is not defined' and refuses to start

So the only other difference between -Q which works and -q which
doesnʼt is that also -Q disables reading of X resources. Does

xrdb -query|grep -i emacs

give any indications?

> Worth a bug-report?

Iʼm not sure. Something is requesting that emacs use a font which you
donʼt have installed, so emacs refuses to start. Iʼm not convinced
thatʼs a bug in emacs.

Robert

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: emacs-26.1.1 pretest at Xubuntu

Eli Zaretskii
In reply to this post by Andreas Röhler
> From: Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 12:32:15 +0200
> Cc: [hidden email]
>
> Hmm, same thing with option --no-site-file
>
> tells 'Font ‘"Liberation Mono-18"’ is not defined' and refuses to start
>
> Worth a bug-report?

A bug report is unlikely to help here, unless you are able to dig into
the problem and describe its root cause.  There's almost certainly
something specific to your local system setup that triggers this, and
until you identify what that something is, there's no way to have a
constructive discussion about this issue in a bug report.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: emacs-26.1.1 pretest at Xubuntu

Andreas Röhler
In reply to this post by Robert Pluim
On 16.04.2018 14:49, Robert Pluim wrote:

> Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> On 12.04.2018 14:29, Robert Pluim wrote:
>>> Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]> writes:
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> while recent pretest builds fine at Debian, get a strange error at
>>>> Ubuntu (Xubuntu)
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> uname -a:
>>>> Linux mymach 4.4.0-120-generic #144-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 5 14:11:49 UTC
>>>> 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Emacs called from src-directory:
>>>>
>>>> ./emacs-26.1.1 -q
>>>> Font ‘"Liberation Mono-18"’ is not defined
>>>>
>>>> While ./emacs-26.1.1 -Q starts with a minimal fontset
>>>> ;;;
>>>>
>>>
>>> Is it possible you have a site-start.el or site-lisp thatʼs attempting
>>> to use "Liberation Mono-18"? '-Q' bypasses loading those. The value of
>>> 'load-path' should tell you where emacs is looking for them.
>>>
>>> Robert
>>>
>>
>>
>> Hmm, same thing with option --no-site-file
>>
>> tells 'Font ‘"Liberation Mono-18"’ is not defined' and refuses to start
>
> So the only other difference between -Q which works and -q which
> doesnʼt is that also -Q disables reading of X resources. Does
>
> xrdb -query|grep -i emacs
>
> give any indications?
>


Found an entry in .Xresources:

Emacs.font: "Liberation Mono-18"

Will delete this and build again.

Thanks!

Andreas