emacs 25.3_1 64bit install problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

emacs 25.3_1 64bit install problem

E. Caudex
I am trying to move from ver 24 to 25. I have an  emacs.exe file in my
version 24.3 bin directory

03/17/2013  14:52         9,055,614 emacs.exe

(working now for almost two years)

and 2 .exe files in my new version 25.3 bin directory:

09/26/2017  16:04        99,358,230 emacs-25.3.exe
09/26/2017  16:04        99,358,230 emacs.exe

These were extracted using 7-zip without any problem but they seem too
large by a factor of 10.

They are from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/ and from the 25.3_1
zip file. I don't know how to use gpg so I didn't check my download with
the .sig file.

Also the directory structure is different in this new emacs version. Is
this what it should look like?:

bin:

09/26/2017  15:59         2,377,025 addpm.exe
09/26/2017  16:04         2,549,713 ctags.exe
09/26/2017  16:04         1,952,311 ebrowse.exe
09/26/2017  16:04        99,358,230 emacs-25.3.exe
09/26/2017  16:04        99,358,230 emacs.exe
09/26/2017  16:04         2,585,253 emacsclient.exe
09/26/2017  16:04         1,965,621 emacsclientw.exe
09/26/2017  16:04         2,528,894 etags.exe
09/26/2017  16:04            77,744 libXpm-noX4.dll
09/26/2017  15:59         1,760,768 runemacs.exe
               10 File(s)    214,513,789 bytes

  \libexec\emacs\25.3\x86_64-w64-mingw32:

09/26/2017  15:59         1,389,805 cmdproxy.exe
09/26/2017  15:59         1,363,317 ddeclient.exe
09/26/2017  16:04           652,767 hexl.exe
09/26/2017  16:04         3,056,390 movemail.exe
09/26/2017  16:04         1,808,582 profile.exe
09/26/2017  16:04            21,154 rcs2log
09/26/2017  16:04         1,800,363 update-game-score.exe
09/26/2017  16:04               381 update-game-score.exe.manifest
                8 File(s)     10,092,759 bytes

and then share and var subdirectories at the same level with a lot of
deeply buried files.

My question is whether I can expect ver 25.3_1 to work if I just
incorporate all the new stuff into my old emacs directory structure:

01/24/2017  17:57    <DIR>          bin
03/17/2013  14:52               932 BUGS
03/17/2013  14:52            35,147 COPYING
09/04/2015  15:58    <DIR>          etc
08/01/2015  12:25    <DIR>          gnus
02/01/2015  02:01    <DIR>          gnutls
01/07/2017  17:27    <DIR>          info
12/03/2013  20:21    <DIR>          leim
12/03/2013  20:22    <DIR>          lisp
12/03/2013  20:22    <DIR>          Mail
12/03/2013  20:22    <DIR>          nt
12/03/2013  20:22    <DIR>          nxml
10/07/2015  17:22    <DIR>          org
03/17/2013  14:52             5,753 README
03/17/2013  14:52            13,368 README.W32
09/13/2017  11:31    <DIR>          site-lisp

and can all this stuff in ~
01/06/2014  10:23            31,451 .emacs
02/10/2015  03:41               204 .newsrc
02/10/2015  03:41             1,020 .newsrc.eld
02/10/2015  03:15               913 .newsrc.eld~
02/10/2015  03:15               189 .newsrc~
02/10/2015  02:46            63,180 .nnmail-cache
03/14/2011  22:35             2,116 .notes
03/12/2011  21:32             1,164 .notes~
09/28/2012  11:16               692 .recentf
09/28/2012  08:29               692 .recentf~

remain there unchanged?

Thanks for any help.

Ed

p.s. Why are there two identical emacs.exe files in \bin with different
names?









Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: emacs 25.3_1 64bit install problem

Eli Zaretskii
> From: T400 <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2017 11:47:11 -0500
>
> I am trying to move from ver 24 to 25. I have an  emacs.exe file in my
> version 24.3 bin directory
>
> 03/17/2013  14:52         9,055,614 emacs.exe
>
> (working now for almost two years)
>
> and 2 .exe files in my new version 25.3 bin directory:
>
> 09/26/2017  16:04        99,358,230 emacs-25.3.exe
> 09/26/2017  16:04        99,358,230 emacs.exe
>
> These were extracted using 7-zip without any problem but they seem too
> large by a factor of 10.

The larger .exe files are not stripped of the debug info, that's why
they are so large.  Nothing to fear, when the program is loaded into
memory, the debug info is not loaded, it is only read by a debugger.

> Also the directory structure is different in this new emacs version. Is
> this what it should look like?:

Yes.

> and can all this stuff in ~
> 01/06/2014  10:23            31,451 .emacs
> 02/10/2015  03:41               204 .newsrc
> 02/10/2015  03:41             1,020 .newsrc.eld
> 02/10/2015  03:15               913 .newsrc.eld~
> 02/10/2015  03:15               189 .newsrc~
> 02/10/2015  02:46            63,180 .nnmail-cache
> 03/14/2011  22:35             2,116 .notes
> 03/12/2011  21:32             1,164 .notes~
> 09/28/2012  11:16               692 .recentf
> 09/28/2012  08:29               692 .recentf~
>
> remain there unchanged?

Yes, in general.  You might bump into some compatibility problems, but
they should be minor, and can be resolved by using the new/changed
features.

> p.s. Why are there two identical emacs.exe files in \bin with different
> names?

So that, when you install the next version, the emacs.exe gets
overwritten by the newer one, but the emacs-25.3.exe does not, and you
can still invoke the older version by its versioned name, if you need
(e.g., to compare behavior of 2 versions).