disabling doc-view mode

Tim X-2

Does anyone know how to disable/stop doc-view mode from attempting to
convert files when you are in dired and you hit view-file on a ps, pdf,
file? I seem to remember there was a variable you could set to disable
doc-view mode, but I cna't find it and there is nothing in the manual
about disabling it.

I'm running emacs 23 from CVS.

thanks,

Tim

tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

Re: disabling doc-view mode

Tim X-2
Klaus Straubinger <[hidden email]> writes:

> Tim X <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how to disable/stop doc-view mode from attempting to
>> convert files when you are in dired and you hit view-file on a ps, pdf,
>> file?
>
> (rassq-delete-all #'doc-view-mode auto-mode-alist) did help for me,
> at least in Emacs 23.1.  This rather radical solution disables all
> automatic choices of doc-view-mode, i.e., also for normal file opening.

Thanks Klaus. that was all I had come up with as well. Seems it may be
the way to go if no other suggestions come up.

thanks.

Tim

tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

Re: disabling doc-view mode

Tassilo Horn-5
Tim X <[hidden email]> writes:

> Does anyone know how to disable/stop doc-view mode from attempting to
> convert files when you are in dired and you hit view-file on a ps, pdf,
> file?

I'm a bit curious.  Which mode would you expect when trying to view an
ps/pdf/dvi file in emacs?

Bye,
Tassilo

Re: disabling doc-view mode

>>> Does anyone know how to disable/stop doc-view mode from attempting to
>>> convert files when you are in dired and you hit view-file on a ps, pdf,
>>> file?
>> I'm a bit curious.  Which mode would you expect when trying to view an
>> ps/pdf/dvi file in Emacs?

> For PostScript, I would expect ps-mode, of course:
> | (ps-mode)
> | Major mode for editing PostScript with GNU Emacs.

I don't know about you, but that's what I get by default (and I can
then view it with doc-view via C-c C-c).

> Unfortunately, there are no specialized modes for editing PDF and DVI
> files, so I would expect that a default mode for viewing binary files
> is chosen.

You could use find-file-literally for that.  Or of course

  (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.pdf\\'" . fundamental-mode))
  (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.dvi\\'" . fundamental-mode))

-- Stefan

Re: disabling doc-view mode

Tim X-2
Tassilo Horn <[hidden email]> writes:

> Tim X <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Does anyone know how to disable/stop doc-view mode from attempting to
>> convert files when you are in dired and you hit view-file on a ps, pdf,
>> file?
>
> I'm a bit curious.  Which mode would you expect when trying to view an
> ps/pdf/dvi file in emacs?

I have my own conversion mode which I've been running for the past 9
years. The image rendering of files is of no use to me - I need the
files converted into plain text. Unfortunately, the two are treading on
each others toes. I know that I would probably be able to do something
with doc-view mode to give me what I want, but the mode I've written
also handles doc, docx, xls and ppt, plus integrates with browse-url so
that if I try to view-file on any of these types, it gives me a text
rendering that I can use.  It is also a lot faster than doc-view.

I need it in text because I use emacspeak and it won't work with images.

Tim

tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

Re: disabling doc-view mode

martensjd
PS & PDF are text files, so I expect my text editor to open them as text files. I want to see the ASCII.

On Friday, December 4, 2009 8:37:38 AM UTC-5, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Tim X <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Does anyone know how to disable/stop doc-view mode from attempting to
> > convert files when you are in dired and you hit view-file on a ps, pdf,
> > file?
>
> I'm a bit curious.  Which mode would you expect when trying to view an
> ps/pdf/dvi file in emacs?
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Re: disabling doc-view mode

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 20:04:31 -0700 (PDT)
> From: [hidden email]
> Cc: [hidden email]
>
> PS & PDF are text files, so I expect my text editor to open them as text files. I want to see the ASCII.

If they are text files, then how come Notepad or nedit don't show them
as text?

Re: disabling doc-view mode

Peter Dyballa

Am 28.09.2012 um 05:04 schrieb [hidden email]:

> PS & PDF are text files, so I expect my text editor to open them as text files. I want to see the ASCII.

Try something like:

        (delete '("\\.\\(?:PDF\\|DVI\\|pdf\\|dvi\\)\\'" . doc-view-mode)

(Remove types you don't want to be touched by this customisation!)

Anyway, with C-c you can switch back to "ASCII" (and forth) and when you're fast enough (or your computer is slow) you can stop doc-view-mode from doing the conversion.

--
Greetings

  Pete

»¿ʇı̣ əsnqɐ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ ɟı̣
ɓuı̣ɥʇʎuɐ sı̣ pooɓ ʇɐɥʍ«

Re: disabling doc-view mode

> (delete '("\\.\\(?:PDF\\|DVI\\|pdf\\|dvi\\)\\'" . doc-view-mode)

This is pretty brittle.  Rather than try to "remove behavior" it's often
easier to add behavior:

  (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ps\\'" . ps-mode))

You can also use M-x find-file-literally RET.  Or of course use C-c C-c
to switch from doc-view-mode to the "other" mode (ps-mode,
fundamental-mode, ...).

Re: disabling doc-view mode

Peter Dyballa

Am 29.09.2012 um 19:09 schrieb Stefan Monnier:

>> (delete '("\\.\\(?:PDF\\|DVI\\|pdf\\|dvi\\)\\'" . doc-view-mode)
>
> This is pretty brittle.  Rather than try to "remove behavior" it's often
> easier to add behavior:
>
>  (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ps\\'" . ps-mode))

GNU Emacs 24.2.50 already has:

 ("\\.[eE]?[pP][sS]\\'" . ps-mode)
 ("\\.\\(?:PDF\\|DVI\\|OD[FGPST]\\|DOCX?\\|XLSX?\\|PPTX?\\|pdf\\|dvi\\|od[fgpst]\\|docx?\\|xlsx?\\|pptx?\\)\\'" . doc-view-mode-maybe)

GNU Emacs 23.4 already has:

 ("\\.[eE]?[pP][sS]\\'" . ps-mode)
 ("\\.\\(?:PDF\\|DVI\\|pdf\\|dvi\\)\\'" . doc-view-mode)

So it seems to me that Marten has something customised that PS files are opened in doc-view-mode…

--
Greetings

  Pete

Hard Disk, n.:
        A device that allows users to delete vast quantities of data with simple mnemonic commands.

Re: disabling doc-view mode

Kevin Rodgers-2
On 9/29/12 11:09 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> (delete '("\\.\\(?:PDF\\|DVI\\|pdf\\|dvi\\)\\'" . doc-view-mode)
>
> This is pretty brittle.  Rather than try to "remove behavior" it's often
> easier to add behavior:
>
>    (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.ps\\'" . ps-mode))

Or:

(setq auto-mode-alist
       (delq (rassq 'doc-view-mode auto-mode-alist) auto-mode-alist))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA