'diff' for WinEmacs?

Skip Montanaro
> I am going to take a plunge into WinEmacs, see if it behaves any
> better [regarding cursor warpage], and see how well it works with
> Tramp.

Tramp seems to work fine. I can't use things like ediff-revision
though, as there is no 'diff' command. Is there an alternative other
than installing Cygwin (which I'm sure won't fly with management)?
I've pooh-poohed updating to Windows 10 at work, but the WSL stuff
might actually come in handy if I can't get real Linux on my desktop.

Thx,

Skip Montanaro

Re: 'diff' for WinEmacs?

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Skip Montanaro <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 06:09:13 -0500
>
> Tramp seems to work fine. I can't use things like ediff-revision
> though, as there is no 'diff' command. Is there an alternative other
> than installing Cygwin (which I'm sure won't fly with management)?

Which build of Emacs did you install, the 32-bit one or the 64-bit
one?

If the former, you can find Diffutils here:

  http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

If the latter, and you want a 64-bit Diff, you will need to install
the MSYS2 port.  Start here:

  http://www.msys2.org/

Re: 'diff' for WinEmacs?

Anssi Saari
Skip Montanaro <[hidden email]> writes:

>> I am going to take a plunge into WinEmacs, see if it behaves any
>> better [regarding cursor warpage], and see how well it works with
>> Tramp.
>
> Tramp seems to work fine. I can't use things like ediff-revision
> though, as there is no 'diff' command. Is there an alternative other
> than installing Cygwin...

I've used "unxutils" from Sourceforge, it has a bunch of Unix commands
including diff but not recently. Thing is, these are 2003 vintage and
32-bits only. Although I think they should work with 64-bit Emacs and
Windows 10.

Re: 'diff' for WinEmacs?

Skip Montanaro
>> ... no 'diff' command...
>
> Which build of Emacs did you install, the 32-bit one or the 64-bit
> one?
>
> If the former, you can find Diffutils here:
>
>   http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
>
> If the latter, and you want a 64-bit Diff, you will need to install
> the MSYS2 port.  Start here:
>
>   http://www.msys2.org/

The splash page says "x86_64-w64-mingw32", so I imagine it's 64-bit.
Alas, I'm skeptical management will go for installing any more
developer tools, certainly not so a single, cranky software engineer
can try to work around problems with Emacs' interaction between Linux
and Windows.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll call WinEmacs, "nice, but not
sufficient" for now, and push harder to get a Linux desktop.