building the docs

Jean-Christophe Helary-3
For some reason, make docs only produces an elisp.pdf with:

------
Index (p 1225)

(Index is nonexistent)

------

The first error I get is:

[51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56]
Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 504--507

Then comes a long list of "underfull badness"...

emacs.pdf similarly comes with a lack of index, as does emacs-lisp-intro.pdf, and all the manuals that come in /misc...

Do you have hints for debugging this ?

Jean-Christophe Helary
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune

Re: building the docs

Eli Zaretskii
On May 16, 2019 9:15:09 AM GMT+03:00, Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For some reason, make docs only produces an elisp.pdf with:
>
> ------
> Index (p 1225)
>
> (Index is nonexistent)
>
> ------
>
> The first error I get is:
>
> [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56]
> Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 504--507
>
> Then comes a long list of "underfull badness"...
>

> emacs.pdf similarly comes with a lack of index, as does
> emacs-lisp-intro.pdf, and all the manuals that come in /misc...
>
> Do you have hints for debugging this ?
>

> Jean-Christophe Helary
> http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune

Not sure I understand: you get no Index at all, or do you get an empty Index?

Is your TeX and Texinfo installation functional?  Can you produce PDF manuals with indices for some other package?  If not, perhaps something is wrong with texindex or with texi2pdf?

The underfull box thingies are not fatal, just ignore them.

Re: building the docs

Jean-Christophe Helary-3

On May 16, 2019, at 15:52, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 16, 2019 9:15:09 AM GMT+03:00, Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]> wrote:
For some reason, make docs only produces an elisp.pdf with:

------
Index (p 1225)

(Index is nonexistent)

------

Not sure I understand: you get no Index at all, or do you get an empty Index?

I get an index page with (Index is nonexistent) instead of an index.

Is your TeX and Texinfo installation functional?

I'd say yes. But obviously it is no...

 Can you produce PDF manuals with indices for some other package?

I only use texinfo for emacs docs. It looks like all the manuals in /misc have an index page that says (Index is nonexistent).

 If not, perhaps something is wrong with texindex or with texi2pdf?

I removed texinfo and reinstalled it. And that's what I get. Since I use brew on macos to manage texinfo and have never tried to install it by hand, I guess that's a recent update from the package that's causing the glitch since I don't seem to remember having such issues in the relatively recent past...

The underfull box thingies are not fatal, just ignore them.

Thank you.

Jean-Christophe Helary
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune

Re: building the docs

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 15:59:11 +0900
>
>  Not sure I understand: you get no Index at all, or do you get an empty Index?
>
> I get an index page with (Index is nonexistent) instead of an index.

Then I cannot reproduce this with a recent master.  I guess it's
something related to your installation of TeX or Texinfo.  Does
elisp.log say something about the index?

Re: building the docs

Jean-Christophe Helary-3

From: Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 15:59:11 +0900

Not sure I understand: you get no Index at all, or do you get an empty Index?

I get an index page with (Index is nonexistent) instead of an index.

Then I cannot reproduce this with a recent master.  I guess it's
something related to your installation of TeX or Texinfo.  Does
elisp.log say something about the index?

The only thing that looks like an error is:

(/Users/suzume/Documents/Code/emacs/doc/lispref/index.texi (Index) [1224]
No file elisp.fns.
) [1225] )

Also, the html version does include the index, only the ps, dvi and pdf don't.

I just did a new checkout on emacs master, removed/reinstalled texinfo. But I have the same result.
There must be something trivial that I'm missing... :(

Jean-Christophe Helary
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune

Re: building the docs

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 17:56:09 +0900
>
>  Then I cannot reproduce this with a recent master.  I guess it's
>  something related to your installation of TeX or Texinfo.  Does
>  elisp.log say something about the index?
>
> The only thing that looks like an error is:
>
> (/Users/suzume/Documents/Code/emacs/doc/lispref/index.texi (Index) [1224]
> No file elisp.fns.
> ) [1225] )

That's your problem.  You need to find out why this file is not being
produced.

> Also, the html version does include the index, only the ps, dvi and pdf don't.

The HTML version doesn't use TeX, the rest of the formats do.

> I just did a new checkout on emacs master, removed/reinstalled texinfo. But I have the same result.
> There must be something trivial that I'm missing... :(

Looks like some problem with Texinfo you are installing, or with TeX
(a separate package), or maybe with Gawk (nowadays texindex is an Awk
script).

Re: building the docs

조성빈

2019. 5. 16. 오후 3:59, Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]> 작성:

>>  If not, perhaps something is wrong with texindex or with texi2pdf?
>
> I removed texinfo and reinstalled it. And that's what I get. Since I use brew on macos to manage texinfo and have never tried to install it by hand, I guess that's a recent update from the package that's causing the glitch since I don't seem to remember having such issues in the relatively recent past...

IIRC, homebrew’s texinfo is a keg-only formula; If you want the executable in the path you should add /usr/local/opt/texinfo/bin.... and I’m pretty sure I (macOS High Sierra) could get my docs right.

Re: building the docs

Jean-Christophe Helary-3

On May 17, 2019, at 19:01, 조성빈 <[hidden email]> wrote:

2019. 5. 16. 오후 3:59, Jean-Christophe Helary <[hidden email]> 작성:

If not, perhaps something is wrong with texindex or with texi2pdf?

I removed texinfo and reinstalled it. And that's what I get. Since I use brew on macos to manage texinfo and have never tried to install it by hand, I guess that's a recent update from the package that's causing the glitch since I don't seem to remember having such issues in the relatively recent past...

IIRC, homebrew’s texinfo is a keg-only formula; If you want the executable in the path you should add /usr/local/opt/texinfo/bin.... and I’m pretty sure I (macOS High Sierra) could get my docs right.

I seem to recall that it was the same for me until I found out about those errors. Maybe it's an upgrade in the OS that messed things.

On May 17, 2019, at 18:30, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:

The only thing that looks like an error is:

(/Users/suzume/Documents/Code/emacs/doc/lispref/index.texi (Index) [1224]
No file elisp.fns.
) [1225] )

That's your problem.  You need to find out why this file is not being
produced.

Definitely.

Also, the html version does include the index, only the ps, dvi and pdf don't.

The HTML version doesn't use TeX, the rest of the formats do.

That makes sense.

I just did a new checkout on emacs master, removed/reinstalled texinfo. But I have the same result.
There must be something trivial that I'm missing... :(

Looks like some problem with Texinfo you are installing, or with TeX
(a separate package), or maybe with Gawk (nowadays texindex is an Awk
script).

Ok, I'll check all that. But considering that I've recently had errors with the libxml2 headers when building emacs all this is probably strongly related.

Jean-Christophe Helary
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune

Re: building the docs

Jean-Christophe Helary-3
>>> I just did a new checkout on emacs master, removed/reinstalled texinfo. But I have the same result.
>>> There must be something trivial that I'm missing... :(
>>
>> Looks like some problem with Texinfo you are installing, or with TeX
>> (a separate package), or maybe with Gawk (nowadays texindex is an Awk
>> script).
>
> Ok, I'll check all that. But considering that I've recently had errors with the libxml2 headers when building emacs all this is probably strongly related.

I've reinstalled the whole mactex distribution and I still get the same result...

Still investigating...