bug#44037: Synchronising mixal-mode with GNU MDK's latest release

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
jao
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#44037: Synchronising mixal-mode with GNU MDK's latest release

jao
Tags: patch
thanks


Please find attached a patch that updates mixal-mode.el with latest
changes in GNU MDK.  I should have papers in place for emacs.

Do you think it'd be better if i just dropped that file from MDK's
tarball and maintain it by submitting patches here instead?

Thanks a lot!
jao


In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-10-16 built on osgiliath
Repository revision: 6a2f56db4e602372e33f35326a73cffa03586479
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12009000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/emacs --with-x-toolkit=no
 --with-imagemagick'



--
They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can
see nothing but sea. -Francis Bacon, philosopher (1561-1626)

0001-mixal-mode-add-missed-instructions.patch (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#44037: Synchronising mixal-mode with GNU MDK's latest release

Stefan Kangas
jao <[hidden email]> writes:

> Please find attached a patch that updates mixal-mode.el with latest
> changes in GNU MDK.  I should have papers in place for emacs.

Thanks!  The patch looks good to me.

I can only see one previous commit from you (marked
"Copyright-paperwork-exempt") in the git log, so I'll wait for someone
with access to verify the copyright status.  (OTOH, maybe it doesn't
matter since these changes are already assigned to the FSF via GNU MDK?)

> Do you think it'd be better if i just dropped that file from MDK's
> tarball and maintain it by submitting patches here instead?

I guess it depends on if your users can wait for the changes until the
next major Emacs release, or if you feel that it would be beneficial to
get the changes out there earlier than that.  Orthogonally, one could
perhaps consider if this should be distributed as a GNU ELPA package.

In all cases, it would be very helpful if you could submit patches here
when there are any changes.

> Thanks a lot!

Thanks for handling this very promptly!



jao
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#44037: Synchronising mixal-mode with GNU MDK's latest release

jao
Tags: patch
thanks

On Fri, Oct 16 2020, Stefan Kangas wrote:

> jao <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Please find attached a patch that updates mixal-mode.el with latest
>> changes in GNU MDK.  I should have papers in place for emacs.
>
> Thanks!  The patch looks good to me.

Excellent.

>
> I can only see one previous commit from you (marked
> "Copyright-paperwork-exempt") in the git log, so I'll wait for someone
> with access to verify the copyright status.  (OTOH, maybe it doesn't
> matter since these changes are already assigned to the FSF via GNU MDK?)

I do have access to fencepost and to the copyright file (sorry for being
lazy!).  Just checked, and i'm on file for "GUILE" and for
"EMACS EMMS"... i am pretty sure that means EMACS /and/ EMMS, so i think
we're fine :)

>> Do you think it'd be better if i just dropped that file from MDK's
>> tarball and maintain it by submitting patches here instead?
>
> I guess it depends on if your users can wait for the changes until the
> next major Emacs release, or if you feel that it would be beneficial to
> get the changes out there earlier than that.  Orthogonally, one could
> perhaps consider if this should be distributed as a GNU ELPA package.

We release less frequently than Emacs, so i am guessing users (all three
of them!) will be fine either way.  On practical terms, GNU ELPA would
be my less preferred option, since it'd add yet another repo/project to
maintain.

> In all cases, it would be very helpful if you could submit patches here
> when there are any changes.

Yes, that's no problem.  I am not the original author of the mode, so
back in the day I didn't pay attention, but my elisp skills have
improved enough in the intervening 20 years and i'm happy to take care
of it now :)

Cheers,
jao
--
If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for most of your
trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. — Theodore Roosevelt



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#44037: Synchronising mixal-mode with GNU MDK's latest release

Lars Ingebrigtsen
In reply to this post by jao
Stefan Kangas <[hidden email]> writes:

> I can only see one previous commit from you (marked
> "Copyright-paperwork-exempt") in the git log, so I'll wait for someone
> with access to verify the copyright status.

Jose's copyright paperwork is on file.

--
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#44037: Synchronising mixal-mode with GNU MDK's latest release

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 08:17:22 +0200
> Cc: [hidden email], [hidden email], jao <[hidden email]>
>
> Stefan Kangas <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > I can only see one previous commit from you (marked
> > "Copyright-paperwork-exempt") in the git log, so I'll wait for someone
> > with access to verify the copyright status.
>
> Jose's copyright paperwork is on file.

I'm not sure.  I don't understand the semantics of "EMACS EMMS", I
think it might mean the assignment is limited to EMMS.

I will ask the copyright clerk.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#44037: Synchronising mixal-mode with GNU MDK's latest release

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email],  [hidden email],  [hidden email],  [hidden email]
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 10:07:15 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > I'm not sure.  I don't understand the semantics of "EMACS EMMS", I
> > think it might mean the assignment is limited to EMMS.
>
> I assumed that that was a list of things that were assigned, not a
> subset.  For instance, there's entries like
>
> GDB BINUTILS GLIBC
>
> and
>
> GCC GNULIB
>
> and
>
> AUTOCONF AUTOMAKE BINUTILS COREUTILS DejaGNU EMACS FINDUTILS GCC GMP GZIP GDB GLIBC MAKE MPFR TAR TEXINFO

I prefer to be sure we don't misinterpret what that says.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#44037: Synchronising mixal-mode with GNU MDK's latest release

Stefan Kangas
In reply to this post by jao
jao <[hidden email]> writes:

> We release less frequently than Emacs, so i am guessing users (all three
> of them!) will be fine either way.

OK, sounds good to me.

> Yes, that's no problem.  I am not the original author of the mode, so
> back in the day I didn't pay attention, but my elisp skills have
> improved enough in the intervening 20 years and i'm happy to take care
> of it now :)

Thanks!  Should you want to make it more official, feel free to send a
patch to update the "Maintainer" field with your name and email address.

BTW, we are trying to push to convert code to use the new lexical scope.
If you find some time, it would be great if you could test the attached
patch that enables it for mixal-mode.el.  (It would be hard for me to
verify that it works since I don't use GNU MDK myself.)

0001-lisp-progmodes-mixal-mode.el-Use-lexical-binding.patch (992 bytes) Download Attachment
jao
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#44037: Synchronising mixal-mode with GNU MDK's latest release

jao
In reply to this post by Eli Zaretskii

On Sat, Oct 17 2020, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: [hidden email],  [hidden email],  [hidden email],  [hidden email]
>> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 10:07:15 +0200
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > I'm not sure.  I don't understand the semantics of "EMACS EMMS", I
>> > think it might mean the assignment is limited to EMMS.
>>
>> I assumed that that was a list of things that were assigned, not a
>> subset.  For instance, there's entries like
>>
>> GDB BINUTILS GLIBC
>>
>> and
>>
>> GCC GNULIB
>>
>> and
>>
>> AUTOCONF AUTOMAKE BINUTILS COREUTILS DejaGNU EMACS FINDUTILS GCC GMP GZIP GDB GLIBC MAKE MPFR TAR TEXINFO
>
> I prefer to be sure we don't misinterpret what that says.
FWIW, i've checked my archives and i do have separate PDFs with
assignments for EMMS and EMACS.  Happy to send them off-list if you need
to.




Thanks!
jao

attachment0 (84K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#44037: Synchronising mixal-mode with GNU MDK's latest release

Eli Zaretskii
> From: jao <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "Lars Ingebrigtsen" <[hidden email]>,  <[hidden email]>,
>   <[hidden email]>,  <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 16:21:52 +0100
>
> > I prefer to be sure we don't misinterpret what that says.
>
> FWIW, i've checked my archives and i do have separate PDFs with
> assignments for EMMS and EMACS.  Happy to send them off-list if you need
> to.

No, this information is enough for me, thanks.  Your changes can be
installed.




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#44037: Synchronising mixal-mode with GNU MDK's latest release

Stefan Kangas
close 44037 28.1
thanks

Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> writes:

>> FWIW, i've checked my archives and i do have separate PDFs with
>> assignments for EMMS and EMACS.  Happy to send them off-list if you need
>> to.
>
> No, this information is enough for me, thanks.  Your changes can be
> installed.

Pushed to master as commit 9513aa8f48.



jao
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#44037: Synchronising mixal-mode with GNU MDK's latest release

jao
In reply to this post by Stefan Kangas
On Sat, Oct 17 2020, Stefan Kangas wrote:

[...]

>> Yes, that's no problem.  I am not the original author of the mode, so
>> back in the day I didn't pay attention, but my elisp skills have
>> improved enough in the intervening 20 years and i'm happy to take care
>> of it now :)
>
> Thanks!  Should you want to make it more official, feel free to send a
> patch to update the "Maintainer" field with your name and email address.

Sure, patch attached.

> BTW, we are trying to push to convert code to use the new lexical scope.
> If you find some time, it would be great if you could test the attached
> patch that enables it for mixal-mode.el.  (It would be hard for me to
> verify that it works since I don't use GNU MDK myself.)

I've played with it a bit and there's no obvious problem with the switch
(this is just a mode for an assembly-like language without fancy
stuff).  Please feel free to install the patch.

Thanks,
jao
--
"I didn't do it, and I'll never do it again."
 -Derrik Weeks


0001-Set-jao-gnu.org-as-maintainer-of-mixal-mode.el.patch (867 bytes) Download Attachment