bug#43380: 28.0.50; [PATCH] Set mwheel default scroll value to 1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#43380: 28.0.50; [PATCH] Set mwheel default scroll value to 1

Emacs - Bugs mailing list

Hello!

In the spirit of moving towards a more "modern" emacs, I'll address with
a patch the thing that actually confuses me personally the most.  Also,
it seems like an (dare I say it) uncontroversial change: set default
scroll value to 1.  It is mentioned as a small step towards the "smooth"
scrolling.  Is there some other places that needs to be updated?

Have a nice day!
Theodor Thornhill


mwheel-default.patch (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#43380: 28.0.50; [PATCH] Set mwheel default scroll value to 1

Stefan Kangas
Hi Theodor,

Theodor Thornhill <[hidden email]> writes:

> In the spirit of moving towards a more "modern" emacs, I'll address with
> a patch the thing that actually confuses me personally the most.  Also,
> it seems like an (dare I say it) uncontroversial change: set default
> scroll value to 1.  It is mentioned as a small step towards the "smooth"
> scrolling.  Is there some other places that needs to be updated?

Thanks for the patch.

Could you give some additional rationale for this change?  For example,
what does other software do here?  What does other editors do?  In what
way does this help make Emacs behavior less surprising?

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#43380: 28.0.50; [PATCH] Set mwheel default scroll value to 1

Emacs - Bugs mailing list


On September 18, 2020 4:04:18 PM GMT+02:00, Stefan Kangas <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Theodor,
>
>Theodor Thornhill <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> In the spirit of moving towards a more "modern" emacs, I'll address with
>> a patch the thing that actually confuses me personally the most.  Also,
>> it seems like an (dare I say it) uncontroversial change: set default
>> scroll value to 1.  It is mentioned as a small step towards the "smooth"
>> scrolling.  Is there some other places that needs to be updated?
>
>Thanks for the patch.
>
>Could you give some additional rationale for this change?  

Of course! Scrolling by 5 lines scrolls extremely fast when using touchpad, so much so that on my personal laptop in scrolls to the end of even pretty large files by moving my finger less than a centimeter. Also, since there is no tactile feedback on a touchpad, it gets very hard to predict. When swapping these, the ones wanting the five by five still get it by using shift.

> For example, what does other software do here?

Most software scrolls pixel wise, and that is still a ways to go for emacs, if I understand correctly.

> What does other editors do?  

The same as most other software, pixel wise. Comparable editors, like vim, scrolls one by one

>In what way does this help make Emacs behavior less surprising?

This should be as close to pixel wise we can get, and will be a lot more similar in behavior to most other software, be it editors or browser or whatnot.

Hope this clarifies the rationale a little.

Have a nice day!

Theodor Thornhill