bug#42374: 28.0.50; too many tramp messages after computer sleep

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42374: 28.0.50; too many tramp messages after computer sleep

Michael Albinus
Jean Louis <[hidden email]> writes:

Hi,

> I have opened tramp connection, then I put computer to sleep, after few
> hours I open the notebook and then as it is not connected to Internet,
> it starts with these messages. When message appears, I cannot really do
> nothing, so I cannot do M-x, and whatever I press, it starts running
> again something from Tramp and I need to press maybe hundred times C-g
> to abort these messages, basically there is no abort, and Emacs becomes
> not responsive, as whatever I do,, it gives me these messages.

Tramp is a library, and it isn't activated on its own. So let's see why
it is called:

> Tramp: Opening connection for motorola using scp...
> Tramp failed to connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
>     ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’
> Tramp failed to connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
>     ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’
> Tramp failed to connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
>     ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’
> Error running timer ‘desktop-auto-save’: (file-error "Tramp failed to connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
>     ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’")
> Error running timer ‘desktop-auto-save’: (file-error "Tramp failed to connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
>     ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’")

Well, `desktop-auto-save' is in progress, and it calls Tramp functions
again and again. You should suppress this when the remote connection
isn't available.

What are your values of `desktop-buffers-not-to-save',
`desktop-files-not-to-save' and `desktop-modes-not-to-save'?

Best regards, Michael.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42374: 28.0.50; too many tramp messages after computer sleep

Jean Louis
* Michael Albinus <[hidden email]> [2020-07-16 10:34]:

> Jean Louis <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I have opened tramp connection, then I put computer to sleep, after few
> > hours I open the notebook and then as it is not connected to Internet,
> > it starts with these messages. When message appears, I cannot really do
> > nothing, so I cannot do M-x, and whatever I press, it starts running
> > again something from Tramp and I need to press maybe hundred times C-g
> > to abort these messages, basically there is no abort, and Emacs becomes
> > not responsive, as whatever I do,, it gives me these messages.
>
> Tramp is a library, and it isn't activated on its own. So let's see why
> it is called:
>
> > Tramp: Opening connection for motorola using scp...
> > Tramp failed to connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
> >     ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’
> > Tramp failed to connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
> >     ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’
> > Tramp failed to connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
> >     ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’
> > Error running timer ‘desktop-auto-save’: (file-error "Tramp failed to connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
> >     ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’")
> > Error running timer ‘desktop-auto-save’: (file-error "Tramp failed to connect.  If this happens repeatedly, try
> >     ‘M-x tramp-cleanup-this-connection’")
>
> Well, `desktop-auto-save' is in progress, and it calls Tramp functions
> again and again. You should suppress this when the remote connection
> isn't available.
>
> What are your values of `desktop-buffers-not-to-save',
> `desktop-files-not-to-save' and `desktop-modes-not-to-save'?

desktop-buffers-not-to-save
"\\` "
 
desktop-files-not-to-save
"\\(\\`/[^/:]*:\\|(ftp)\\'\\)"

desktop-modes-not-to-save
(mu4e-compose-mode tags-table-mode)


Thank you,
Jean



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42374: 28.0.50; too many tramp messages after computer sleep

Michael Albinus
Jean Louis <[hidden email]> writes:

Hi,

>> Well, `desktop-auto-save' is in progress, and it calls Tramp functions
>> again and again. You should suppress this when the remote connection
>> isn't available.
>>
>> What are your values of `desktop-buffers-not-to-save',
>> `desktop-files-not-to-save' and `desktop-modes-not-to-save'?
>
> desktop-buffers-not-to-save
> "\\` "
>
> desktop-files-not-to-save
> "\\(\\`/[^/:]*:\\|(ftp)\\'\\)"
>
> desktop-modes-not-to-save
> (mu4e-compose-mode tags-table-mode)

Looks normal. Well, could you please set tramp-verbose to 10, and
provoke the problem again? There shall be a Tramp debug buffer, which
includes backtraces. Maybe we see something there.

Don't despair, the debug buffer will be huge. You might send it directly
to me as attachment, w/o Cc.

> Thank you,
> Jean

Best regards, Michael.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42374: 28.0.50; too many tramp messages after computer sleep

Jean Louis
* Michael Albinus <[hidden email]> [2020-07-16 14:15]:

> Jean Louis <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
> >> Well, `desktop-auto-save' is in progress, and it calls Tramp functions
> >> again and again. You should suppress this when the remote connection
> >> isn't available.
> >>
> >> What are your values of `desktop-buffers-not-to-save',
> >> `desktop-files-not-to-save' and `desktop-modes-not-to-save'?
> >
> > desktop-buffers-not-to-save
> > "\\` "
> >
> > desktop-files-not-to-save
> > "\\(\\`/[^/:]*:\\|(ftp)\\'\\)"
> >
> > desktop-modes-not-to-save
> > (mu4e-compose-mode tags-table-mode)
>
> Looks normal. Well, could you please set tramp-verbose to 10, and
> provoke the problem again? There shall be a Tramp debug buffer, which
> includes backtraces. Maybe we see something there.
>
> Don't despair, the debug buffer will be huge. You might send it directly
> to me as attachment, w/o Cc.


I cannot easily reproduce.

How do I turn off desktop-auto-save? Variable is not there to
customize.

Jean



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42374: 28.0.50; too many tramp messages after computer sleep

Michael Albinus
Jean Louis <[hidden email]> writes:

Hi,

> How do I turn off desktop-auto-save? Variable is not there to
> customize.

M-x desktop-save-mode

> Jean

Best regards, Michael.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42374: 28.0.50; too many tramp messages after computer sleep

Jean Louis
* Michael Albinus <[hidden email]> [2020-07-21 18:43]:
> Jean Louis <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
> > How do I turn off desktop-auto-save? Variable is not there to
> > customize.
>
> M-x desktop-save-mode

Thank you, I turned it off, but I cannot replicate easily.

Jean