bug#42108: 28.0.50; treemacs no longer work on native-comp branch

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42108: 28.0.50; treemacs no longer work on native-comp branch

Andrey Orst
Some commits ago, I'm not sure exactly when, Emacs compiled with native
compilation branch no longer able to display Treemacs buffer. When
trying open Treemacs I can see the error message:

    Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

Here's minimal init.el:

    (defvar package-archives)
    (setq package-archives
          '(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
            ("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")))
   
    (package-initialize)
    (package-refresh-contents)
   
    (unless (package-installed-p 'treemacs)
      (package-install 'treemacs))
   
    (treemacs)
   
This will automatically download and install treemacs, and run it,
however the treemacs buffer is empty, and nothing works.

If I switch to current master branch and recompile Emacs, then Treemacs
works as expected, so I assume it is a native-comp branch bug.


In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.13, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-06-28 built on toolbox
Repository revision: 0eedb5af0b9f505dda9418323c74e992a40e5585
Repository branch: feature/native-comp
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.12008000
System Description: Fedora 32 (Workstation Edition)

Recent messages:
Checking /home/andreyorst/.emacs.d/elpa/treemacs-20200625.2056/icons/default/svgrepo...
Checking /home/andreyorst/.emacs.d/elpa/treemacs-20200625.2056/icons/default/vsc...
Done (Total of 28 files compiled, 2 skipped)
Package ‘treemacs’ installed.
Saving file /home/andreyorst/.emacs.d/init.el...
Wrote /home/andreyorst/.emacs.d/init.el
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
Quit
Making completion list... [2 times]

Configured using:
 'configure --with-nativecomp --without-pop
 --prefix=/home/andreyorst/.local/emacs
 --bindir=/home/andreyorst/.local/bin
 '--program-transform-name=s/^ctags$/ctags.emacs/''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2
GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  treemacs-filewatch-mode: t
  treemacs-follow-mode: t
  treemacs-fringe-indicator-mode: t
  treemacs-git-mode: deferred
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail cus-edit cus-start cus-load
wid-edit treemacs treemacs-header-line treemacs-compatibility
treemacs-mode treemacs-bookmarks warnings thunk treemacs-interface
treemacs-extensions treemacs-persistence treemacs-mouse-interface
treemacs-tag-follow-mode treemacs-filewatch-mode treemacs-tags
treemacs-faces imenu xref project filenotify treemacs-follow-mode
treemacs-rendering treemacs-visuals treemacs-fringe-indicator pulse
treemacs-async treemacs-icons treemacs-themes bookmark pp
treemacs-workspaces treemacs-scope treemacs-dom treemacs-core-utils
treemacs-macros treemacs-logging treemacs-customization ace-window f
hl-line pfuture ht s avy rx inline edmacro kmacro org ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs hydra advice lv dash cl-extra help-mode use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
use-package-core info tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode easy-mmode compile
comint ansi-color ring autoload radix-tree lisp-mnt mm-archive message
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils gnutls
network-stream url-http mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny url-cache url-auth url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap finder-inf package easymenu browse-url
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face pcase macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 330086 73278)
 (symbols 48 24681 57)
 (strings 32 106609 5332)
 (string-bytes 1 3050345)
 (vectors 16 38569)
 (vector-slots 8 862927 65016)
 (floats 8 440 527)
 (intervals 56 1333 0)
 (buffers 992 15))


--
Best regards,
Andrey Orst
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42108: 28.0.50; treemacs no longer work on native-comp branch

Andrea Corallo
Andrey Orst <[hidden email]> writes:

> Some commits ago, I'm not sure exactly when, Emacs compiled with
> native
> compilation branch no longer able to display Treemacs buffer. When
> trying open Treemacs I can see the error message:
>
>     Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>
> Here's minimal init.el:
>
>     (defvar package-archives)
>     (setq package-archives
>           '(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
>             ("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")))
>    
>     (package-initialize)
>     (package-refresh-contents)
>    
>     (unless (package-installed-p 'treemacs)
>       (package-install 'treemacs))
>    
>     (treemacs)
>    
> This will automatically download and install treemacs, and run it,
> however the treemacs buffer is empty, and nothing works.
>
> If I switch to current master branch and recompile Emacs, then
> Treemacs
> works as expected, so I assume it is a native-comp branch bug.

Hi Andrey,

I tried your reproducer using the lastest native-comp 0ce4bf3ede and it
works for me.  Possibly this could be solved by one of the other bugs I
fixed this weekend.

Could you have another try to see if you still see the issue?

Thanks!

  Andrea

--
[hidden email]



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42108: 28.0.50; treemacs no longer work on native-comp branch

Andrey Orst
Yes, everything seem to work now

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 11:29 PM Andrea Corallo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrey Orst <[hidden email]> writes:

> Some commits ago, I'm not sure exactly when, Emacs compiled with
> native
> compilation branch no longer able to display Treemacs buffer. When
> trying open Treemacs I can see the error message:
>
>     Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>
> Here's minimal init.el:
>
>     (defvar package-archives)
>     (setq package-archives
>           '(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
>             ("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")))
>    
>     (package-initialize)
>     (package-refresh-contents)
>    
>     (unless (package-installed-p 'treemacs)
>       (package-install 'treemacs))
>    
>     (treemacs)
>    
> This will automatically download and install treemacs, and run it,
> however the treemacs buffer is empty, and nothing works.
>
> If I switch to current master branch and recompile Emacs, then
> Treemacs
> works as expected, so I assume it is a native-comp branch bug.

Hi Andrey,

I tried your reproducer using the lastest native-comp 0ce4bf3ede and it
works for me.  Possibly this could be solved by one of the other bugs I
fixed this weekend.

Could you have another try to see if you still see the issue?

Thanks!

  Andrea

--
[hidden email]


--
Best regards,
Andrey Orst
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42108: 28.0.50; treemacs no longer work on native-comp branch

Andrey Orst
though now yasnippet seem to be broken with such messages:

    File mode specification error: (void-variable --cl-rest--)
    apply: Symbol’s value as variable is void: --cl-rest--

Deleting eln directory with compiled files from yasnippet dir makes it work until I reload Emacs.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:52 AM Andrey Orst <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, everything seem to work now

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 11:29 PM Andrea Corallo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Andrey Orst <[hidden email]> writes:

> Some commits ago, I'm not sure exactly when, Emacs compiled with
> native
> compilation branch no longer able to display Treemacs buffer. When
> trying open Treemacs I can see the error message:
>
>     Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
>
> Here's minimal init.el:
>
>     (defvar package-archives)
>     (setq package-archives
>           '(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
>             ("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")))
>    
>     (package-initialize)
>     (package-refresh-contents)
>    
>     (unless (package-installed-p 'treemacs)
>       (package-install 'treemacs))
>    
>     (treemacs)
>    
> This will automatically download and install treemacs, and run it,
> however the treemacs buffer is empty, and nothing works.
>
> If I switch to current master branch and recompile Emacs, then
> Treemacs
> works as expected, so I assume it is a native-comp branch bug.

Hi Andrey,

I tried your reproducer using the lastest native-comp 0ce4bf3ede and it
works for me.  Possibly this could be solved by one of the other bugs I
fixed this weekend.

Could you have another try to see if you still see the issue?

Thanks!

  Andrea

--
[hidden email]


--
Best regards,
Andrey Orst


--
Best regards,
Andrey Orst
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42108: 28.0.50; treemacs no longer work on native-comp branch

Emacs - Bugs mailing list
In reply to this post by Andrey Orst
Andrey Orst <[hidden email]> writes:

> though now yasnippet seem to be broken with such messages:
>
>     File mode specification error: (void-variable --cl-rest--)
>     apply: Symbol’s value as variable is void: --cl-rest--
>
> Deleting eln directory with compiled files from yasnippet dir makes
> it work until I reload Emacs.

I've got a bunch of similar errors with GNUs today.

I pushed d3ac3534b4 reverting what I think is the offending commit, even
if I still have to look into the detail.

Could you give it a try?

Thanks

  Andrea

PS sdf mail is killed today :/



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42108: 28.0.50; treemacs no longer work on native-comp branch

Andrey Orst
Seems working fine on d3ac3534b4. Been using it yesterday and today, with no visible issues so far

пн, 29 июн. 2020 г., 21:07 Andrea Corallo <[hidden email]>:
Andrey Orst <[hidden email]> writes:

> though now yasnippet seem to be broken with such messages:
>
>     File mode specification error: (void-variable --cl-rest--)
>     apply: Symbol’s value as variable is void: --cl-rest--
>
> Deleting eln directory with compiled files from yasnippet dir makes
> it work until I reload Emacs.

I've got a bunch of similar errors with GNUs today.

I pushed d3ac3534b4 reverting what I think is the offending commit, even
if I still have to look into the detail.

Could you give it a try?

Thanks

  Andrea

PS sdf mail is killed today :/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42108: 28.0.50; treemacs no longer work on native-comp branch

Andrey Orst
Strange, but on the other machine the bug persists. How can I help debugging this?

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 9:37 AM Andrey Orst <[hidden email]> wrote:
Seems working fine on d3ac3534b4. Been using it yesterday and today, with no visible issues so far

пн, 29 июн. 2020 г., 21:07 Andrea Corallo <[hidden email]>:
Andrey Orst <[hidden email]> writes:

> though now yasnippet seem to be broken with such messages:
>
>     File mode specification error: (void-variable --cl-rest--)
>     apply: Symbol’s value as variable is void: --cl-rest--
>
> Deleting eln directory with compiled files from yasnippet dir makes
> it work until I reload Emacs.

I've got a bunch of similar errors with GNUs today.

I pushed d3ac3534b4 reverting what I think is the offending commit, even
if I still have to look into the detail.

Could you give it a try?

Thanks

  Andrea

PS sdf mail is killed today :/


--
Best regards,
Andrey Orst
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42108: 28.0.50; treemacs no longer work on native-comp branch

Emacs - Bugs mailing list
Mmh strange, here seams back stable since yesterday's fix. 

Perhaps you can make sure the all the old eln has been removed
(including the one related to the packages).

The way to debug is to identify the function that is failing, build a reproducer and see
what's going wrong, I know is a bit generic tho :/

If you find a reproducer I'll jump into.

Thanks!

  Andrea




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42108: 28.0.50; treemacs no longer work on native-comp branch

Andrey Orst
I've figured out why this error did not happen to me at my home PC. I'm using desktop-save-mode, and at work it loaded some buffer that enables yasnippet support, thus immediately producing error. At home I mostly work with text files, that I don't enable snippets, so error got unnoticed.

I've set `debug-on-error' to t, and here's the trace:



On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:20 PM Andrea Corallo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mmh strange, here seams back stable since yesterday's fix. 

Perhaps you can make sure the all the old eln has been removed
(including the one related to the packages).

The way to debug is to identify the function that is failing, build a reproducer and see
what's going wrong, I know is a bit generic tho :/

If you find a reproducer I'll jump into.

Thanks!

  Andrea



--
Best regards,
Andrey Orst
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42108: 28.0.50; treemacs no longer work on native-comp branch

Emacs - Bugs mailing list
All right also the --cl-rest-- issue should be fixed now with:

4681f33071 Fix lambda-list relocation class

Lambda lists in cl-defun et similia can be expanded using a
--cl-rest-- symbols that are uninterned too.  As a consequence
lambda-lists must be stored in the same relocation class as
conventional objects so can be read by the reader in the same string.
This to maintain correct correspondence with the symbol used in the
function body.

This dynamic scope enablement already enough shake, hopefully is over.

Please give the latest native-comp a go.

Thanks!

  Andrea



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#42108: 28.0.50; treemacs no longer work on native-comp branch

Andrey Orst
Everything seem to work now! Andrea, thank you very much for your hard work on native-comp

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:44 PM Andrea Corallo <[hidden email]> wrote:
All right also the --cl-rest-- issue should be fixed now with:

4681f33071 Fix lambda-list relocation class

Lambda lists in cl-defun et similia can be expanded using a
--cl-rest-- symbols that are uninterned too.  As a consequence
lambda-lists must be stored in the same relocation class as
conventional objects so can be read by the reader in the same string.
This to maintain correct correspondence with the symbol used in the
function body.

This dynamic scope enablement already enough shake, hopefully is over.

Please give the latest native-comp a go.

Thanks!

  Andrea


--
Best regards,
Andrey Orst