bug#39134: 28.0.50; forward-sexp fails on curved singlequotes

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#39134: 28.0.50; forward-sexp fails on curved singlequotes

Andreas Röhler
Please consider output of "M-x describe-function RET defun RET".

Go in first line to beginning of "‘byte-run.el’". From "Char: ‘ (8216,
#o20030, #x2018,"
"M-x forward-sexp RET". Cursor stops at dot, but should go until Char: ’
(8217, #o20031, #x2019)

Later on in buffer from start of "‘interactive’" it works as expected.
Also on ‘defun-declarations-alist’.

Thanks developing Emacs,
Andreas

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
  of 2020-01-10 built on sprache
Repository revision: 17cfd708575c351d030f8b05c5921d1867028d79
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.
You can run the command ‘describe-function’ with C-h f
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.

Configured using:
  'configure --with-modules --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM
MODULES THREADS PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr misearch multi-isearch emacsbug message rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa
derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-extra seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mode-local find-func thingatpt help-fns
radix-tree help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 144084 8387)
  (symbols 24 28481 1)
  (strings 16 62818 2702)
  (string-bytes 1 973737)
  (vectors 8 10943)
  (vector-slots 4 145597 16200)
  (floats 8 30 32)
  (intervals 28 273 10)
  (buffers 568 13)
  (heap 1024 11552 1297))




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#39134: 28.0.50; forward-sexp fails on curved singlequotes

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 14:35:34 +0100
>
> Please consider output of "M-x describe-function RET defun RET".
>
> Go in first line to beginning of "‘byte-run.el’". From "Char: ‘ (8216,
> #o20030, #x2018,"
> "M-x forward-sexp RET". Cursor stops at dot, but should go until Char: ’
> (8217, #o20031, #x2019)

Why do you think it should go until ’ ?



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#39134: 28.0.50; forward-sexp fails on curved singlequotes

Andreas Röhler

On 14.01.20 16:29, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 14:35:34 +0100
>>
>> Please consider output of "M-x describe-function RET defun RET".
>>
>> Go in first line to beginning of "‘byte-run.el’". From "Char: ‘ (8216,
>> #o20030, #x2018,"
>> "M-x forward-sexp RET". Cursor stops at dot, but should go until Char: ’
>> (8217, #o20031, #x2019)
> Why do you think it should go until ’ ?


Consider it a balanced expression closed by that char.




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#39134: 28.0.50; forward-sexp fails on curved singlequotes

Eli Zaretskii
> Cc: [hidden email]
> From: Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 17:06:54 +0100
>
> >> "M-x forward-sexp RET". Cursor stops at dot, but should go until Char: ’
> >> (8217, #o20031, #x2019)
> > Why do you think it should go until ’ ?
>
>
> Consider it a balanced expression closed by that char.

I'm not sure I understand how that makes sense in a buffer not in Lisp
mode, but maybe I'm missing something.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#39134: 28.0.50; forward-sexp fails on curved singlequotes

Andreas Röhler

On 14.01.20 17:20, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Cc: [hidden email]
>> From: Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 17:06:54 +0100
>>
>>>> "M-x forward-sexp RET". Cursor stops at dot, but should go until Char: ’
>>>> (8217, #o20031, #x2019)
>>> Why do you think it should go until ’ ?
>>
>> Consider it a balanced expression closed by that char.
> I'm not sure I understand how that makes sense in a buffer not in Lisp
> mode, but maybe I'm missing something.


IMO the sense comes from the markup, from the editing point of view.