bug#38314: No /usr/share/applications mailto presence

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#38314: No /usr/share/applications mailto presence

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
All I know is these guys

$ grep -lr mailto /usr/share/applications|xargs dlocate
mutt: /usr/share/applications/mutt.desktop

have a mailto presence in /usr/share/applications here on Debian,
but even in (info "(emacs) Browse-URL")'s mailto discussion,
there is no mention of a workaroud for users who don't want to use mutt.

$ grep -c mailto /usr/share/applications/*ema*
/usr/share/applications/emacs-term.desktop:0
/usr/share/applications/emacs.desktop:0



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#38314: No /usr/share/applications mailto presence

Lars Ingebrigtsen
積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[hidden email]> writes:

> All I know is these guys
>
> $ grep -lr mailto /usr/share/applications|xargs dlocate
> mutt: /usr/share/applications/mutt.desktop

larsi@marnie:~/src/emacs/trunk$ grep -lr mailto /usr/share/applications | xargs dlocate
xargs: dlocate: No such file or directory

> have a mailto presence in /usr/share/applications here on Debian,
> but even in (info "(emacs) Browse-URL")'s mailto discussion,
> there is no mention of a workaroud for users who don't want to use mutt.
>
> $ grep -c mailto /usr/share/applications/*ema*
> /usr/share/applications/emacs-term.desktop:0
> /usr/share/applications/emacs.desktop:0

I'm not sure what you're asking.  What is the problem you're seeing, and
what would you have Emacs do instead?

--
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#38314: No /usr/share/applications mailto presence

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
In reply to this post by 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
>>>>> "LI" == Lars Ingebrigtsen <[hidden email]> writes:

LI> I'm not sure what you're asking.  What is the problem you're seeing, and
LI> what would you have Emacs do instead?

OK, let's take
http://ccs.land.moi.gov.tw/jsp/ExpenseController

On the bottom there are two mailto links.

Let's talk about this one,

<a href="mailto:[hidden email];[hidden email]?subject=地政電子資料流服務網意見信箱"><img src="../images/mail1.gif" alt="意見信箱" border="0">意見信箱</a>

Well, you could say "Just browse it with M-x w3m, and click the link
there. That will launch a message buffer with everything filled in
fine."

That is true. However in w3m this is just

<a href="mailto:[hidden email]?subject=地政電子資料流服務網意見信箱"><img src="../images/mail1.gif" alt="意見信箱" border="0">意見信箱</a>

That is because some javascript perhaps changed it.

Therefore we need to use the chromium browser.

OK, but in chromium, clicking the mailto link won't notify emacs,
because emacs'
/usr/share/applications/* files, although there, don't have a mailto
line in them.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#38314: No /usr/share/applications mailto presence

Lars Ingebrigtsen
積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[hidden email]> writes:

> OK, but in chromium, clicking the mailto link won't notify emacs,
> because emacs'
> /usr/share/applications/* files, although there, don't have a mailto
> line in them.

OK, your complaint is that there's no mailto handler specified in
/usr/share/applications/emacs*.desktop?

Would adding a line like

MimeType=x-scheme-handler/mailto;

to the file do the trick, or is there something else that has to be done?

--
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#38314: No /usr/share/applications mailto presence

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
In reply to this post by 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
>>>>> "LI" == Lars Ingebrigtsen <[hidden email]> writes:
LI> 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[hidden email]> writes:

>> OK, but in chromium, clicking the mailto link won't notify emacs,
>> because emacs'
>> /usr/share/applications/* files, although there, don't have a mailto
>> line in them.

LI> OK, your complaint is that there's no mailto handler specified in
LI> /usr/share/applications/emacs*.desktop?

I guess so.

LI> Would adding a line like

LI> MimeType=x-scheme-handler/mailto;

LI> to the file do the trick, or is there something else that has to be done?

I don't know.
Just make sure it mails those two addresses with the ; in between them,
using gnus, when you click the link in chromium.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#38314: No /usr/share/applications mailto presence

Lars Ingebrigtsen
積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[hidden email]> writes:

> LI> Would adding a line like
>
> LI> MimeType=x-scheme-handler/mailto;
>
> LI> to the file do the trick, or is there something else that has to be done?
>
> I don't know.
> Just make sure it mails those two addresses with the ; in between them,
> using gnus, when you click the link in chromium.

What two addresses?  And why should there be a semicolon between the
addresses?

Anyway, it seems %u is the URL received by the program, but the
documentation of the format seems to be ... scarce.  Anybody know how to
specify (in the .desktop file) how one should start a program when
there's a mailto handler?

--
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#38314: No /usr/share/applications mailto presence

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
In reply to this post by 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
Well let's just start with the simplest example.

Let's say in chromium you are browsing
https://www.myfearlesskitchen.com/refrigerator-freezer-temperature/
and you click on the envelope icon.

This should launch emacs, sending a mail to
[hidden email] .

That's all I know.