bug#32864: 26.1; menus don't work correctly in Mac OS Mojave

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#32864: 26.1; menus don't work correctly in Mac OS Mojave

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez

Emacs 26.1 menus don’t work correctly in macOS 10.14 Mojave (just released this week). More, precisely, to make a menu drop down you have to click twice on the corresponding menu title (except for the Emacs menu!). If you just click once nothing happens, but if you click a second time on a different menu that menu drops down.


In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS appkit-1348.17 Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F2511))
of 2018-05-31 built on builder10-10.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
Recent messages:
Ispell process killed
Starting new Ispell process aspell with castellano dictionary...
Applying style hooks...
Loading /Users/artemio/Documents/Coursework/Mecanica Clasica/MC 18-19/Apuntes/auto/chap2-1.el (source)...done
Sorting amsthm-newtheorem...done
Removing duplicates...done
Applying style hooks...done
Compiling label environment definitions...done
Sorting environment...done
Removing duplicates...done

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US@currency=EUR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  TeX-source-correlate-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tabbar-mwheel-mode: t
  tabbar-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils reftex-parse texmathp preview prv-emacs
reftex-dcr reftex-auc reftex reftex-loaddefs reftex-vars bib-cite
flyspell ispell tex-bar toolbar-x noutline outline tex-buf font-latex
latex latex-flymake flymake-proc flymake warnings thingatpt tex-ispell
tex-style tex crm advice tex-mode compile shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring latexenc elec-pair paren delsel cus-start cus-load
edmacro kmacro tabbar easy-mmode session cl exec-path-from-shell
finder-inf info tex-site package easymenu epg-config url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib server time-date tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 353007 11527)
(symbols 48 30848 1)
(miscs 40 124 405)
(strings 32 64041 1865)
(string-bytes 1 1753106)
(vectors 16 45257)
(vector-slots 8 850451 24934)
(floats 8 199 309)
(intervals 56 1486 189)
(buffers 992 15))


Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
[hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#32864: 26.1; menus don't work correctly in Mac OS Mojave

Alan Third
On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 07:40:31PM +0200, Artemio González López wrote:

>
> Emacs 26.1 menus don’t work correctly in macOS 10.14 Mojave (just
> released this week). More, precisely, to make a menu drop down you
> have to click twice on the corresponding menu title (except for the
> Emacs menu!). If you just click once nothing happens, but if you
> click a second time on a different menu that menu drops down.
>
>
> In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS
> appkit-1348.17 Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F2511)) of 2018-05-31 built
> on builder10-10.porkrind.org

Thanks for the report. I wonder if this is specific to the
emacsformacosx.com builds or if a native 10.14 build would do the same
thing...?

Is there any chance you could build emacs 26 yourself to check? Or if
anyone else with 10.14 can confirm, that would be great.

The NS menus seem to be a bit kludgy, so they’re probably due for a
bit of refactoring anyway.
--
Alan Third



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#32864: 26.1; menus don't work correctly in Mac OS Mojave

Alan Third
On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 09:43:55PM +0200, Artemio González López wrote:

>
> > On Sep 28, 2018, at 9:40 PM, Alan Third <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 07:40:31PM +0200, Artemio González López wrote:
> >>
> >> Emacs 26.1 menus don’t work correctly in macOS 10.14 Mojave (just
> >> released this week). More, precisely, to make a menu drop down you
> >> have to click twice on the corresponding menu title (except for the
> >> Emacs menu!). If you just click once nothing happens, but if you
> >> click a second time on a different menu that menu drops down.
> >>
> >>
> >> In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS
> >> appkit-1348.17 Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F2511)) of 2018-05-31 built
> >> on builder10-10.porkrind.org
> >
> > Thanks for the report. I wonder if this is specific to the
> > emacsformacosx.com builds or if a native 10.14 build would do the same
> > thing...?
> >
> > Is there any chance you could build emacs 26 yourself to check? Or if
> > anyone else with 10.14 can confirm, that would be great.
> >
> > The NS menus seem to be a bit kludgy, so they’re probably due for a
> > bit of refactoring anyway.
>
> Hi, Alan,
>
> I’ll try to build Emacs.app myself. In the meantime, I can confirm
> that 1) I’ve had the problem with at least two builds of Emacs
> (Macport’s and Emacs for Mac OS X), and 2) a colleague of mine at
> work who just installed Mojave has had the same problem with the
> same builds of Emacs.

Thanks. Let know how it goes.

BTW, please leave the bug tracker email address in so your email
doesn’t get lost.
--
Alan Third



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#32864: 26.1; menus don't work correctly in Mac OS Mojave

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez


On Sep 28, 2018, at 9:49 PM, Alan Third <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 09:43:55PM +0200, Artemio González López wrote:

On Sep 28, 2018, at 9:40 PM, Alan Third <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 07:40:31PM +0200, Artemio González López wrote:

Emacs 26.1 menus don’t work correctly in macOS 10.14 Mojave (just
released this week). More, precisely, to make a menu drop down you
have to click twice on the corresponding menu title (except for the
Emacs menu!). If you just click once nothing happens, but if you
click a second time on a different menu that menu drops down.


In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0, NS
appkit-1348.17 Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F2511)) of 2018-05-31 built
on builder10-10.porkrind.org

Thanks for the report. I wonder if this is specific to the
emacsformacosx.com builds or if a native 10.14 build would do the same
thing...?

Is there any chance you could build emacs 26 yourself to check? Or if
anyone else with 10.14 can confirm, that would be great.

The NS menus seem to be a bit kludgy, so they’re probably due for a
bit of refactoring anyway.

Hi, Alan,

I’ll try to build Emacs.app myself. In the meantime, I can confirm
that 1) I’ve had the problem with at least two builds of Emacs
(Macport’s and Emacs for Mac OS X), and 2) a colleague of mine at
work who just installed Mojave has had the same problem with the
same builds of Emacs.

Thanks. Let know how it goes.

BTW, please leave the bug tracker email address in so your email
doesn’t get lost.
-- 
Alan Third

Hi, Alan,

I just compiled Emacs.app 26.1 on my own, and it has exactly the same problem. To be more precise, what seems to happen is that the first click on a menu title does nothing, and the second one drops the menu down. For instance, if you click on the File menu nothing happens, but if you then click on the Buffer menu it drops down normally. Thus, clicking twice on a menu drops it down. Strangely enough, the Emacs menu is an exception, since it works correctly (drops down after one click).

Thanks a lot for your help,

Artemio


Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
[hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#32864: 26.1; menus don't work correctly in Mac OS Mojave

Alan Third
On Mon, Oct 01, 2018 at 03:12:59PM +0200, Artemio González López wrote:
>
> I just compiled Emacs.app 26.1 on my own, and it has exactly the
> same problem. To be more precise, what seems to happen is that the
> first click on a menu title does nothing, and the second one drops
> the menu down. For instance, if you click on the File menu nothing
> happens, but if you then click on the Buffer menu it drops down
> normally. Thus, clicking twice on a menu drops it down. Strangely
> enough, the Emacs menu is an exception, since it works correctly
> (drops down after one click).

Hmm, that doesn’t surprise me a whole lot. IIRC the Emacs menu is
different from the others as it’s not built from elisp, it’s
hard‐coded. I suspect what’s happening is that when you click a menu
the first time it is ‘rebuilt’, and in old versions of macOS it then
opened, however for whatever reason it’s just rebuilding and not
opening in Mojave. The second click doesn’t need to rebuild it because
it’s not ‘changed’, so it just opens.

I’ve no idea why the menus are handled this way. Perhaps it’s normal,
but it seems odd to me. I’d think you’d build the whole menu when it
changed rather than when you try to open them. Perhaps it’s a
performance enhancement.
--
Alan Third



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#32864: Run from Terminal

Omari Norman-2
In reply to this post by Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
I had this same problem using either Emacs 26 from emacsforosx.com or Emacs 27 compiled using MacPorts.

By happenstance I discovered this problem does not exist if I run Emacs from the Terminal (by running the executable).  The problem does exist if I use "open" from the command line, if I run using Spotlight, or if I run it from the Finder.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#32864: Run from Terminal

Omari Norman-2
To clarify, when I run from the Terminal, it still launches GUI Emacs (not terminal Emacs.)

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 12:15 PM Omari Norman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I had this same problem using either Emacs 26 from emacsforosx.com or Emacs 27 compiled using MacPorts.

By happenstance I discovered this problem does not exist if I run Emacs from the Terminal (by running the executable).  The problem does exist if I use "open" from the command line, if I run using Spotlight, or if I run it from the Finder.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#32864: 26.1; menus don't work correctly in Mac OS Mojave

simonjgeorge
In reply to this post by Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
Interestingly this bug disappears when you enable Emacs in Accessibility
under Security and Privacy in System Preferences.



--
Sent from: http://emacs.1067599.n8.nabble.com/Emacs-Bugs-f3.html



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#32864: 26.1; menus don't work correctly in Mac OS Mojave

Alan Third
On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 01:15:35AM -0700, simonjgeorge wrote:
> Interestingly this bug disappears when you enable Emacs in Accessibility
> under Security and Privacy in System Preferences.

That’s interesting. I wonder if Emacs is using some accessibility API
to do its menu opening deferral.
--
Alan Third



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#32864: 26.1; menus don't work correctly in Mac OS Mojave

Robert Pluim
Alan Third <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 01:15:35AM -0700, simonjgeorge wrote:
>> Interestingly this bug disappears when you enable Emacs in Accessibility
>> under Security and Privacy in System Preferences.
>
> That’s interesting. I wonder if Emacs is using some accessibility API
> to do its menu opening deferral.

This is emacs-26.1 built on 10.10, but running on 10.14, right? I
donʼt see such problems with my built on 10.14 26.1 (and I donʼt have
Emacs in the Accessibility settings).

Robert