bug#26327: 25.1; electric-pair-syntax-info unaware of syntax-table property

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#26327: 25.1; electric-pair-syntax-info unaware of syntax-table property

Leo Liu

electric-pair-syntax-info calls (syntax-table) which is unaware of the
syntax-table text property.

electric-pair-syntax-info looks inconsistent. Part of it is based on
point (e.g. syntax-ppss) and part of it not.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#26327: 25.1; electric-pair-syntax-info unaware of syntax-table property

Lars Ingebrigtsen
Leo Liu <[hidden email]> writes:

> electric-pair-syntax-info calls (syntax-table) which is unaware of the
> syntax-table text property.
>
> electric-pair-syntax-info looks inconsistent. Part of it is based on
> point (e.g. syntax-ppss) and part of it not.

(This bug report unfortunately got no response at the time.)

Do you have a recipe to reproduce whatever bug you're seeing?

--
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#26327: 25.1; electric-pair-syntax-info unaware of syntax-table property

Leo Liu
On 2020-11-30 12:19 +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> electric-pair-syntax-info calls (syntax-table) which is unaware of the
>> syntax-table text property.
>>
>> electric-pair-syntax-info looks inconsistent. Part of it is based on
>> point (e.g. syntax-ppss) and part of it not.
>
> (This bug report unfortunately got no response at the time.)
>
> Do you have a recipe to reproduce whatever bug you're seeing?

I can't remember what I had in mind at that time.

But I imagine if ` and ' have word syntax but `` and '' are
syntax-propertized to behave like matching parentheses, then function
syntax-table is not the correct way to access syntax info.

The issue is not specific to elec-pair. Any program that needs to get
the syntax of the char at point needs to check the syntax-table property
first and then check (syntax-table).

Thanks for picking up this bug.
Leo



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#26327: 25.1; electric-pair-syntax-info unaware of syntax-table property

Lars Ingebrigtsen
Leo Liu <[hidden email]> writes:

> I can't remember what I had in mind at that time.
>
> But I imagine if ` and ' have word syntax but `` and '' are
> syntax-propertized to behave like matching parentheses, then function
> syntax-table is not the correct way to access syntax info.
>
> The issue is not specific to elec-pair. Any program that needs to get
> the syntax of the char at point needs to check the syntax-table property
> first and then check (syntax-table).

It's a bit abstract -- unless we have a concrete case to look at, it's
unlikely that there'll be any progress on this issue.

--
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bug#26327: 25.1; electric-pair-syntax-info unaware of syntax-table property

Lars Ingebrigtsen
Lars Ingebrigtsen <[hidden email]> writes:

>> I can't remember what I had in mind at that time.
>>
>> But I imagine if ` and ' have word syntax but `` and '' are
>> syntax-propertized to behave like matching parentheses, then function
>> syntax-table is not the correct way to access syntax info.
>>
>> The issue is not specific to elec-pair. Any program that needs to get
>> the syntax of the char at point needs to check the syntax-table property
>> first and then check (syntax-table).
>
> It's a bit abstract -- unless we have a concrete case to look at, it's
> unlikely that there'll be any progress on this issue.

So I'm closing this bug report.  If further progress can be made, please
respond to the debbugs address and we'll reopen.

--
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no