'apt build-dep emacs' has unmet dependencies

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

'apt build-dep emacs' has unmet dependencies

VanL

Hello,

The other day I was able to run,

        sudo apt build-dep emacs

then configure, build, install Emacs-28 from git repo.

After reflashing the Raspbian Debian Buster image for RPi4B, the package
install command does the following,

,----
| % sudo apt build-dep emacs
| [sudo] password for xxx:
| Reading package lists... Done
| Reading package lists... Done
| Building dependency tree      
| Reading state information... Done
| Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
| requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
| distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
| or been moved out of Incoming.
| The following information may help to resolve the situation:
|
| The following packages have unmet dependencies:
|  builddeps:emacs : Depends: librsvg2-dev but it is not going to be installed
|                    Depends: libgtk-3-dev but it is not going to be installed
|                    Depends: libasound2-dev but it is not going to be installed
|                    Depends: libmagick++-6.q16-dev but it is not going to be installed
| E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
`----

What needs to happen, or I wait for the packages to find a working
state?  I am not using the unstable distrib.

--
 əə0@ 7 6 4 5 bit byte word 6502 memory map dma ssd intelligence io 🐞
 一 二 三 言 語 𝔖 天夫大家 园 元 示 証 明 海 記号意味 白 自 己 外 國 漢 本 華 人
                                           Gnus/Emacs (berkeley-unix)


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 'apt build-dep emacs' has unmet dependencies

Óscar Fuentes
VanL <[hidden email]> writes:

> The other day I was able to run,
>
> sudo apt build-dep emacs

You need to report this to your distro.

Bup keep in mind that your command grabs the build dependencies of the
package corresponding to the stable emacs version distributed by your
distro. It is not surprising that the development sources have different
dependencies.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 'apt build-dep emacs' has unmet dependencies

VanL

>> The other day I was able to run,
>>
>> sudo apt build-dep emacs
>
> You need to report this to your distro.

They are too big a bureaucratic beastie.

> Bup keep in mind that your command grabs the build dependencies of the
> package corresponding to the stable emacs version distributed by your
> distro. It is not surprising that the development sources have different
> dependencies.

Hmm. Thanks.

-- VL



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 'apt build-dep emacs' has unmet dependencies

Yuri Khan-2
In reply to this post by VanL
On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 at 18:51, VanL <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After reflashing the Raspbian Debian Buster image for RPi4B, the package
> install command does the following,
>
> ,----
> | % sudo apt build-dep emacs
> | The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> |  builddeps:emacs : Depends: librsvg2-dev but it is not going to be installed
> |                    Depends: libgtk-3-dev but it is not going to be installed
> |                    Depends: libasound2-dev but it is not going to be installed
> |                    Depends: libmagick++-6.q16-dev but it is not going to be installed
> | E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> `----
>
> What needs to happen, or I wait for the packages to find a working
> state?  I am not using the unstable distrib.

This indicates that your apt knows which packages it needs to install,
but does not know of a repository from which to install them.

What is in your /etc/apt/sources.list (and /etc/apt/sources.list.d, if
any)? Have you done a ‘sudo apt update’ recently?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 'apt build-dep emacs' has unmet dependencies

VanL

>> ,----
>> | % sudo apt build-dep emacs
>> | The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>> |  builddeps:emacs : Depends: librsvg2-dev but it is not going to be installed
>> |                    Depends: libgtk-3-dev but it is not going to be installed
>> |                    Depends: libasound2-dev but it is not going to be installed
>> |                    Depends: libmagick++-6.q16-dev but it is not going to be installed
>> | E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>> `----
>
> This indicates that your apt knows which packages it needs to install,
> but does not know of a repository from which to install them.
>
> What is in your /etc/apt/sources.list (and /etc/apt/sources.list.d, if
> any)? Have you done a ‘sudo apt update’ recently?

The entry in sources.list uses

  deb http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/raspbian/raspbian/ buster...
  deb-src http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/raspbian/raspbian/ buster...
  #deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster...
  #deb-src http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster...

When it worked what I did different was have the git clone of Emacs on
file system before calling 'sudo apt build-dep emacs', I also had
firefox installed which might have put in place the dependencies now
complained about.  It worked the first time, but not after reflash then
the second.

I had to reflash the RPi4B because the first experience update actually
errored and failed due to lag reaching raspberrypi.org, but the UI put
on a cheerful OK button to reboot.  That I didn't do.  

Although I pointed at a closer mirror and did the update again before
first reboot it bugged me until xload registered 50x plus when I decided
to reflash.  My RPi4B came in a box without electrostatic bag which was
disappointing.  The paperwork in the box shows a diagram of the RPi4B in
an electrostatic bag.

Before the second try, I also had commented out in

  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list

  #deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ buster
  #deb-src http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ buster main

uncommenting those, now, gives me 56 upgrades and 1 new package.  But so
slow to update

looks like raspberrypi needs to fan out to cdns in regions.  

I uncomment in /etc/apt/sources.list

  deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster...
  deb-src http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster...

that does not give me more packages to upgrade.

Now, I am able to run 'apt build-dep emacs' successfully.  

The content
from

  http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/

was needed.

Thanks YK for the push in the right direction!

-- VL


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 'apt build-dep emacs' has unmet dependencies

Yuri Khan-2
On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 17:12, VanL <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The entry in sources.list uses
>
>   deb http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/raspbian/raspbian/ buster...
>   deb-src http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/raspbian/raspbian/ buster...
>   #deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster...
>   #deb-src http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster...

Exactly this way, with the ellipses? That’s not going to work.

Otherwise, that mirror seems to be complete, with all four packages
(librsvg2-dev, libgtk-3-dev, libasound2-dev, libmagick++-6.q16-dev)
available in the ‘main’ component. These two lines should have been
sufficient:

    deb http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/raspbian/raspbian/ buster main
    deb-src http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/raspbian/raspbian/ buster main

(for day-to-day use, you might want to also list ‘contrib’ and/or
‘non-free’ components along with ‘main’).

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 'apt build-dep emacs' has unmet dependencies

VanL

>>   #deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster...
>>   #deb-src http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster...
>
> Exactly this way, with the ellipses? That’s not going to work.

I had shortend the line for aesthetics.  Append the following in place
fo the three trailing dots.

s/\.\.\./ main contrib non-free rpi/g

> Otherwise, that mirror seems to be complete, with all four packages
> (librsvg2-dev, libgtk-3-dev, libasound2-dev, libmagick++-6.q16-dev)
> available in the ‘main’ component. These two lines should have been
> sufficient:
>
>     deb http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/raspbian/raspbian/ buster main
>     deb-src http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/raspbian/raspbian/ buster main

It was important to discover the 56+1 packages of firmware updates &c
from the raspi archive entry.

-- VL