a mysterious star on the Gnus firmament

Emanuel Berg-5
OK, this must be the silliest problem yet, that
I have been unable to solve!

Just now, I fell asleep for like ~1s but it was
enough for me to accidentally press some
buttons while in a Gnus Summary buffer.
What happened was, an asterisk (the `*' char)
appeared to the right of a single e-mail, at
the 2nd position left-to-right (or Emacs buffer
column 1, if you will).

Inspecting `gnus-summary-line-format', we see
that

    gnus-summary-line-format is a variable
    defined in `gnus.el'. Its value is
    "%*%U%3{%R%} %I%1{%f%} %5{%s%}

so it would seem the `*' is in the "%R spot"!
Further down, it says

    %R  "A" if this article has been replied to,
        " " otherwise (character)

Hm - first, what does that mean? I get it "A"
is "replied to" (A for "answered", perhaps),
and that " " (i.e. no visible char) means it
isn't answered I mean replied to. But what does
"(character)" mean?

Second, what does the `*' char mean, how did it
get there (except for me falling asleep), and
how do I remove it?

TIA

Re: a mysterious star on the Gnus firmament

Andreas Schwab-2
On Mär 22 2019, Emanuel Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Second, what does the `*' char mean, how did it
> get there (except for me falling asleep), and
> how do I remove it?

* runs the command gnus-cache-enter-article (found in
  gnus-summary-mode-map), which is an interactive autoloaded compiled Lisp
  function in ‘gnus-cache.el’.

It is bound to *, <menu-bar> <Article> <Cache> <Enter article>.

(gnus-cache-enter-article &optional N)

Enter the next N articles into the cache.
If not given a prefix, use the process marked articles instead.
Returns the list of articles entered.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

Re: a mysterious star on the Gnus firmament

Dan Sommers
On 3/22/19 4:20 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> Just now, I fell asleep for like ~1s but it was
> enough for me to accidentally press some
> buttons while in a Gnus Summary buffer.
> What happened was, an asterisk (the `*' char)
> appeared to the right of a single e-mail, at
> the 2nd position left-to-right (or Emacs buffer
> column 1, if you will).

The next time something like happens, try running
M-x view-lossage, usually also bound to C-h l.

Andreas Schwab wrote:

>> Second, what does the `*' char mean, how did
>> it get there (except for me falling asleep),
>> and how do I remove it?
>
> * runs the command gnus-cache-enter-article
> (found in gnus-summary-mode-map), which is an
> interactive autoloaded compiled Lisp function
> in ‘gnus-cache.el’.

Thank you. You remove it with the default `M-*'
for `gnus-cache-remove-article'.

Dan Sommers wrote:

>> Just now, I fell asleep for like ~1s but it
>> was enough for me to accidentally press some
>> buttons while in a Gnus Summary buffer.
>> What happened was, an asterisk (the `*'
>> char) appeared to the right of a single
>> e-mail, at the 2nd position left-to-right
>> (or Emacs buffer column 1, if you will).
>
> The next time something like happens, try
> running M-x view-lossage, usually also bound
> to C-h l.

:D