Using beets.io search results as emms playlist

Using beets.io search results as emms playlist

Garjola Dindi

Hi,

I have recently started using Beets (http://beets.io/) to manage my
music library. It is a great tool to curate and search a large music
library and has the ability to generate playlists.

I was wondering if anybody here is also using it and would have some
tips on how to couple it with emms.

Thanks!

Re: Using beets.io search results as emms playlist

Yoni Rabkin-2
Garjola Dindi <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently started using Beets (http://beets.io/) to manage my
> music library. It is a great tool to curate and search a large music
> library and has the ability to generate playlists.
>
> I was wondering if anybody here is also using it and would have some
> tips on how to couple it with emms.
>
> Thanks!

I'm unfamiliar with the project, which looks like a collation of python
scripts. As long as they don't transitively end up calling non-free
software I certainly don't have any objection to it.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, have a certain type of
integration with Emms in mind please feel free to write in and we'll
discuss implementing it.

On Wed 27-Nov-2019 at 16:15:06 +01, Yoni Rabkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Garjola Dindi <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have recently started using Beets (http://beets.io/) to manage my
>> music library. It is a great tool to curate and search a large music
>> library and has the ability to generate playlists.
>>
>> I was wondering if anybody here is also using it and would have some
>> tips on how to couple it with emms.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I'm unfamiliar with the project, which looks like a collation of python
> scripts. As long as they don't transitively end up calling non-free
> software I certainly don't have any objection to it.
>
> If you, or anyone else for that matter, have a certain type of
> integration with Emms in mind please feel free to write in and we'll
> discuss implementing it.

Thanks for the follow-up. Actually, I have found a plugin for beets
which can update an MPD DB. So I guess that I can use EMMS’ MPD
interface and see if I can do what I have in mind.

Right now, I am no able to use EMMS with MPD, but I can’t figure out
where the issue is. I am a beginner with both of them.

Is there any tutorial (in addition to the EMMS manual) for the MPD
interface? Any config examples?

I would really like to stay in Emacs for everything and
music is one of the last pieces I am missing.

Thanks again.

Re: Using beets.io search results as emms playlist

Mike Kazantsev-2
On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 12:01:17 +0100
Garjola Dindi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently started using Beets (http://beets.io/) to manage my
> music library. It is a great tool to curate and search a large music
> library and has the ability to generate playlists.
>
> I was wondering if anybody here is also using it and would have some
> tips on how to couple it with emms.

I had this script for a while, though rarely use it:
https://github.com/mk-fg/fgtk/blob/master/desktop/emms_beets_enqueue

It basically does:

  beet ls -f '$path' ... |
  xargs -n1 -d'\n' -I'{}' emacsclient -e '(emms-add-file "{}")'

Where "..." are the arguments passed to it, in beets querying language
( https://beets.readthedocs.io/en/stable/reference/query.html ).

You can probably replace it with much simplier shell script that runs
above command with "$@" (arguments passed to it), if you have something
like:

  replace:
    '"': '-'

...in ~/.config/beets/config.yaml (to replace " in filenames with -).

Though I found myself pretty much never using it over the years, as
beets does very good job of organizing imported music into directories,
so that it's easy to find anything there for me without db queries.

Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net

Re: Using beets.io search results as emms playlist

Yoni Rabkin-2

I don't use mpd at all, but for the sake of testing your report I
installed it on a machine (named "workroom") within my network. I used
all of the default settings as far as mpd is concerned, with the
exception of setting the music directory in mpd.conf.

Then on a remote machine running Emms I had the following:

    (setq emms-player-mpd-server-name "workroom.local"
     emms-player-mpd-server-port "6600"
          emms-player-mpd-music-directory "/home/workroom/Music")
    (add-to-list 'emms-info-functions 'emms-info-mpd)
    (add-to-list 'emms-player-list 'emms-player-mpd)

This was sufficient to then do a `emms-player-mpd-connect' and then to
control the remote mpd instance. So as far as I can tell mpd work with
Emms. Which errors are you getting; at which point does the above break
down?