Using authinfo for libre.fm streaming

Kevin J. McCarthy
I was trying to set up libre.fm streaming today.  I stored my
user/password in ~/.authinfo.gpg, but after invoking emms-librefm-stream
and typing a URL, emacs printed the error "null username".

I poked around the source a bit, and it looks like the libre.fm
scrobbler code has helper functions emms-librefm-scrobbler--username and
emms-librefm-scrobbler--password that look in authinfo first and fall
back to the variables, but the stream code just directly references the
variables.

Would it be possible to change the libre.fm stream code to use those
helpers, or something similar as appropriate?

Thank you!

-Kevin

Re: Using authinfo for libre.fm streaming

Yoni Rabkin-2
"Kevin J. McCarthy" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I was trying to set up libre.fm streaming today.  I stored my
> user/password in ~/.authinfo.gpg, but after invoking
> emms-librefm-stream and typing a URL, emacs printed the error "null
> username".
>
> I poked around the source a bit, and it looks like the libre.fm
> scrobbler code has helper functions emms-librefm-scrobbler--username
> and emms-librefm-scrobbler--password that look in authinfo first and
> fall back to the variables, but the stream code just directly
> references the variables.
>
> Would it be possible to change the libre.fm stream code to use those
> helpers, or something similar as appropriate?

Thank you for the bug report. I'll add it to the list and send a reply
to the list once it has been fixed.

Re: Using authinfo for libre.fm streaming

Yoni Rabkin-2
"Kevin J. McCarthy" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I was trying to set up libre.fm streaming today.  I stored my
> user/password in ~/.authinfo.gpg, but after invoking
> emms-librefm-stream and typing a URL, emacs printed the error "null
> username".
>
> I poked around the source a bit, and it looks like the libre.fm
> scrobbler code has helper functions emms-librefm-scrobbler--username
> and emms-librefm-scrobbler--password that look in authinfo first and
> fall back to the variables, but the stream code just directly
> references the variables.
>
> Would it be possible to change the libre.fm stream code to use those
> helpers, or something similar as appropriate?

I've made that change and pushed it to the Savannah git repo. Can you
test it there before I update Emms on ELPA?

On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 11:13:06AM -0400, Yoni Rabkin wrote:
>"Kevin J. McCarthy" <[hidden email]> writes:
>> Would it be possible to change the libre.fm stream code to use those
>> helpers, or something similar as appropriate?
>
>I've made that change and pushed it to the Savannah git repo. Can you
>test it there before I update Emms on ELPA?

Hi Yoni,

I've just tested it, and it seems to work fine.  Thank you for the quick
fix!

-Kevin

Re: Using authinfo for libre.fm streaming

Yoni Rabkin-2
"Kevin J. McCarthy" <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 11:13:06AM -0400, Yoni Rabkin wrote:
>>"Kevin J. McCarthy" <[hidden email]> writes:
>>> Would it be possible to change the libre.fm stream code to use those
>>> helpers, or something similar as appropriate?
>>
>>I've made that change and pushed it to the Savannah git repo. Can you
>>test it there before I update Emms on ELPA?
>
> Hi Yoni,
>
> I've just tested it, and it seems to work fine.  Thank you for the
> quick fix!

Great; it will go out in the next 7-point-something release on elpa.