Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

PawWriter
I am looking for some help with Upgrading Emacs. My current version is

GNU Emacs 23.3.1. EMacs is now up to 25.3 and has a different

directory structure. my .emacs has over 100 lines and doesn't run on

25.3 and I have one of my utilities which has been completely

rewritten on 25.3 and won't run on 23.3.1.

I have tried Googling updating Emacs and have not found any detailed

help on what to do. Could someone give me some help?

I just think I need someone here with me to walk me thru it. I already have
25.3 on my computer, in an Emacs1 directory, but the directory structure is
so different, I have so much in my .emacs, and I need updated versions of
many of the procedures and am not sure where to get them all. I live near
Harrisburg, PA.

Re: Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

Eli Zaretskii
> From: "Paw Writer" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2017 23:59:45 -0400
>
> I am looking for some help with Upgrading Emacs. My current version is
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1. EMacs is now up to 25.3 and has a different
> directory structure. my .emacs has over 100 lines and doesn't run on
> 25.3 and I have one of my utilities which has been completely
> rewritten on 25.3 and won't run on 23.3.1.

I think you should begin by posting the error messages you get when
starting Emacs 25.3, then people here will help you fix those errors
one by one.

Re: Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

Kaushal Modi
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017, 8:30 AM Paw Writer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am looking for some help with Upgrading Emacs. My current version is
>
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1. EMacs is now up to 25.3 and has a different
>
> directory structure.

How does the Emacs directory structure matter?

my .emacs has over 100 lines

Can you share your .emacs? Probably attach?

and doesn't run on

> 25.3

When you say "doesn't run", what happens? Do you get an error? Run "emacs
--debug-init", and report back the error backtrace if you get one.

and I have one of my utilities which has been completely

> rewritten on 25.3 and won't run on 23.3.1.

Again, what does "won't run" mean? What utility is that? Not sure why it
would need to be rewritten unless you can share the code.

Kaushal Modi

Re: Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

benoit
Hi there,

Can you also try to open your new emacs without loading your .emacs ? Just
do:
emacs -q
Is Emacs starting ?
If not, the problem is not in your .emacs file.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 2:42 PM Kaushal Modi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017, 8:30 AM Paw Writer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I am looking for some help with Upgrading Emacs. My current version is
> >
> > GNU Emacs 23.3.1. EMacs is now up to 25.3 and has a different
> >
> > directory structure.
>

> How does the Emacs directory structure matter?
>
> my .emacs has over 100 lines
>

> Can you share your .emacs? Probably attach?
>
> and doesn't run on
> >
> > 25.3
>

> When you say "doesn't run", what happens? Do you get an error? Run "emacs
> --debug-init", and report back the error backtrace if you get one.
>
> and I have one of my utilities which has been completely
> >
> > rewritten on 25.3 and won't run on 23.3.1.
> >

> Again, what does "won't run" mean? What utility is that? Not sure why it
> would need to be rewritten unless you can share the code.
>
> Kaushal Modi

Re: Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

Patricia Hawkins
Congratulations, my combined emacs config files have 1644 lines of actual
not-commented-out code.  (I should REALLY clean them up, but hey, they do work.)
They've been evolving since maybe 1990... I didn't think to capture my first set of
emacs config files which I started ~1986.

SO, when stuff breaks for whatever reason, here is what I do:

If the break is non-obvious, I just do divide-and-conquer to figure out what isn't
working in my .emacs or other setup files.

Comment out the bottom half of your .emacs (roughly; obviously you don't break code
to do this.)  I generally comment it with something like ";;PJH;;" using "string
rectangle" so it's easy to strip out again.

Does that work? Yes? Great!  Drop a comment line at the top of the commented section:
;;PJH works to here <2017-10-10 Tue>

Strip the comments from the top half of the commented section.  Restart emacs.

Doesn't work? Great! The problem is in the chunk you just uncommented. Comment out
half of it.  Restart emacs.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Oh, and if you're not sure if a particular config file is getting read or not, go put
an obvious error in it. Or add a line that will do something clear and obvious.  (I call
this, "If you can't fix it, break it worse.")

And as for directories moving around, below is a chunk from a historic .emacs file of
mine; note the commented-out code.

I had this thing shared with a Windows virtual machine, and running OK on both
the Ubuntu host and OSCAR, the Windows virtual machine, which had my elisp directory
mounted as z:

Oh, and then I did some fun stuff with guix, but IMO it's not ready for prime time
yet, so the directory structures from that are commented out too.

I do go for pragmatic over nice...

;; BEGIN .emacs CODE CHUNK
;;
;; (if (equal system-name "OSCAR")
;;     (setq pjh-base-lispdir "z:/elisp"
;; pjh-emacs-base-lispdir  "c:/emacs/emacs-23.1-bin-i386/emacs-23.1/"
;; custom-file "z:/.emacs-custom.el"
;; )
  (setq  pjh-base-lispdir (expand-file-name "~/elisp/")
                        pjh-emacs-base-lispdir "/usr/share/emacs/"
;         pjh-emacs-base-lispdir "/home/pjh/.guix-profile/share/emacs"
         custom-file "~/.emacs-custom.el")
;;  )

;(if
;    (not (equal (expand-file-name "~/elisp") (car load-path)))
    (custom-set-variables
     '(load-path
       (append (list

                pjh-base-lispdir
                (concat pjh-base-lispdir "ljupdate")
; (concat pjh-base-lispdir "i3-emacs")
                (concat pjh-base-lispdir "g-client")
                (concat pjh-base-lispdir "site-lisp/w3m")
                (concat pjh-base-lispdir "emacs-calfw-master")
;
; "/gnu/store/02ynsjc924vi2p36dxgz7r7q10wr2k41-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/" ; what's in my personal guix installation
; "/home/pjh/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp" ; what's in the base emacs guix installation

; "/home/pjh/Downloads/guix-0.10.0/emacs/"
; (expand-file-name "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/")

; (expand-file-name "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/")
                (concat pjh-base-lispdir "/home/pjh/.emacs.d/elpa") ;stuff installed from elpa

                )
               load-path
               ))
     )

;(add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/directory-with-guix.el")
;(with-eval-after-load 'guix-autoloads nil t)
;(require 'guix-autoloads nil t)

Patricia J. Hawkins

RE: Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

PawWriter
Patrica, that is the best answer I've gotten yet. I'll  let you know
privately how it works. No use cluttering up the List.