Unable to run 64-bit GNU Emacs 25.3 on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Unable to run 64-bit GNU Emacs 25.3 on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Kraai, Matthew
Hi,

After unpacking https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.3-x86_64.zip using Info-ZIP's UnZip 6.00 on a system running Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1, nothing happens when I run runemacs.exe.  I've tried running it from Windows Explorer, a Command Prompt window, and a Git Bash window.  I've checked the signature of the .ZIP file using the key whose fingerprint is 8493 0FFB 79B6 45F7 DEA2  9AD0 AC6D D3FF D1D0 46BD.

When I perform the same steps using either https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.2-x86_64.zip or https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.3-i686.zip, Emacs starts successfully.

Matt

RE: Unable to run 64-bit GNU Emacs 25.3 on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Kraai, Matthew
Hi,

According to the documentation for ScriptFreeCache at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd319121(v=vs.85).aspx,

> To maintain the ability to run on Windows 7, a module that uses Uniscribe must specify Usp10.lib before gdi32.lib in its library list.

configure.ac appears to pass -lgdi32 before -lusp10.  Maybe this is the cause of the problem?

--
Matt

Re: Unable to run 64-bit GNU Emacs 25.3 on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Phillip Lord-3

Is this on a single machine, or more than one?

Presumably, it's a 64 bit machine?

On Mon, September 18, 2017 4:45 pm, Kraai, Matthew wrote:

> After unpacking
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.3-x86_64.zip using
> Info-ZIP's UnZip 6.00 on a system running Windows 7 Professional Service
> Pack 1, nothing happens when I run runemacs.exe.  I've tried running it
> from Windows Explorer, a Command Prompt window, and a Git Bash window.
> I've checked the signature of the .ZIP file using the key whose
> fingerprint is 8493 0FFB 79B6 45F7 DEA2  9AD0 AC6D D3FF D1D0 46BD.
>
> When I perform the same steps using either
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.2-x86_64.zip or
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.3-i686.zip, Emacs starts
> successfully.
>
> Matt

Re: Unable to run 64-bit GNU Emacs 25.3 on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

> From: "Kraai, Matthew" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 14:55:43 +0000
>
> According to the documentation for ScriptFreeCache at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd319121(v=vs.85).aspx,
>
> > To maintain the ability to run on Windows 7, a module that uses Uniscribe must specify Usp10.lib before gdi32.lib in its library list.
>
> configure.ac appears to pass -lgdi32 before -lusp10.  Maybe this is the cause of the problem?

Unlikely, since the binary of the previous version, 25.2, which does
work for the OP, was produced using the same link command.

RE: Unable to run 64-bit GNU Emacs 25.3 on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Kraai, Matthew

The problem also occurs on a 64-bit system running Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1.

The original machine is a 64-bit machine.

Is this on a single machine, or more than one?

Presumably, it's a 64 bit machine?

On Mon, September 18, 2017 4:45 pm, Kraai, Matthew wrote:

> After unpacking
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.3-x86_64.zip using
> Info-ZIP's UnZip 6.00 on a system running Windows 7 Professional Service
> Pack 1, nothing happens when I run runemacs.exe.  I've tried running it
> from Windows Explorer, a Command Prompt window, and a Git Bash window.
> I've checked the signature of the .ZIP file using the key whose
> fingerprint is 8493 0FFB 79B6 45F7 DEA2  9AD0 AC6D D3FF D1D0 46BD.
>
> When I perform the same steps using either
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.2-x86_64.zip or
> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.3-i686.zip, Emacs starts
> successfully.
>
> Matt

Re: Unable to run 64-bit GNU Emacs 25.3 on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

> From: "Kraai, Matthew" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 16:45:57 +0000
>
> After unpacking https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.3-x86_64.zip using Info-ZIP's UnZip 6.00 on a system running Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1, nothing happens when I run runemacs.exe.  I've tried running it from Windows Explorer, a Command Prompt window, and a Git Bash window.  I've checked the signature of the .ZIP file using the key whose fingerprint is 8493 0FFB 79B6 45F7 DEA2  9AD0 AC6D D3FF D1D0 46BD.
>
> When I perform the same steps using either https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.2-x86_64.zip or https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-25.3-i686.zip, Emacs starts successfully.

Please report this as a bug, this list is not exactly optimal to
discuss such problems.

But as long as I have your attention: does the Windows Event Viewer
show something about the problem under Applications?

Re: Unable to run 64-bit GNU Emacs 25.3 on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Eli Zaretskii
> From: 张鸥 <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 11:55:27 +0800
>
> I think Matt may find the root cause per https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd319121
> (v=vs.85).aspx.
> > Important Starting with Windows 8: To maintain the ability to run on Windows 7, a module that uses
> Uniscribe must specify Usp10.lib before gdi32.lib in its library list.
>
> BTW, I am able to run Emacs 25.3 on Windows 10, while unable on Windows 7 (any edition).

That would mean Emacs 25.3 binaries were produced with a version of
MinGW different from that of 25.2.  Is that true?

Re: Unable to run 64-bit GNU Emacs 25.3 on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Vincent-33
I think so. At least there are some differences.

Thanks & Regards
Vincent Zhang

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > From: 张鸥 <[hidden email]>
> > Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 11:55:27 +0800
> >
> > I think Matt may find the root cause per https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-
> us/library/windows/desktop/dd319121
> > (v=vs.85).aspx.
> > > Important Starting with Windows 8: To maintain the ability to run on
> Windows 7, a module that uses
> > Uniscribe must specify Usp10.lib before gdi32.lib in its library list.
> >
> > BTW, I am able to run Emacs 25.3 on Windows 10, while unable on Windows
> 7 (any edition).
>
> That would mean Emacs 25.3 binaries were produced with a version of
> MinGW different from that of 25.2.  Is that true?

Re: Unable to run 64-bit GNU Emacs 25.3 on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Richard Copley-2

Isn't it <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28493>?

Re: Unable to run 64-bit GNU Emacs 25.3 on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Phillip Lord-3

>> From: 张鸥 <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 11:55:27 +0800
>>
>> I think Matt may find the root cause per
>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd319121
>> (v=vs.85).aspx.
>> > Important Starting with Windows 8: To maintain the ability to run
>> on Windows 7, a module that uses
>> Uniscribe must specify Usp10.lib before gdi32.lib in its library list.
>>
>> BTW, I am able to run Emacs 25.3 on Windows 10, while unable on Windows 7 (any edition).
>
> That would mean Emacs 25.3 binaries were produced with a version of
> MinGW different from that of 25.2.  Is that true?

Not sure I replied. Yes, it is true. I update msys2 between builds.

Phil