Switch eshell to simple bash-style completion?

Switch eshell to simple bash-style completion?

Christopher Howard-2
Hi, I've been enjoying using eshell more and more, but I can't get used
to the default completion method where it picks the most recently
modified and then cycles through. Can I make it act like bash and just
complete up to the last unambiguous letter? I see some relevant looking
variables, but am not sure what to do with them. I am running Emacs
24.5.1.

--
https://qlfiles.net
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/

Re: Switch eshell to simple bash-style completion?

Emanuel Berg-4
Christopher Howard wrote:

> Hi, I've been enjoying using eshell more and
> more, but I can't get used to the default
> completion method where it picks the most
> recently modified and then cycles through.
> Can I make it act like bash and just complete
> up to the last unambiguous letter? I see some
> relevant looking variables, but am not sure
> what to do with them.

Probably what you see is
`eshell-command-completion-function', and
usually when there are alternatives those are
given in the help - also, I can't find any - so
probably you'll have to implement the bash
style yourself :) (Perhaps not as difficult as
it sounds if you can find and reuse some
similar completion mechanism already in Emacs!)

You could just use M-x shell RET if it is just
a bash window you are looking for, of course.

Re: Switch eshell to simple bash-style completion?

John Wiegley

CH> Hi, I've been enjoying using eshell more and more, but I can't get used to
CH> the default completion method where it picks the most recently modified
CH> and then cycles through. Can I make it act like bash and just complete up
CH> to the last unambiguous letter? I see some relevant looking variables, but
CH> am not sure what to do with them. I am running Emacs 24.5.1.

You could try setting eshell-cmpl-cycle-cutoff-length to a low value, like 1.

--
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2