Slime/Melpa: Cannot open load file: no such file or directory, ../lib/macrostep

Slime/Melpa: Cannot open load file: no such file or directory, ../lib/macrostep

Emanuel Berg-4
I just installed Slime from Melpa but when
I now byte compile Emacs it says,

    Error: Cannot open load file: no such file
    or directory, ../lib/macrostep.

The thing that might complicate matters is
I had SLIME from my package manager but reading
the manual where it said

    The easiest way to install and keep SLIME
    up-to-date is using Emacs's built-in
    package manager. SLIME is available from
    the MELPA repository. [1]

I did 'sudo aptitude purge slime' to get
a fresh start, then I installed via Melpa.

Still, what happened (?), shouldn't
happen, right?

[1] https://common-lisp.net/project/slime/doc/html/Installation.html

Re: Slime/Melpa: Cannot open load file: no such file or directory, ../lib/macrostep

Emanuel Berg-4
Emanuel Berg wrote:

> I just installed Slime from Melpa but when
> I now byte compile Emacs it says,
>
>     Error: Cannot open load file: no such file
> or directory, ../lib/macrostep.

OK, macrostep [1] is some software component
related to Lisp programming. I managed to get
away with the problem (the error message when
byte-compiling) by adding this to the load
path in the makefile:

    ~/.emacs.d/elpa/macrostep-20161120.1306

By the way, my Makefile [2] now has tons of
those appends to the load path.

Is this really how you do it?

How do you do it?

[1] https://github.com/joddie/macrostep