Simplest ssh line

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
In (info "(tramp) Quick Start Guide")

  If your local host runs an SSH client, and the remote host runs an SSH
  server, the simplest remote file name is ‘/ssh:user@host:/path/to/file’.

My experiments found that

/ssh:user@host:.

works and is simpler than

/ssh:user@host:/home/user

so mention that too. Maybe I don't even need the trailing dot. Mention if/not.

Also if one can do

Anyway, users wonder
"If I can do
$ ssh host
as a shortcut to
$ ssh user@host
as I am the same user there,
then maybe some shortcuts are possible when calling tramp too."
So please mention them there!

Re: Simplest ssh line

Michael Albinus
積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[hidden email]> writes:

Hi Dan,

> In (info "(tramp) Quick Start Guide")
>
>   If your local host runs an SSH client, and the remote host runs an SSH
>   server, the simplest remote file name is ‘/ssh:user@host:/path/to/file’.
>
> My experiments found that
>
> /ssh:user@host:.
>
> works and is simpler than
>
> /ssh:user@host:/home/user
>
> so mention that too. Maybe I don't even need the trailing dot. Mention if/not.

But this is a special case for /home/user. The Tramp manual is not the
place to list the extensive list of possible special cases. And for
other methods, this might even not be true.

> Anyway, users wonder
> "If I can do
> $ ssh host
> as a shortcut to
> $ ssh user@host
> as I am the same user there,
> then maybe some shortcuts are possible when calling tramp too."
> So please mention them there!

It is not a shortcut, but plain ssh behavior. If you don't give a user
name, the local user name is taken unless there is a user name in
./ssh/config. The Tramp manual is not the place to describe all ssh
configuration possiblities; the man page of ssh does it better.

Using Tramp requires basic knowledge about the underlying commands.

Best regards, Michael.

Re: Simplest ssh line

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
The problem is the way the manual is worded, the user thinks that tramp
_does not_ use any of the ssh shortcut notations. The manual says "the
shortest way".

So please say that it indeed does.

In fact now that you say that it does use the ssh shortcuts, I find
C-x C-f /ssh:jidanni.org: indeed works for me, (but
C-x C-f /ssh:jidanni.org
doesn't).

So please mention that one can almost do just like one does when doing
$ ssh ...
else users will think according to the manual it won't work, and not
even try it, and instead just use the long versions. Thanks.

Re: Simplest ssh line

Michael Albinus
積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[hidden email]> writes:

Hi Dan,

> The problem is the way the manual is worded, the user thinks that tramp
> _does not_ use any of the ssh shortcut notations. The manual says "the
> shortest way".

I don't know what you are speaking on. "shortcut" is not used in the ssh
man pages (with one exception about proxy jumps, which do not matter for
Tramp). So there's nothing to say about.

> In fact now that you say that it does use the ssh shortcuts, I find
> C-x C-f /ssh:jidanni.org: indeed works for me, (but
> C-x C-f /ssh:jidanni.org
> doesn't).

Are you kidding? You know, that "/ssh:jidanni.org" is not a valid Tramp name.

> So please mention that one can almost do just like one does when doing
> $ ssh ...
> else users will think according to the manual it won't work, and not
> even try it, and instead just use the long versions. Thanks.

You lost me, sorry. The Tramp manual is not about ssh commands; and it
tries to avoid underlying command details (not only for ssh). It would
be all too much.

For example, "ssh host" can behave different, depending on your
.ssh/config. Tramp won't explain all these details, this is left to the
ssh manuals.

So I don't see what needs to be changed. Pls show me *errors* in the
Tramp manual, and I will fix. That's it.

Best regards, Michael.