Re: solarized

Tim Cross-5

On 2020-09-15 15:15 +03, Elias Mårtenson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Interesting. For me, who has enough astigmatism to make it completely
> impossible to read anything with dark backgrounds, I find solarised to have
> way too little contrast. The yellow background is much too dark for me.

I too prefer light backgrounds (just switched to modus-operandi and it’s
_great_ btw). Both dark and light Solarized have the ‘art exhibition’
effect for me: trying to read the writing on exhibition / museum walls,
which is almost always thin type in dim white letters over grayish walls
with almost no contrast, I always get headaches 10 minutes in.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427

This is the challenge WRT accessibility. For me, with very poor vision (legally blind), I find Solarized dark theme to be one of the most accessible themes I've used. I have a real problem with 'light' themes and need themes with a darker background. Unfortunately, I also have problems with some 'pink' or 'purple' colours, which just appear blurred to me.

The solarised themse are good themes and quite popular and I think they should definitely be added to the default set of themes included in Emacs. Whether either of them should be the default theme is another question, but it would be good to be able to just turn them on if needed.

--
regards,

Tim

Tim Cross

Re: solarized

Tim Cross-5

On 2020-09-16 04:30 +03, Tim Cross <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The solarised themse are good themes and quite popular and I think they
> should definitely be added to the default set of themes included in Emacs.
> Whether either of them should be the default theme is another question, but
> it would be good to be able to just turn them on if needed.

That’s why I think fiddling with defaults is kinda missing the point.
We all have what our minds want and bodies need, and the colours of a
program we’ll use a lot, if configurable, is one of the first things
we’ll adjust.  When I watch coding videos for example, I rarely see
people sticking to even VS Code’s or Sublime Text’s default
colourschemes, which are dark and ‘trendy’.  So it might not be worth
the breakage.

What I meant was having solarised as one of the options in the themes included by default as opposed to making it the default theme. I am one of those who almost always will need to tweak any theme because of specific vision issues I have. Starting with a good base theme and tweaking from there is a lot easier than having to start with a theme which is less suitable.  Emacs current comes with 14 'default' themes - I was just suggesting adding a version of solarized-light and solarised-dark to that list.

In the long-term, I think an API and theme generator which makes it easier to create consistent or customize existing themes is the real solution. Emacs already has the most flexible infrastructure for creating themes, but working at the low level. setting each face individually, is slow and difficult, requiring lots of trial and error to get right. A good theme generator could make this easier, continuing Emacs' customizable and extensible forte.

--
regards,

Tim

--