Re: Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

Stefan Monnier
> I know I have to do that, I just think I need someone here with me to walk
> me thru it.

We can easily do that over email.

> I already have 25.3 on my computer, in an Emacs1 directory, but
> the directory structure is so different,

That's hard to believe.  The directory structure hasn't changed much
between 23 and 25.

> I have so much in my .emacs, and I need updated versions of many of
> the procedures and am not sure where to get them all.

There's usually very little that needs to be changed when upgrading,
even for releases that are several years apart, as in your case.

Re: Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

Óscar Fuentes
Stefan Monnier <[hidden email]> writes:

>> I already have 25.3 on my computer, in an Emacs1 directory, but
>> the directory structure is so different,
>
> That's hard to believe.  The directory structure hasn't changed much
> between 23 and 25.

He probably is using Windows.

Re: Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

Stefan Monnier
>>> I already have 25.3 on my computer, in an Emacs1 directory, but
>>> the directory structure is so different,
>> That's hard to believe.  The directory structure hasn't changed much
>> between 23 and 25.
> He probably is using Windows.

I guess statistically that's true, yes, but I don't see how that
explains why he find the directory structure to be "so different".

I think his notion of "directory structure" is quite different
from mine.

Re: Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

Phillip Lord-3

>>> That's hard to believe.  The directory structure hasn't changed much
>>> between 23 and 25.
>> He probably is using Windows.
>
> I guess statistically that's true, yes, but I don't see how that
> explains why he find the directory structure to be "so different".
>
> I think his notion of "directory structure" is quite different
> from mine.

He's correct. The directory structure changed from 23 to 24 I think,
along with the build proceedure. The Emacs-25 zip files actually are
actually tar bombs which extract to multiple sub-directories (/var,
/etc and so on).

Phil

Re: Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

Stefan Monnier
> He's correct. The directory structure changed from 23 to 24 I think,
> along with the build proceedure. The Emacs-25 zip files actually are
> actually tar bombs which extract to multiple sub-directories (/var,
> /etc and so on).

Ha!  Indeed I see this now.  Didn't know about that!
[ Or at least, can't remember it or any discussion about it.  ]

Re: Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

Eli Zaretskii

You just don't remember, there were too many discussions of that.

Re: Updating from Emacs 23.3.1 to 25.3

Stefan Monnier
> You just don't remember, there were too many discussions of that.

Yes, I probably skipped them because they were specific to w32.

        Stefan