Re: How do I set border color in 21.3 (Win32)

Re: How do I set border color in 21.3 (Win32)

Bob Babcock
"rgb" <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

> I've found that using C-h c and then clicking on some part of the
> screen often tells me it's name.  For example in this case I get
>
> <right-fringe> <mouse-1> (translated from <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>)
> runs the command mouse-set-point

C-h c does a backspace and inserts a "c" for me...
C-\ c invokes describe-key-briefly, but when I click on the fringe, it
doesn't say anything about right-fringe in either the minibuffer or the
*Messages* buffer.

Re: How do I set border color in 21.3 (Win32)

Bob Babcock
Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

>> It seems people rarely come up with "fringe" on their own, instead they
>> think of "border" or "margin".
>
> I thought about these myself, but the problem is, we already have
> other features that have these two words in their names.  I'll see if
> I can come up with something nonetheless.

When I look up border in info, the first thing I find is

   "An Emacs frame has an internal border and an external border.  The
internal border is an extra strip of the background color around the
text portion of the frame."

This definition of internal border comes very close to fitting fringe, but
the fringe doesn't use the background color and doesn't completely surround
the text portion of the frame.  Perhaps there could be a note at this point
in the documentation defining the fringe.

I quized my son, who is not an emacs user, and he suggested the name gutter
for the fringe area (as well as border and margin).

Re: How do I set border color in 21.3 (Win32)

> From: Bob Babcock <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 02:00:33 GMT
>
> C-h c does a backspace and inserts a "c" for me...

Then try "F1 c" instead.

Re: How do I set border color in 21.3 (Win32)

> <right-fringe> <mouse-1> (translated from <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>)

The fringe wasn't clickable in Emacs-21.N (it's an Emacs-CVS feature).