Re: High-res Customize icons

Clément Pit-Claudel
On 23/04/2020 11.08, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Stefan Kangas <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 16:07:30 +0200
>> Cc: Emacs developers <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Thinking about this a bit more, why did they choose to package the
>> icons up as ttf fonts instead of just including them as image files?
>
> An excellent question, IMO.

I agree, but we need to solve two concrete issues with SVG scalable images before they are usable:

* Automatic scaling (changing the font size automatically resizes icon fonts, but not images)
* Adjusting the background color (currently the SVG renderer uses the background color of the default face, while icon fonts use the right background color)

Juri mentioned these issues in https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-09/msg00414.html, and until we have a fix SVG isn't really usable as a replacement for icon fonts.

Clément.

Re: High-res Customize icons

Stefan Kangas
Clément Pit-Claudel <[hidden email]> writes:

> I agree, but we need to solve two concrete issues with SVG scalable images before they are usable:
>
> * Automatic scaling (changing the font size automatically resizes icon fonts, but not images)

I seem to remember we discussed this a while back, but can't find it
now nor remember the conclusion.

> * Adjusting the background color (currently the SVG renderer uses the background color of the default face, while icon fonts use the right background color)
>
> Juri mentioned these issues in https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-09/msg00414.html, and until we have a fix SVG isn't really usable as a replacement for icon fonts.

There's also the issue of scaling the svg images using librsvg, which
can only scale using cairo or with a deprecated method.  If I read the
above thread correctly, the suggestions are:

1. Find a way to use librsvg + cairo to scale images in a toolkit
independent way.
2. Lars suggested to modify the XML (the svg file).
3. Change to a different svg library.

I'm not sure which of these would be the most practical.

Here's a relevant Stack Overflow question:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7540901/scaling-vector-images-through-librsvg

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas