Re: Bootstrap fails on w32

Lennart Borgman
Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> Perhaps it is Vader-style evil, after all. Today I've had the "intense
>
>pleasure" of spending about three hours trying to understand why was I
>able to do a MinGW build on one computer and GNU make ab-so-lu-te-ly
>refused to work on another, identically set-up machine... till it
>finally dawned on my that I had forgotten the "cvs update -kb"
>incantation on nt/ (I don't usually read nt/INSTALL because I'm quite
>familiar with its contents).
>
>Great. Just great.

Perhaps it is not evil. Perhaps it helps us think (more). Maybe someone
with big knowledge can add a test to makfile.w32-in that will found out
whether the file is converted or not and tell those that dare to use it.

DV

Re: Bootstrap fails on w32

Jason Rumney
Quoting martin rudalics <[hidden email]>:

> Jason Rumney wrote:
>
>  >
>  > Rather than patch the source, can you please try to debug the startup
>  > code at the bottom of w32menu.c that decides whether to use Unicode
>  > menu names. Does Windows ME have a stubbed out version of
>  > unicode_append_menu (AppendMenuW) that does nothing? The code assumes
>  > that if its not supported, that function is not present.
>  >
>  >
>  >
>
> The last time I debugged C was more than a decade ago.  If you told me
> exactly what and how to do I could try.

Set a breakpoint at the start of the function globals_of_w32menu() in w32menu.c
(currently line 2541).

Step through the function, taking note of the value that is assigned to
unicode_append_menu. If it is NULL at the end of the function, then that is
what I would have expected and the bug is elsewhere. If it is not NULL, then we
need to find some other method of finding out if unicode menus are supported.