Quit help for someone new to Emacs

Zihao Zhu

Well, it's not a joke. I found Vim will give a hint for new user how can they
really quit Vim when they try to press "C-c".

I know there's detailed message in splash screen describes that how to quit. But
if a new user use Emacs to open a file directly(e.g. run "emacs .bashrc" in
bash). They can't see this useful message.

For Emacs, "C-c" is preserved for user bindings. So it's always empty for a
Emacs without any user configuration. IMO, it maybe useful to pop a message
"Press 'C-x C-c' ('C-' means Ctrl-) to quit Emacs" in echo area when someone hit
"C-c" frequently. And no doubt that this feature can be controlled via a Lisp
variable.

What's your opinions?

--

Zihao

Re: Quit help for someone new to Emacs

Emacs - Dev mailing list
Zhu Zihao <[hidden email]> 작성:

> Well, it's not a joke. I found Vim will give a hint for new user how can
> they
> really quit Vim when they try to press "C-c".
>
> I know there's detailed message in splash screen describes that how to
> quit. But
> if a new user use Emacs to open a file directly(e.g. run "emacs .bashrc" in
> bash). They can't see this useful message.
>
> For Emacs, "C-c" is preserved for user bindings. So it's always empty for a
> Emacs without any user configuration. IMO, it maybe useful to pop a message
> "Press 'C-x C-c' ('C-' means Ctrl-) to quit Emacs" in echo area when
> someone hit
> "C-c" frequently.

Looks like the feature might only be activated when there is no .emacs or
~/.emacs.d directory. (I’m assuming that most new users that don’t know
Emacs enough to not know (or search, learn) how to quit Emacs won’t have
already configured Emacs.)

What about a ‘C-c C-c’ default binding that only gets activated when there
is no init file?

> And no doubt that this feature can be controlled via a Lisp
> variable.

In my proposal, that would just be binding C-c C-c to (message "Press 'C-x
C-c' ('C-' means Ctrl-) to quit Emacs") (or some function that Emacs uses
to display the message) so I’m not sure if there needs another variable.

> What's your opinions?

Great idea, IMO.

> —
>
> Zihao

Re: Quit help for someone new to Emacs

Memnon Anon-2
Zhu Zihao <[hidden email]> writes:

> Well, it's not a joke. I found Vim will give a hint for new user how can they
> really quit Vim when they try to press "C-c".

Emacs does have a menu bar.

Even a new user would navigate his mouse to "File"-> "Quit";
in the terminal, "F10" is a common key to access the menu
bar, and again, emacs does that here on my machine.

Unless we are talking about a special group of new
users, I do not think this is really an issue, is it?

Mem
--
/-------------------------------------------\
| SDF and SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System  |

Re: Quit help for someone new to Emacs

Mark H. David
It's a good idea. You probably have to say type C-g C-g first, since they might be in a mode that will not interpret C-x C-c correctly if they've, say, typed C-x. Someone wrote that there's a menu bar, but what if they're in a terminal?

Zihao

Re: Quit help for someone new to Emacs

Eli Zaretskii
> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 11:25:55 -0800
> From: "Mark H. David" <[hidden email]>
>
> Someone wrote that there's a menu bar, but what if they're in a terminal?

We support the menu bar on text terminals as well.  If you don't have
mouse support on a text terminal, type F10 to drop down the menu.

Re: Quit help for someone new to Emacs

Mark H. David
F10? Ok, it's great to learn of this.

> Someone wrote that there's a menu bar, but what if they're in a terminal?

We support the menu bar on text terminals as well.  If you don't have
mouse support on a text terminal, type F10 to drop down the menu.

Re: Quit help for someone new to Emacs

Zihao Zhu

> In my proposal, that would just be binding C-c C-c to (message "Press 'C-x C-c'
> ('C-' means Ctrl-) to quit Emacs") (or some function that Emacs uses to display
> the message) so I’m not sure if there needs another variable.

That's also a good solution! Thanks for suggestion.

--
Zihao

Re: Quit help for someone new to Emacs

VanL

>> that would just be binding C-c C-c...
>
> That's also a good solution!

Won't they not ask their smartphone or the smartspeaker how to save then
quit?

--
VanL., 🐞
  əə0@ 一 二 三 言 語 𝔖 元 示 証 明 海 自 己 漢 本 人 Gnus/Emacs (berkeley-unix)