Question about function prefixes

Ian Dunn

I've received a suggestion to add functionality for a Beaufort cipher[1] to my vigenere.el package.  A Beaufort cipher uses almost exactly the same algorithm as a Vigenere cipher, with some small changes.  The differences are small enough that I can modify vigenere.el to handle a Beaufort cipher with only a few lines changed.

Prefixing the Beaufort functions with "vigenere-" seems confusing to users, so would it be acceptable to prefix them with "beaufort-"?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_cipher

Ian Dunn

RE: Question about function prefixes

Drew Adams
> I've received a suggestion to add functionality for a Beaufort cipher[1] to
> my vigenere.el package.  A Beaufort cipher uses almost exactly the same
> algorithm as a Vigenere cipher, with some small changes.  The differences
> are small enough that I can modify vigenere.el to handle a Beaufort cipher
> with only a few lines changed.
>
> Prefixing the Beaufort functions with "vigenere-" seems confusing to users,
> so would it be acceptable to prefix them with "beaufort-"?

Is this about the prefix you use in a library that you have
authored?  If so, you can use whatever prefix you like.
If you think that using prefix `vigenere-' for something
that is different from a Vigenere cipher, then consider
changing the prefix.