Quality of PDF display in Doc-View

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Quality of PDF display in Doc-View

Robert Thorpe-2
Recently the quality of display of PDF in doc-view has gotten worse.  I
haven't changed Emacs, so it can't be a problem with Emacs.

I expect that something on the Ghostscript side has changed.  Has
anyone heard anything about a regression in Ghostscript?

BR,
Robert Thorpe


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Quality of PDF display in Doc-View

Danny YUE

On 2017-07-19 01:37, Robert Thorpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Recently the quality of display of PDF in doc-view has gotten worse.  I
> haven't changed Emacs, so it can't be a problem with Emacs.
>
> I expect that something on the Ghostscript side has changed.  Has
> anyone heard anything about a regression in Ghostscript?
>
> BR,
> Robert Thorpe

If you want to view PDF in Emacs, I strongly recommend pdf-tools.

It uses libpoppler to rander your PDF document and provides sufficient
functionality to view and manipulate PDF files, including zooming,
adding marks, annotations etc.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Install it from MELPA and start your unimaginative journey!

Hope that helps.

Danny

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Quality of PDF display in Doc-View

Marcin Borkowski-3

On 2017-07-19, at 05:11, Danny YUE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-07-19 01:37, Robert Thorpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Recently the quality of display of PDF in doc-view has gotten worse.  I
>> haven't changed Emacs, so it can't be a problem with Emacs.
>>
>> I expect that something on the Ghostscript side has changed.  Has
>> anyone heard anything about a regression in Ghostscript?
>>
>> BR,
>> Robert Thorpe
>
> If you want to view PDF in Emacs, I strongly recommend pdf-tools.

+1

> It uses libpoppler to rander your PDF document and provides sufficient
> functionality to view and manipulate PDF files, including zooming,
> adding marks, annotations etc.

Also, incremental search in pdfs.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Quality of PDF display in Doc-View

Eric Brown-3
In reply to this post by Robert Thorpe-2
Robert Thorpe <[hidden email]> writes:

> Recently the quality of display of PDF in doc-view has gotten worse.  I
> haven't changed Emacs, so it can't be a problem with Emacs.
>
> I expect that something on the Ghostscript side has changed.  Has
> anyone heard anything about a regression in Ghostscript?
>
> BR,
> Robert Thorpe


You may get better results by setting:

(setq doc-view-resolution 600)

in your initialization file and restarting emacs.

This increases the resolution of the rasterized version of the PDF, and
may help with reading e.g. math.

Best regards,
Eric


Loading...