Obsolete code in sregex.el

Kim Storm

I noticed the following declarations in sregex.el.  But I don't see
any references to them, so maybe they can be deleted?

;; Compatibility code for when we didn't have shy-groups
(defvar sregex--current-sregex nil)
(defun sregex-info () nil)
(defmacro sregex-save-match-data (&rest forms) (cons 'save-match-data forms))
(defun sregex-replace-match (r &optional f l str subexp x)
  (replace-match r f l str subexp))
(defun sregex-match-string (c &optional i x) (match-string c i))
(defun sregex-match-string-no-properties (count &optional in-string sregex)
  (match-string-no-properties count in-string))
(defun sregex-match-beginning (count &optional sregex) (match-beginning count))
(defun sregex-match-end (count &optional sregex) (match-end count))
(defun sregex-match-data (&optional sregex) (match-data))
(defun sregex-backref-num (n &optional sregex) n)

--
Kim F. Storm <[hidden email]> http://www.cua.dk

Re: Obsolete code in sregex.el

Stefan Monnier
> I noticed the following declarations in sregex.el.  But I don't see
> any references to them, so maybe they can be deleted?

As the comment indicates this is compatibility code to interact with code
that used sregex before we introduced shy-groups.  There is no such code
in Emacs.  There may not be any such code in the rest of the world either,
but I'm not in a position to assess it,

My gut feeling is that it's indeed safe to throw it away.

Re: Obsolete code in sregex.el

    I noticed the following declarations in sregex.el.  But I don't see
    any references to them, so maybe they can be deleted?

Could you please mark them obsolete?  We can delete them in the
following release.

Re: Obsolete code in sregex.el

Bob Glickstein
On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 09:04 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> My gut feeling is that it's indeed safe to throw it away.

No objections here.

Cheers,
- Bob

Richard Stallman <[hidden email]> writes:

>     I noticed the following declarations in sregex.el.  But I don't see
>     any references to them, so maybe they can be deleted?
>
> Could you please mark them obsolete?  We can delete them in the
> following release.

Bob Glickstein says that it would be ok to remove them.

--
Kim F. Storm <[hidden email]> http://www.cua.dk

Re: Obsolete code in sregex.el

Richard Stallman
    > Could you please mark them obsolete?  We can delete them in the
    > following release.

    Bob Glickstein says that it would be ok to remove them.

I won't put up a fight to delay removing them.