Modify a font colour that has no colour name

Modify a font colour that has no colour name

jonetsu
Doing C-u C-x = on a org mode link shows the face that's used.
Although the colour of the face turns out not to be a colour but a
name, 'link'.  If a colour is put in this field, the links disappear so
to say, and no colour is applied.  Is there a way to change the colour
of that face and is it possible to do it only for the links in org mode
(although I do not mind if all links everywhere are adopting the same
colour) ?

Re: Modify a font colour that has no colour name

Robert Pluim

    jonetsu> Doing C-u C-x = on a org mode link shows the face that's used.
    jonetsu> Although the colour of the face turns out not to be a colour but a
    jonetsu> name, 'link'.  If a colour is put in this field, the links disappear so
    jonetsu> to say, and no colour is applied.  Is there a way to change the colour
    jonetsu> of that face and is it possible to do it only for the links in org mode
    jonetsu> (although I do not mind if all links everywhere are adopting the same
    jonetsu> colour) ?

Links in org-mode use the 'org-link' face, so you can just do 'M-x
customize-face org-link' and set the attributes you like.

Robert

Re: Modify a font colour that has no colour name

Perry Smith-2

>    jonetsu> Doing C-u C-x = on a org mode link shows the face that's used.
>    jonetsu> Although the colour of the face turns out not to be a colour but a
>    jonetsu> name, 'link'.  If a colour is put in this field, the links disappear so
>    jonetsu> to say, and no colour is applied.  Is there a way to change the colour
>    jonetsu> of that face and is it possible to do it only for the links in org mode
>    jonetsu> (although I do not mind if all links everywhere are adopting the same
>    jonetsu> colour) ?
>
> Links in org-mode use the 'org-link' face, so you can just do 'M-x
> customize-face org-link' and set the attributes you like.
Without digging into the code, is there a way to find this out (in the
general case)?

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Modify a font colour that has no colour name

Dan Sommers
On 12/2/19 7:35 AM, Perry Smith wrote:

>>    jonetsu> Doing C-u C-x = on a org mode link shows the face that's used.
>>    jonetsu> Although the colour of the face turns out not to be a colour but a
>>    jonetsu> name, 'link'.  If a colour is put in this field, the links disappear so
>>    jonetsu> to say, and no colour is applied.  Is there a way to change the colour
>>    jonetsu> of that face and is it possible to do it only for the links in org mode
>>    jonetsu> (although I do not mind if all links everywhere are adopting the same
>>    jonetsu> colour) ?
>>
>> Links in org-mode use the 'org-link' face, so you can just do 'M-x
>> customize-face org-link' and set the attributes you like.
>
> Without digging into the code, is there a way to find this out (in the
> general case)?

Do M-x customize-face, but don't press return; the prompt will
tell you which face you're about to customize, and then you can
press C-g.

HTH,
Dan

Re: Modify a font colour that has no colour name

Robert Pluim

    jonetsu> Doing C-u C-x = on a org mode link shows the face that's used.
    jonetsu> Although the colour of the face turns out not to be a colour but a
    jonetsu> name, 'link'.  If a colour is put in this field, the links disappear so
    jonetsu> to say, and no colour is applied.  Is there a way to change the colour
    jonetsu> of that face and is it possible to do it only for the links in org mode
    jonetsu> (although I do not mind if all links everywhere are adopting the same
    jonetsu> colour) ?

    >> Links in org-mode use the 'org-link' face, so you can just do 'M-x
    >> customize-face org-link' and set the attributes you like.

    Perry> Without digging into the code, is there a way to find this out (in the
    Perry> general case)?

No code needed: C-u C-x = will tell you which face is being used by
the character under point.

Robert

Re: Modify a font colour that has no colour name

jonetsu
On Mon, 02 Dec 2019 15:13:42 +0100
Robert Pluim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No code needed: C-u C-x = will tell you which face is being used by
> the character under point.

On the first screen, yes.  Where it shows:

  There are text properties here:
  face                 org-link

'org-link' is a link itself.  Clicking it gives another screen, with
two links at the top:

Clicking 'customize this face' gives another screen which shows the
well-known field where to enter the colour name.  On that screen
'Inherit' is enabled and in lieu of the colour the following is shown:

'link' is where the colour name would be.  Changing 'link' for an
actual colour name it does not give good results.  Hence my question.

    jonetsu> Robert Pluim <[hidden email]> wrote:

    >> No code needed: C-u C-x = will tell you which face is being used by
    >> the character under point.

    jonetsu> On the first screen, yes.  Where it shows:

    jonetsu>   There are text properties here:
    jonetsu>   face                 org-link

    jonetsu> 'org-link' is a link itself.  Clicking it gives another screen, with
    jonetsu> two links at the top:

    jonetsu> Face: org-link (sample) (customize this face)

    jonetsu> Clicking 'customize this face' gives another screen which shows the
    jonetsu> well-known field where to enter the colour name.  On that screen
    jonetsu> 'Inherit' is enabled and in lieu of the colour the following is shown:

    jonetsu> Face: (sample) link

    jonetsu> 'link' is where the colour name would be.  Changing 'link' for an
    jonetsu> actual colour name it does not give good results.  Hence my question.

'Inherit' means 'inherit everything from this named face'. If you want
to set the colour directly, you should click on 'Show All Attributes',
and then set the 'Foreground' attribute as desired.

Robert

Re: Modify a font colour that has no colour name

VanL

>     Perry> Without digging into the code, is there a way to find this out (in the
>     Perry> general case)?
>
> No code needed: C-u C-x = will tell you which face is being used by
> the character under point.

There's a function that lists all the faces and their colors, but the
name I forget.  The ones that are difficult to see you then 'customize'.

--
LoL,
  School of Secret Art

Re: Modify a font colour that has no colour name

[...]

M-x list-faces-display RET, maybe?

Re: Modify a font colour that has no colour name

jonetsu
On Mon, 02 Dec 2019 17:41:07 +0100
Robert Pluim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 'Inherit' means 'inherit everything from this named face'. If you want
> to set the colour directly, you should click on 'Show All Attributes',
> and then set the 'Foreground' attribute as desired.

Thanks, this works very well.

I also disabled 'Inherit' while changing the foreground colour and added
an underline.

describe-text-properties?

Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]> writes:

>> From: VanL <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2019 08:06:54 +1100
>>
>> There's a function that lists all the faces and their colors, but the
>> name I forget.
>
> describe-text-properties?

M-x list-faces-display
    ;; Let people alias that name to list-all-faces?
    ;; I really can't remember list-faces-display.

--
LoL,
  School of Secret Art
  əə0@ 一 二 三 言 語 𝔖

Re: Modify a font colour that has no colour name

Emacs - Help mailing list
VanL wrote:

>>> There's a function that lists all the faces
>>> and their colors, but the name I forget.
>>
>> describe-text-properties?
>
> M-x list-faces-display ;; Let people alias that
> name to list-all-faces? ;; I really
> can't remember list-faces-display.

If you are creative (ha) enough, you just need
to remember the name of the faces:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/figures/emacs/emacs-lisp-faces.png

Do it today, in a different way!

https://dataswamp.org/~incal

RE: Modify a font colour that has no colour name

> M-x list-faces-display
> ;; Let people alias that name to list-all-faces?
> ;; I really can't remember list-faces-display.

list-colors-display
list-faces-display
list-fonts-display

Drew Adams wrote:

>> M-x list-faces-display ;; Let people alias
>> that name to list-all-faces? ;; I really
>> can't remember list-faces-display.
>
> list-colors-display

; no colors

> list-faces-display