Method to hide minibuffer

Emacs - Help mailing list
I would like to hide the minibuffer.
I’ve searched the web, but couldn’t find any method for hiding the minibuffer, but only methods to hide the modeline :-(

Is there any method?

Re: Method to hide minibuffer

Tomas Zerolo
On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 04:23:57PM +0900, 조성빈 via help-gnu-emacs wrote:
> I would like to hide the minibuffer.
> I’ve searched the web, but couldn’t find any method for hiding the minibuffer, but only methods to hide the modeline :-(

The technical term for what you want to disappear
is the "message area". The minibuffer is something
(sometimes) shown whithin that.

Here are some approaches which might do what you
want. TL;DR: you can't totally get rid of it, but
you can confine it to a frame you don't show:

  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5079466/hide-emacs-echo-area-during-inactivity

HTH
-- t

Re: Method to hide minibuffer

Emacs - Help mailing list

> 2019. 5. 28. 오후 4:39, [hidden email] 작성:
>
> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 04:23:57PM +0900, 조성빈 via help-gnu-emacs wrote:
>> I would like to hide the minibuffer.
>> I’ve searched the web, but couldn’t find any method for hiding the minibuffer, but only methods to hide the modeline :-(
>
> The technical term for what you want to disappear
> is the "message area". The minibuffer is something
> (sometimes) shown whithin that.
>
> Here are some approaches which might do what you
> want. TL;DR: you can't totally get rid of it, but
> you can confine it to a frame you don't show:
>
>  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5079466/hide-emacs-echo-area-during-inactivity

Thanks, I’ll take a look.

via help-gnu-emacs wrote:

> Thanks, I’ll take a look.

But don't do it. It is a bad idea :(

https://dataswamp.org/~incal

RE: Method to hide minibuffer

> you can confine it to a frame you don't show:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5079466/hide-emacs-echo-area-during-inactivity

Yes, it's possible to do things like use a separate
minibuffer frame, and then make that frame invisible
or transparent (alpha) or lowered in the stacking
order - and then bring it back normally when you
are prompted for minibuffer input.

But you _really_ do NOT want to do that, OP.  One
good reason is that the same real estate is used
for the echo area: messages to you.  And messages
to you include prompts for non-minibuffer input.

Consider just these two uses of the echo area, for
instance: Isearch (it does NOT use the minibuffer,
even though that's not obvious) and prompts to read
input other than minibuffer input.

The latter includes prompts when reading a character,
such as is done by `y-or-n-p' and `query-replace*'.

Any user interaction that makes use of the echo area
will be lost (not seen) if you hide that screen real
estate.