M-x customize and long lines

Yegor Timoshenko
M-x customize sometimes produces very long lines (for example, try
customizing eshell-modules-list). Here's what I get:

(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(eshell-modules-list
   (quote
    (eshell-alias eshell-cmpl eshell-dirs eshell-glob eshell-hist eshell-ls
eshell-term eshell-tramp eshell-unix)))

How do I make M-x customize respect 80 chars per line limit? Is there a
hook? I couldn't find one.

Thanks!
Yegor

RE: M-x customize and long lines

Drew Adams
> M-x customize sometimes produces very long lines (for example, try
> customizing eshell-modules-list). Here's what I get:
>
> (custom-set-variables
>  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>  ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>  ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>  ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(eshell-modules-list
>    (quote
>     (eshell-alias eshell-cmpl eshell-dirs eshell-glob eshell-hist eshell-ls
> eshell-term eshell-tramp eshell-unix)))
>
> How do I make M-x customize respect 80 chars per line limit? Is there a
> hook? I couldn't find one.

1. I don't think there is one, out of the box.

2. If you define `custom-file' then you won't need to care about
   how Customize writes to it.  You will likely never edit it
   or even look at it.

You might want to file an enhancement request
(`M-x report-emacs-bug'), asking that Customize use `fill-column'
when it pretty-prints.

Re: M-x customize and long lines

Yegor Timoshenko
Thanks! I've sent an enhancement request.